Hey, Third Rail...

Drainyoo

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 27, 2014
NYC
So, before I get into this I want to make it clear that I'm not a TR member, but I am as dedicated of a fan as anyone, and I want the best for the team, its fans and supporters group. This is the reason for this post. I believe that it's very important for NYCFC to have a strong SG, so I offer these suggestions. These are constructive criticisms, and not meant to be hateful in any way. I want TR to be the best supporters group in the league. Period.

I attended the NYCFC jersey event this morning, and I was completely shocked by the lack of energy and atmosphere coming from the Third Rail. In my opinion, the primary job of a supporters group is to build an atmosphere at an event. They need to lead everyone else and build excitement. Today's event was almost silent. My jaw hit the floor when Villa came out and no one made a sound. Literally, it was quiet. I could not believe it. It was embarrassing. Being born and raised in NYC, and having attended many sporting events here, I was totally expecting the place to go wild when he came out, and I was expecting TR to lead that craziness. Instead, there was an awkward and uncomfortable silence the entire time. I will admit that the host was pretty bad, and he didn't help the situation, but this wasn't a NYC welcome that Villa/NYCFC deserved. This was our moment to show everyone that we mean business, and we failed.

Then there was the chant.

I only heard one chant, and it came at the worst time, and it quickly died out because it seemed like not all TR members know it. I'm not sure how the chants are being developed, but are you folks putting together a core list of chants, and memorizing them? I would really hope so. Keeping something like this in the air just results in what I witnessed today. Also, the chant itself doesn't seem like the best fit. I don't remember it word-for-word, but it was something about there being only one team in NY. Totally fine with a chant like this during a game against RB, when we're spanking them, but it was inappropriate for this event. It seemed petty and childish. What does RB have to do with the unveiling of our jersey? I really hope this isn't "the" chant of TR. In my opinion, the main chant needs to inspire and excite, and focus on our team, city and fans, not our rivals. There will be plenty of moments to talk smack.

Again, this is all meant to be helpful. I really want TR to be awesome as hell even if I'm not a member. A successful SG benefits everyone, especially the team. I'm not sure what are the causes of these issue. Was there only a small group of TR members? Maybe you folks don't meet up enough? Maybe there's a lack of leadership and organization? I don't know, but I'd love to hear from TR members on why things went the way they did, and how you folks plan to improve.

NYCFC per sempre.

Since Drainyooo just went at each other respectfully but aggressively in another thread I'm delighted to back him here. Everything he said is on point. And FWIW, I am a TR member, officially, although I haven't been to any events and don't know if I ever will. I just wanted to provide some support to the group as it got started. I've seen the group do good work and it can do better than today.

Reactions: Drainyoo
I'm not a member but hasn't this group only me like 3/4 times? I mean you can expect much I guess and plus due to te timing of the event there may have been many who couldn't attend either due to work/ class etc.

It is what it is for now but I'm sure it will grow still needs time. I don't know about other expansion MLS teams in their time but I am pretty sure many had already existed for some time before team was announced.

I definitely agree with you. This was a perfect opportunity to show the MLS that the TR is more than a 'plastic' SG as many others around he league are labeling it. Seeing as how they've known about this event for a long time and had 'VIP' access I really expected them to do something for it. Hopefully this turns around as its early to judge. The whole thing was very meh.

Every bit of what happened today has been an embarrassment. I can't say my reaction would be different than them when they saw the jersey. I think it plays an important part that shouldn't be ignored when it comes to this.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
This is gonna sound simplistic but bear with me.

Perhaps part of the reason for the reaction has to do with the fact that it's 11:00am on a Thursday morning and it's tough to drum up the sort of energy required. By this I mean the alcohol factor. Go to a game or a nighttime event and beer is an integral part of it. Going to a corporate event in the morning during the week removes that variable. While some people can and will imbibe no matter the situation, the casual drinkers will not. The reaction might have been poor but let's see some game action before we judge.

I went to a revs game with the midnight riders a few weeks ago, my buddy is a member. Now they have less members than the third rail and aren't known for being nuts, but they were fun at the game. I Know snap judgments are made by many (not all) but let's take a breath and wait until March. Like anything it's a process.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Blame it on an early time, or lack of beer, but this is how the atmosphere at today's event should have been. @MagnusPax posted this video of the Impact jersey event in another thread. The fans are cheering, clamping and chanting. Granted, Montreal put on a much better presentation, but there's no reason why TR and the rest of the fans couldn't respond this way.

It was literally quite.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Sincerly I am disappointed by the Third Rail more for the question of the TR flag and NYCFC banner stolen by the Cosmos fans than for this story of poor atmosphere who I hope this group will create at YS.......

I have to come to the defense of TR. This was clearly a media/marketing event with the supporters as the main prop. I was there and there were many fans that were excited about the jersey but the "crowd" also had a lot of kids, press, and event staff. This was not a huge gathering of TR members. The event was sterile and corporate.

Can't judge TR on a club produced event. Give the club and supporters time to develop. I, as a active TR member, predict that a unique organic supporters culture will develop.

I have to come to the defense of TR. This was clearly a media/marketing event with the supporters as the main prop. I was there and there were many fans that were excited about the jersey but the "crowd" also had a lot of kids, press, and event staff. This was not a huge gathering of TR members. The event was sterile and corporate.

Can't judge TR on a club produced event. Give the club and supporters time to develop. I, as a active TR member, predict that a unique organic supporters culture will develop.

Thanks for the response. Good to get a point of view from a TR member that was there. I agree that it was a very corporate event, but at the same time I still don't see that as an excuse for being silent when Villa came out with the jersey on. You didn't notice how there was almost no cheering?

Yeah it was a awkward event. We watched a 2 minute Etihad marketing video, a speech by a etihad exec. It was almost like a play set up and we didnt get the script. So we didnt know what to do. Villa came from behind the fans and walked up. It was strange moment. But once he was on the stage there was plenty of cheering. He spent a lot of time signing autographs for fans. It was a nice event for fans, but very corporate.

When TR is drunk for a game and quiet after a villa goal then we should be concerned. AND please no Etihad airline attendants!!! Just so corporate, takes the fun out of everything.

I think the TR needs to come up with 10-15 chants/songs that are easily remembered and they need to put the lyrics on their website before the season starts. It would help people know what to sing. I'm not saying sing this song at 10 minutes and that song at 30. Just having people know the songs will lead to more people joining in. You can't expect 500 people to know what you're singing if they've never heard it before