Formation Speculation

I think Mix will be playing CDM, like he did against Haiti, for NYCFC now with Lampard and Pirlo in the midfield.

During the broadcast of the game against Toronto, I've heard the commentator mentioned about playing Villa up front alone, probably deploying a 5 men midfield.

So this is my two cents on a 5 men midfield, having Jacobson there with Pirlo as defensive midfield, we can drop Jacobson as CB when Angelino and/or Iraola push forward.

--------------Villa---------------
-----------Lampard------------
---T-Mac----------------Mix---
-----------Jacob--Pirlo--------
Angelino------------------Iraola
-------Facey---Hernandez---
-----------Saunders------------

Reactions: Shu78540 and Kjbert
During the broadcast of the game against Toronto, I've heard the commentator mentioned about playing Villa up front alone, probably deploying a 5 men midfield.

So this is my two cents on a 5 men midfield, having Jacobson there with Pirlo as defensive midfield, we can drop Jacobson as CB when Angelino and/or Iraola push forward.

--------------Villa---------------
-----------Lampard------------
---T-Mac----------------Mix---
-----------Jacob--Pirlo--------
Angelino------------------Iraola
-------Facey---Hernandez---
-----------Saunders------------

I would prefer Ballouchy or Lampard wide instead of McNamara. I really like McNamara but I don't think he plays well as a LM or RM. Certainly willing to hustle and track back, but his offensive potential is missed there. Prefer him as a CAM only. Only place I really rate him.

I don't know if Lampard can play as a shuttler. I think if he does, he has to play RM with Iraola to cover. Unless Angelino isn't a starter and Wingert is the starting LB. Being that Wingert doesn't get up the field, then you could play Lampard as your LM in the formation and not worry about defensive cover. That allows Poku or McNamara to play as the CAM.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
slightly off topic but still personnel related and I couldn't find a better place. Who is taking free kicks when Pirlo arrives? Obviously Prilo is a master but Villa has a bit of a streak going? Not a bad problem to have, can you imagine how confused a keeper would be with both of them standing over the ball. Still interesting to consider, I can't see a goal scorer like Villa willingly giving up the job. Additionally is Lampard ever taking a free kick? Nothing against Lampard just it seems like he is a distant third when compared to the others as a free kick option.

Clearly Pirlo. Villa can be next in line and 1st for PKs.

I don't think it's as clear as that. Villa is a world class striker with a serious resume as well. He's been here from the beginning and has back to back goals on free kicks in the last two games. I think Prilo may take some of the medium distance ones 4-8 yards outside the box but my bet is Villa will keep taking the kicks close to the box until his conversion rate drops off.

Pirlo takes the free kicks. It's not even a question. If he is match fit, he takes free kicks. Villa is your best goal scorer. We're not talking about a guy who is an aerial wiz or long range sniper here. Villa is a guy who gets in the box and vultures goals. You want him making a near post run or there to clean up a mess. Same with Lampard.

If there was anyone else on the team worth a damn (and I know Ballouchy has taken some), Villa wouldn't be taking free kicks now.

Reactions: gbservis
slightly off topic but still personnel related and I couldn't find a better place. Who is taking free kicks when Pirlo arrives? Obviously Prilo is a master but Villa has a bit of a streak going? Not a bad problem to have, can you imagine how confused a keeper would be with both of them standing over the ball. Still interesting to consider, I can't see a goal scorer like Villa willingly giving up the job. Additionally is Lampard ever taking a free kick? Nothing against Lampard just it seems like he is a distant third when compared to the others as a free kick option.

Villa can stand side by side with Pirlo, but given that both are right footed, it's hard to confuse the keeper. I would prefer Villa be standing inside the box to hunt for the rebounds.

There's something that stuck out to me last game that got me a bit excited. There was a sequence where Angelino got the ball on the left side and made a really dangerous pass on the ground, hard to the top of the 18. Mcnamara had shielded his guy off from getting to the ball before it eventually found Ballouchy, who should have netted it, yet didn't. Anyone who has watch Lampard or read about him will know that that is his signature run, and with his skill, we can feel better about playing that ball and scoring going forward.

