Grabavoy

Agreed. After the lineups were announced, it was like fait acompli was presented to all in the stands, and the most hope anybody had was getting through the concession lines with a beer and food in less than 20 minutes and before NYCFC was down a goal.

Not sure how this kind of hyperbole about Grabavoy became so fashionable this season. For the record, I think he was fucking awful last season, he shouldn't have played as often as he did, and I'd be glad if he was cut. But we still won six times in games that he started. If his presence alone was enough to make you give up on games, that probably says more about you than it does about him.

Reactions: Gene
Not sure how this kind of hyperbole about Grabavoy became so fashionable this season. For the record, I think he was fucking awful last season, he shouldn't have played as often as he did, and I'd be glad if he was cut. But we still won six times in games that he started. If his presence alone was enough to make you give up on games, that probably says more about you than it does about him.
It's more the lineups as a whole. Grabavoy in. AJ always in. Mix never in the central mid. Poku never starting. It's the gestalt more than Ned specifically. For me anyway.

This got me wondering, so I looked it up.
Ned started 22 games with a PPG of 1.0
He DNPd in 8 games with a PPG of 1.0
He subbed in 4 games with a PPG of 1.75.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Ned Grabavoy, NYCFC Super Sub.
Yes I'm kidding, but those are the numbers. For all non-starts the PPG was 1.25.

And I think FootyLovin FootyLovin's response covers the real issue.

Well, I'm a realist, so go ahead and psychoanalyze me if that's what you were alluding to. With the exception of one game where he seemed to carry his lucky rabbits foot, the team won games in spite of Grabavoy, not because of his stellar play contributing to the outcome. In the games he played in that were wins, and you name 5 others, I can probably count on 2 hands how many great plays he had and still have digits left over.

Yes I'm kidding, but those are the numbers. For all non-starts the PPG was 1.25.

I'd be curious in the games he subbed in or started, were the goals scored with him in the game, or when he was off the field? He could have subbed in after the goals were scored by us, or the other team could have scored when he was on - like in hockey, what was his +/- ?

I'd be curious in the games he subbed in or started, were the goals scored with him in the game, or when he was off the field? He could have subbed in after the goals were scored by us, or the other team could have scored when he was on - like in hockey, what was his +/- ?
If he started 22 games, he must have put me at +18 in times I'm bitched at by my wife for booing our own lineups.

We don't see eye to eye on support. I believe proper support includes being critical. She prefers willfully blind optimism.

I'm more curious as to how many points were salvaged from games after he was removed from play. It's probably not very many, but I'm still curious.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm more curious as to how many points were salvaged from games after he was removed from play. It's probably not very many, but I'm still curious.
I went through this exercise with one other player and found the results to be less than meaningful. It also led to confusion when I posted the counter-intuitive result that we happened to be much worse with him playing than without. No matter how many times I said I didn't think it was proof it was his fault people kept commenting as if I proved, or at least tried to prove, just that.
So unless I get really bored, or more likely, in need of a procrastination :rolleyes: activity , I don't expect I'll do this analysis.

That player is more beloved than Ned.
True, but I still doubt the meaning of +/- for soccer either way. I think the sample is too small. 44% of our negative GD came from the Galaxy game. If you played 90 minutes that day it kills you.
I've noticed a similar thing when people try to showcase a bench player, especially offensive ones, by touting their Goals or Assists Per Minute. It gets very skewed compared to even great players who usually go 90.
Grabs was not good because we saw what we saw.

Fact of the matter is this - When a player is on 215k in MLS, he needs to be a NO-BRAINER starter for your team. If the majority of your fanbase doesn't recognize his value or agree that he needs to be penciled into the Starting 11 every weekend, then he can't be making 215k in wages.

Unfortunately for us, we had about 6 of those guys last year. Not good.

Fact of the matter is this - When a player is on 215k in MLS, he needs to be a NO-BRAINER starter for your team. If the majority of your fanbase doesn't recognize his value or agree that he needs to be penciled into the Starting 11 every weekend, then he can't be making 215k in wages.

Unfortunately for us, we had about 6 of those guys last year. Not good.
Just to put things into perspective ,£250,000 a WEEK is not an uncommon wage in the EPL even crap players are on £50,000 a week

Just to put things into perspective ,£250,000 a WEEK is not an uncommon wage in the EPL even crap players are on £50,000 a week

Unfortunately, things are different in MLS. 250k pounds a week in the EPL is for a player of Wayne Rooney's stature. It's also the equivalent of roughly 325k dollars a week.

In MLS, we don't offer wages that large.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Unfortunately, things are different in MLS. 250k pounds a week in the EPL is for a player of Wayne Rooney's stature. It's also the equivalent of roughly 325k dollars a week.

In MLS, we don't offer wages that large.
Yeah I get that mate ,its rumoured that Rooney and swinstiger are on closer to £300k a week.don't know what you read in your press but Rooney is absolutely finished at the top level and 99%of the rag fans want him dropped and shipped out of the club but they carnt do anything about it as he's sat on another 3 year contract

What the hell are you on about? Very few players are on 250k a week in the EPL. I find your posts totally arrogant. You try and come on here and try to be superior to everyone!

The 215k they are talking about isn't for a week, but a year.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Yeah I get that mate ,its rumoured that Rooney and swinstiger are on closer to £300k a week.don't know what you read in your press but Rooney is absolutely finished at the top level and 99%of the rag fans want him dropped and shipped out of the club but they carnt do anything about it as he's sat on another 3 year contract

We read and hear the same things as you in that regard. People want Rooney gone. I don't like watching their particular brand of football (you would hope a Dutchman could play more attractively), but they are always on over here. Rooney looks lost. And Martial needs to play as a CF every game.

We read and hear the same things as you in that regard. People want Rooney gone. I don't like watching their particular brand of football (you would hope a Dutchman could play more attractively), but they are always on over here. Rooney looks lost. And Martial needs to play as a CF every game.
Martial has turned out better than anyone thought but he's only young so will have dips in form.I've never seen a fanbase turn on a player like Rooney before have a look at redcafe utd fan site,it makes the grabavoy thread seem like a love in .lol