Help?

Johnny Marr

Registered
Apr 12, 2015
Guys, my family (5 of us) are travelling from Scotland to NYC 25 June and as we are footy mad we (me and the 2 boys) have tickets for the match v Red Bulls on Sunday 27 June.

Any help or advice re the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan (midtown east) on the afternoon of 25/6 would be greatly appreciated.

Wife not keen to do public transport so taxis, limos companies etc ??? There will be 5 of us in total.

Also any advice re best way to get to the stadium from Midtown East on the Sunday and what time should we head to the stadium (I need to pick our tickets up at the ground).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Johnny Marr, Edinburgh, Scotland

Will this be your first trip to the states?

The best option for you would be taking a taxi, which would the traditional yellow cab. There are a cabs that can accomodate a family with luggage. Falastur Falastur could probably give you an idea of the price and overall "what to expect" during your journey.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I would recommend a cab from the airport as well. When you get to the front of the queue they will ask you how many people are with you and line up a cab for you that can fit 5. Assuming the three of you traveling to the game are not public transit adverse the subway will be the easiest. From mid-town east get the 4 train (green line) at grand central (42nd st and lexington) and take it to the yankee stadium stop and you will exit right outside the stadium. If you are a little further north you can also get on the 4 train at 59th and lexington. Enjoy your visit, hopefully we can get a win that night.

I am almost positive there is a flat rate from the airport depending on destination - ie. $20 to this neighborhood, $50 to this neighborhood, and probably changes with number of passengers - that being said once you are in the city public transport is really the way to go. sure it's dirty and full of awfulness - but it gets you everywhere with limited issues.

Don't take a strange gypsy/non-cab cab from the airport - they will spot you as a non-local and rip you off real good.

If you decide to public trans it all the way from the airport - it will cost you about $7.50 a person because the airtran to and from Kennedy (special airport train) is $5. Then another 2.50 for the subway after. So depending on the cab cost it's certainly easier, and probably worth your time/money/frustration to cab it.

1)get a Yellow Taxi Cab from the airport (its more expensive but thats what you want)

2) the B D and 4 trains go to the stadium. I would reccomend letting an hour for travel to the stadium.

3) go to the Family Dollar (poundland USA) by the bleacher entrance for cheap stadium food (pringles 1$, water 1$, crisps of american sorts etc)

4) go to the postgame celebrations

I just priced it with SuperShuttle and it's $97 for an SUV for all five people, or $125 non-stop, from JFK to Yankee Stadium in a van. SuperShuttle's a van/car service that's shared with other riders to make it cheaper. I've used them a bunch of times in other cities in the (distant) past and they've been pretty good.

Oops, just re-read your post again. Shared van to a randomly selected hotel in midtown $100, non-stop van $115.

A cab might be cheaper but it'll be tough fitting five people plus luggage in a cab so they might make you take two. Cab fare from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate $52.80 plus probably $8 for a tunnel toll.

And remember, tip generously for good service (15 to 20%).

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Guys, my family (5 of us) are travelling from Scotland to NYC 25 June and as we are footy mad we (me and the 2 boys) have tickets for the match v Red Bulls on Sunday 27 June.

Any help or advice re the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan (midtown east) on the afternoon of 25/6 would be greatly appreciated.

Wife not keen to do public transport so taxis, limos companies etc ??? There will be 5 of us in total.

Also any advice re best way to get to the stadium from Midtown East on the Sunday and what time should we head to the stadium (I need to pick our tickets up at the ground).

Download 'Uber' app and select 'Uber XL', this will provide you with an SUV to fit everything. A regular taxi may not be suitable for family of 5 with luggage. Read an article that Uber has more competitive fares to and from airport now. Also, if wife does not want to take subway from midtown east (4 uptown (green line)), probably be wise to take an Uber XL again to Yankee stadium.

Otherwise, if you want a chauffeur with an S-class, I could direct message you details for someone my firm uses.

You should look into Uber. I think they may have flat rates from the airport. either way, nicer cars, nicer drivers, for the five of you you can have an SUV come get you. All done through your phone. I can't tell you how much I love Uber.

I agree with uber - and was gonna suggest it - but may not be accessible due to international phones - not sure?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT

Hey Johnny looks like you've got plenty of advice. Just FYI if you're hailing a cab outside the airport only get in a Yellow Cab. The private drivers will try to solicit you and it can be very pricey. Avoid that.

