Galaxy Postmatch

Not sure if this belongs in the stadium thread or this one, but it’s was surprising and frustrating to find out the water fountains were all removed -I typically bring an empty water bottle in and fill it rather than pay $5 for their water. The excuse I was given was that the fountains were removed before the winter to prevent freezing pipes, but that’s just crazy since every water-fed device has a shut-off valve, and turning them off/draining the main pipes is a lot less effort than physically removing fountains and capping the pipes - that’s Union type work that costs reall money. And what’s really surprising is that from a code issue, regarding the health/safety of the end users, the facility is required to have operating fountains and/or bottle filling stations (number of fixtures is dependent on quantity of maximum occupants).... yet Yankee stadium had nothing set up that didn’t cost money.

Edit: to be clear, I was told they’ll be put back in time for the Yankee’s season. Not kidding, the security person by one said she was frustrated too, and they were told they’re coming by in time for the Yankees.

Last edited:
Not sure if this belongs in the stadium thread or this one, but it’s was surprising and frustrating to find out the water fountains were all removed -I typically bring an empty water bottle in and fill it rather than pay $5 for their water. The excuse I was given was that the fountains were removed before the winter to prevent freezing pipes, but that’s just crazy since every water-fed device has a shut-off valve, and turning them off/draining the main pipes is a lot less effort than physically removing fountains and capping the pipes - that’s Union type work that costs reall money. And what’s really surprising is that from a code issue, regarding the health/safety of the end users, the facility is required to have operating fountains and/or bottle filling stations (number of fixtures is dependent on quantity of maximum occupants).... yet Yankee stadium had nothing set up that didn’t cost money.

Shit. Email and call everyone that controls Yankee Stadium. NYCFC, Yankees, NYC Government. That's bullshit.

Reactions: hatt91

Can we report them?

I just feel like he is a bit bored. Ring is the ball winner. Maxi is the puppeteer. What's Herrera supposed to be? Maybe Vieira needs to give him a role to grow into. He was a real centerpiece for the Venezuela U20s. I suspect he needs a challenge. Something other than "the other guy in our juggernaut midfield".

With his engine, skill and physical presence, I could see him becoming a Vidal / Paulinho sorta player who scores a decent number of scrappy goals. He should have had at least two in this match.

And yeah, I realize I'm speculating wildly. Maybe the challenge becomes winning his spot back from Ofori.

Everything else said in this thread I think I agree with. There's not a lot of meat left on this bone, but:
  • Sweat and Tinnerholm swapped wings on the goal we conceded, and I remember thinking that the Galaxy wingers may have swapped at the same time, so I thought it was a novel defensive tactic (that obviously went tits up). May have to re-watch.

With regards to the Sweat/Tinn swap on the goal I think it was the result of getting out of position after a set piece and not having time to reset. Don't think it had anything to do with tactics.

As far as Herrera goes he does seem to drift at times. One of the midfielders needs to make a consistent scoring contribution so I like the suggestion that Herrera be tasked with that. At times during both games it has seemed like he's been given instructions to be the midfielder furthest up the field, both in the press and in the attack. Maxi is doing what this team needs but it also must be hard for Herrera to sort out his role when Maxi's role appears to be go all over the field wherever he wants and everyone else has to adjust.

Edit: to be clear, I was told they’ll be put back in time for the Yankee’s season. Not kidding, the security person by one said she was frustrated too, and they were told they’re coming by in time for the Yankees.
Behind my section, 114A, there's a bathroom with a fountain and it was removed and blocked off. Now it is home to many other panels used for blocking off other removed fountains. I was upset because I usually chug that nice cold water for halftime rehydration.

Behind my section, 114A, there's a bathroom with a fountain and it was removed and blocked off. Now it is home to many other panels used for blocking off other removed fountains. I was upset because I usually chug that nice cold water for halftime rehydration.
you can now put that tote to good use by filling it with unopened water bottles

Maybe too many people were drinking out of fountains like the citizens of Pawnee. They could be introducing new mouth covers for the upcoming season...

Maybe too many people were drinking out of fountains like the citizens of Pawnee. They could be introducing new mouth covers for the upcoming season...

XS5LK.gif

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan surprised to hear you thought Herrera stunk. I thought he played above average this weekend.

I'm not sure that I understand what his role is. Could someone post a heat map? It looked like he was playing further up the pitch as more of a second 10. Does that make sense?

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan surprised to hear you thought Herrera stunk. I thought he played above average this weekend.

I'm not sure that I understand what his role is. Could someone post a heat map? It looked like he was playing further up the pitch as more of a second 10. Does that make sense?
I didn’t say he stunk. Although, I wouldn’t completely disagree with someone saying he did.

He just seems to have focus problems - or maybe it’s that he’s focusing so hard on where he should be and his tactical responsibilities that he’s not able to feel free. At least a time or two per half it seems, he just has a ridiculous and laughably unnecessary turnover.

Perhaps PV needs to put him on the piety plan a while. Right Christopher Jee ?

Thank you. Could you overlay that LAG with Maxi? Did Maxi play to the right and Herrera to the left? Where do you find this stuff? Amazon Alexa?

It literally has the websites on both images.

ETA - I know its a lot of work but if you go to the who scored website you can turn on and off any players you want.

Thank you. Could you overlay that LAG with Maxi? Did Maxi play to the right and Herrera to the left? Where do you find this stuff? Amazon Alexa?

The heatmaps are WhoScored, the Opta events are MLS Matchcenter. And yeah so far this year Maxi's played to the right and slightly higher, although both guys take turns dropping deep and pushing up between the lines. My complaint with Herrera is usually that he drifts when he should drop—he's not the most positionally aware player on the team, but he's young.

Interesting. So Maxi plays up and to the right. We have an inverted right winger. Our right back plays like a right winger.

And on the left, we play differently. Does that sound about right?

Interesting. So Maxi plays up and to the right. We have an inverted right winger. Our right back plays like a right winger.

And on the left, we play differently. Does that sound about right?

There are definitely some asymmetries but the basic principles are the same on both sides. The differences come down to the players. The left side is better in own-half possession because Callens and Sweat are good passers and Herrera's been playing a little deeper than Maxi, while the right side is better going forward because, well, they're better players.