Galaxy Postmatch

Villa had some shaky moments and made some odd decisions yesterday. Prior to the goal, he had passed off in situations when he probably should have been more selfish. I joked to the guy next to me that I was glad he didn't try to pass that tap in.

I think he is still not completely in sync to start the season, but even still, he is one of the best in the league.

I do think he's not used to the right side's passing thought process yet. His movements seem much more natural when Wallace and Sweat are attacking directly down the left. At a minimum Maxi, Medina, and Anton get him the ball in positions that are different and at angles that are different than Harrison or the RB last year.

As an aside, the right side is a whole lot more intricate this year opposed to the left which is much more direct. It does make for some interesting/exciting play.

Reactions: Ulrich
This may have been commented on earlier, but I thought that the turn-out was promising. It seemed to me that the reported attendance numbers of close to capacity looked to be pretty close to butts in seats. Even just the reported number was an increase by a couple of thousand from last year (I believe). Was it me, or did it look and feel like a full(ish) stadium (other than the uppers)?

Villa does look like he's off a step or two. Could be age or could be getting to know the new guys. It's ok to point it out.

Super excited that the home opener coincided with my trip to the city.

Thought it was a great game overall. I did think Villa looked off the pace a bit, at least compared to his usual standards. But, with that said, you could still tell he’s a level above most other players in the league.

I also thought Anton had a solid game and that was the first time I’ve seen him play.

My girlfriend, who is a big soccer fan that hasn’t been to a game since the first season was blown away by how much improved we are as a team since then. So props to the club and Viera. I think the difference is less noticeable if you watch the team every week so it’s nice to get a different perspective.

Nobody’s mentioned it yet, but once LA scored, after we missed so many promising opportunities, it really felt like the inevitable was about to happen again where we lose a lead in the last 5min. The mentality of the team changed and it looked like they were scared to play possession (even being up a man) and instead were rushing passes. I don’t know why the team always looks tentative after giving up a goal, even if still leading, but playing scared rather than playing the way the lead was built is a recipe for disaster that we experienced too many times last season. And maybe some of it is how PV makes his substitutions, or when, or both, but we should have TUMS sponsor the 80th minute onward.

This may have been commented on earlier, but I thought that the turn-out was promising. It seemed to me that the reported attendance numbers of close to capacity looked to be pretty close to butts in seats. Even just the reported number was an increase by a couple of thousand from last year (I believe). Was it me, or did it look and feel like a full(ish) stadium (other than the uppers)?
I definitely saw the same. It looked empty at kickoff, but 10 minutes later or so and for the rest of the game it looked full.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
Herrera definitely improved since last week, but a few of his passes were off again today. He also got into an exemplary shooting position twice, but ended up muffing both chances. Hopefully he's still shaking off some rust, otherwise Ofori may be coming up for his spot if he doesn't sharpen up.

I agree he was better but still nowhere near what we saw from him at his best last year, which is exciting to think about.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Just want to point out that the same was said last year early in the season
If a step slow Villa takes a goal or assist once a game, I'll take it.

Here's my prediction: goal tally way down (say 15), assist tally way up, with assists in at least 8 of Berget's 14 goals.

Last edited:
We haven't really discussed the controversial calls from the game.

The Instant Replay guys weigh in. Both think the Boateng tackle on Villa in the box should have been a penalty. Both think the yellow on Cole was proper as he clipped Villa's foot. Both think Cole could have been given a red a little before for his tackle on Herrera (although a Yellow wasn't necessarily wrong either).

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...2-why-rsl-have-right-be-steamed?autoplay=true

We are the last game they discuss.

We haven't really discussed the controversial calls from the game.

The Instant Replay guys weigh in. Both think the Boateng tackle on Villa in the box should have been a penalty. Both think the yellow on Cole was proper as he clipped Villa's foot. Both think Cole could have been given a red a little before for his tackle on Herrera (although a Yellow wasn't necessarily wrong either).

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...2-why-rsl-have-right-be-steamed?autoplay=true

We are the last game they discuss.
/R/MLS is triggered.

Reactions: Kjbert
Herrera definitely improved since last week, but a few of his passes were off again today. He also got into an exemplary shooting position twice, but ended up muffing both chances. Hopefully he's still shaking off some rust, otherwise Ofori may be coming up for his spot if he doesn't sharpen up.
I didn't think Herrera was very good, either. Several head scratchers. But he was 100x better than last week .

Reactions: Schwallacus

Is it really that hard to correctly pronounce the name of your star player? Especially if you are going to be recognizing him for an achievement

Marty Edelman. On the board of CFG. He's basically the highest ranking guy full time in New York for CFG. Cringe worthy.

Reactions: Kjbert and hatt91

Is it really that hard to correctly pronounce the name of your star player? Especially if you are going to be recognizing him for an achievement
You're worried about his pronunciation of "David Villa" when we should all be worried by the fact that he clearly can't read numbers.