If you need a guide on gameday let me know! I usually am in Midtown east those days anyway.

Like Einwindir said, I did the exact same thing as you - I flew in from Heathrow to catch the very first home game and it was my first time in the US, so I've been in the same position. Honestly, I found the taxi the easiest way to get into Manhattan. There's a fixed fare from the airport of (I think) $52, and the taxis take credit cards, which blew my mind. They do expect you to tip (you get to pick from 15%, 20% and 26%) but it's worth it. I seem to recall Dan taking the shuttle bus back to his airport when he came and advising me against doing it as it was hot, overcrowded and took ages as it went round the houses.

It seems ridiculous if you're used to London or Edinburgh but honestly, taking taxis to travel round is not a bad shout in NYC, at least if you're new to the city and want to avoid the subway. It's not half the hassle you might think it would be. As others have said, just make sure you take one of the yellow taxis as the black taxis are private and unregulated.

To be honest, taking the subway from the airport is a bit sketchy if your new to City. But once youre in Manhattan, the subway is fine.

FYI, we're playing New Jersey Red Bulls on June 28.

Take a taxi from JFK to Midtown.

I believe Uber was trying to launch in Edinburgh so the OP might be familiar with them. I've never taken an Uber from the airport and unless you've got an unlocked phone with service for your stay in the US I don't know if you'd want to be standing in JFK messing around with your phone trying to download, install, and set up and Uber account. It might be worth it if you'd spend that time queueing for a taxi anyway, so it's really up to you. As others have mentioned the Uber might be cheaper and will probably be more comfortable as long as you select UberXL instead of just UberX. Otherwise get in the taxi line and don't let anyone talk you into getting to a cab that isn't Yellow or Green with lights on top. There's nothing wrong or unsafe about the livery/gypsey/black car cabs but you'll pay the tourist tax since those cabs do not have meters.

I believe Uber was trying to launch in Edinburgh so the OP might be familiar with them. I've never taken an Uber from the airport and unless you've got an unlocked phone with service for your stay in the US I don't know if you'd want to be standing in JFK messing around with your phone trying to download, install, and set up and Uber account. It might be worth it if you'd spend that time queueing for a taxi anyway, so it's really up to you. As others have mentioned the Uber might be cheaper and will probably be more comfortable as long as you select UberXL instead of just UberX. Otherwise get in the taxi line and don't let anyone talk you into getting to a cab that isn't Yellow or Green with lights on top. There's nothing wrong or unsafe about the livery/gypsey/black car cabs but you'll pay the tourist tax since those cabs do not have meters.

Uber is in the UK already. It's got a reputation at the moment for people's accounts getting accessed and their money being spent by random people, though.

Definitely a cab into the city. Take turns paying fares once in the city. Also don't be afraid to walk places. You'll see a lot more of the city then in a cab.
Me and Falastur Falastur walker all over the place. We went from time square all the way up to Ryan's daughter which is in the upper east side. Walked through Central Park to get there. Definitely the way to go. Then again it was cold when we were there. If it's really hot when you come then I guess taxi works.

I live here ;) Take a 5 passenger taxi from the taxi rank outside JFK , it will be a flat rate into the city(midtown) $52 +tolls so about $59 +tip $65
http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml#10
You didn't say where in Midtown you're staying , but you can either take the train @$2.75 per person on the D or the #4 train or you could cab it again. I take cabs to the stadium all the time and from Midtown it should cost around $30-35
The gates open at 5:30PM
Just saw you said Midtown East -take the #4 train from Grand Central -42 st between Lexington and Park Ave -to 161 St/ Yankee stadium-it's 6 stops from Grand Central to Yankee Stadium and it's very safe.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys, looks like a 5 person taxi at the rank at JFK is the best bet. I take it we just wait at the rank until a 5 person cab arrives if there are none there?

Really looking forward to the game.

Support Hearts here in Edinburgh, if anyone wants more info on Hearts happy to oblige and I can usually manage tickets for home games here in Edinburgh if anyone is ever in town.

We bit footage of a recent cup final win over our biggest rivals. Best day ever. never let them forget.

Cheers