Even though Villa has scored in the past two games with his free kicks, he wasn't doing much with them earlier in the season. I think Pirlo takes the free kicks, and Villa continues to take the PKs. If Pirlo isn't on the field, then Villa can step up.

I don't think he will have a problem stepping aside for someone like Pirlo. He wasn't the first choice free-kick taker at Barcelona, or for the Spanish National Team.

Villa's goals the last two games have been great, but I wasn't all that thrilled with his service before that, especially on corners. Better to have him on the end of a kick than delivering it.

Reactions: Kjbert
Following the Toronto match and the average tactical formation data, I concocted this as a worthy formation once Pirlo joins (and it presumes Mena is in form):
eEmOW5T.jpg

If Angelino and Iraola are to play as the attacking wingbacks they are, we need Pirlo to serve them precise passes and also drop back to fill their defensive holes (one hopes they are disciplined enough to not be forward at the same time).

Once forward, Angelino/Iraola can receive Pirlo's service, and pass it on to Villa, Lampard or Poku depending on the opportunities of the moment.

Last edited:
As we have learned the last two games, McNamara is not a wide player. Doesn't have the defensive instincts, the crossing ability or the speed to play the shuttler role in this formation. Yet, Grabavoy played as the CAM and McNamara as the LM in those games.

Stupid, stupid coaching.

Reactions: Paul and Gavin23
As we have learned the last two games, McNamara is not a wide player. Doesn't have the defensive instincts, the crossing ability or the speed to play the shuttler role in this formation. Yet, Grabavoy played as the CAM and McNamara as the LM in those games.

Stupid, stupid coaching.
Agree'd McNamara is TOOOO slow, although he should have had a penalty towards the end of the game. And I seriously don't understand why Grabavoy is like even on the team....

Next week, we might finally see Lampard and Pirlo on the field. Of all the suggestions we've kicked around in this thread, I think some version of this is the right way to go:

Kreis' "expansion draft" midfielders of choice have settled onto Jacobson, Grabavoy, Ballouchy, and McNamara of late.

Of those four, I actually believe Jacobson to be the least expendable. When he actually plays his position as a high effort midfield sweeper between the center backs, our defense plays significantly better. (In games we struggle offensively, like last week and against the Red Bulls, he creeps up the field to no effect and then the whole team goes to shit.)

Pirlo and Lampard will naturally fit into the positions I mocked out for them above, and Jacobson's cover will really solidify the core.

The last midfielder will normally be Mix, who should be freed up to just make plays. He'll miss at least one more game due to the Gold Cup, so either McNamara or Ballouchy can fill in for now.

Lastly, up top has to be Mullins, I supposed. Not necessarily because he's earned it, but because there's no forward or midfield alternatives that actually deserve to be on the field.

Summed up and drawn a little cleaner, I would go with this for next week:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

I just don't trust our defense in the hands of our CB's, attacking FB's, and a late 30's CDM. For me, Jacobson has to be in there.

I didn't draw arrows around Lampard because I don't expect him to run. Kreis can play around with the Lampard/McNamara/Mullins spots to find the right combo - adding Mix after the Gold Cup and subbing out Lampard after 60 minutes.

An update on my favored 4-2-3-1 formation.

On August 1 against the Impact, when everyone should be available.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Villa - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - McNamara - - - Lampard - - - - - Mix - - - -

- - - - - - - Jacobson - - - - - - - Pirlo - - - - - - - - -

- Angelino - Facey - Hernandez/Mena - Iraola -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Saunders - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like McNamara on the left - he and Angelino had some good chemistry last weekend. As others have pointed out, Jacobson is our most effective midfielder, and we will need him deep to provide cover for Pirlo, who also needs to lie deep.

For July 26 against Orlando - assuming that Pirlo and Lamps are available...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Villa - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - McNamara - - - Lampard - - - - - Poku - - -

- - - - - - - Jacobson - - - - - - - Pirlo - - - - - - - - -

- - Angelino - - Facey - - Hernandez - - Iraola -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Saunders - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If Pirlo is limited, then maybe go 4-4-2 with Mullins and Villa up front, Lamps fronting the diamond, Mac and Poku on the wings and Jacobson in back, replaced by Pirlo in the 2nd half.