Home - 03/28 Sporting Kc

poku needs to shoot when he has 15 chances on the top of the 18 to do so.
The entire team needs to learn to let 'er rip within 20 yards. Can't always get 8 short passes within 20 yards to get a goal, it's unlikely to happen. Poku missed a few chances to shoot in the final 10 minutes that drove my section mad.

The entire team needs to learn to let 'er rip within 20 yards. Can't always get 8 short passes within 20 yards to get a goal, it's unlikely to happen. Poku missed a few chances to shoot in the final 10 minutes that drove my section mad.
Unfortunately we had no players on the field who have the ability to put one in from long range, as we saw with the several horribly placed attempts on goal from long range. That let let 'er rip strategy is often the sign of a desperate and outmatched side, which technically we were today. At full strength, we are better matched with other clubs in such a way in which we do not need to resort to that strategy.

I like NYCFC but they are a little too comfortable with this deceit thing.

According to the following article, the club knew he wouldn't play as early as Thursday so the only people the front office was deceiving were the home fans. Villa's tweet is time-stamped 6:21pm today [day of match, 39 minutes before kick-off].

With the weather forecast, some people may not have come today if they knew Villa was out, but it's still really bad to withhold this information from the fans. If the leagues / clubs are informed, the fans should be informed as well.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ity-fc-week-4-match-vs-sporting-kc-due-injury

Wow! They knew on Thursday that he wouldn't play? This is concerning if you ask me. Obviously they didn't say a thing so that folks would show up to the game. Like you said, that's deceipt. Same thing they did with Lampard. Honestly, I've never seen a team do stuff like this.

Wow! They knew on Thursday that he wouldn't play? This is concerning if you ask me. Obviously they didn't say a thing so that folks would show up to the game. Like you said, that's deceipt. Same thing they did with Lampard. Honestly, I've never seen a team do stuff like this.
Did they not say anything to get the crowd to show up or did they not say anything to tip off Sporting Kanas City? Or maybe a bit of both?

Did they not say anything to get the crowd to show up or did they not say anything to tip off Sporting Kanas City? Or maybe a bit of both?

Based on what they did with Lampard, I would say the former. Teams I follow announce an injury when it happens. NYCFC still hasn't acknoweleged it anywhere.

Unless there is some new loophole I am unaware of or recent change to the rules, NYCFC would have had to inform the league -- provide an injury report update. They would have incurred fines if they did not report it and potentially other sanctions. I tried to find these regulations quickly, but did not.

Reactions: Drainyoo
It was quite Arsenal-ly. And then, of course the clear cut chances fall to Grabavoy and Bro-sky (my new nickname for Jebidiah, in order to highlight his most positive contribution to the team, i.e., improving the bro-tient, aka bro quotient).

The next time Brosky gets through a 10 minute spell without me screaming at him that he sucks will be his first.

With Villa, I figure it was a lot to do with the cold. If it's been nagging him, but he was still training, it's just an excuse not to put those old muscles out in that ridiculous weather. I don't mind it. It was really too damn cold to play, and I'm all for not needlessly risking injury. I'd have sat out, too. We aren't making the playoffs on Matchday 4, but we sure as hell could have hurt our chances.

Last edited:
As a visitor from across the pond it was an interesting experience. I was sat in 115 and it was a decent view, a little more height would have been good, but considering the stadium is built for another sport entirely I think it does a decent job for football.
I thought the organisation was good. Easy to get in and get served. Usual rip-off merchandise and food and drink prices but I did need that hat to ensure I left with ears!
As for the game, I thought box to box NYC did okay, if lacking that creativity that Villa provides and the ability to bring on the pace of Shelton, although I thought Poku did well whilst lacking the confidence to try and finish himself. Mix gives you control at the base of midfield but he needs opportunities to get forward because he has the skill to trouble defences as well as protect them. When Lampard arrives hopefully they can interchange.
You're always going to dominate possession against SKC because their game is to counter and to use set plays. The marking for the goal was criminal, particularly as Opara scored an almost identical goal against the Red Bulls in week one.
But NYC should have had a point. Those headers near the end just fell to the wrong guy - I think both were Grabavoy (or one was to Brovsky). For the first it looked like he jumped with his eyes closed and it came off his shoulder.
Just one last thing, the dislike of people wearing EPL shirts or gear to games. It may be something you need to turn a blind eye to. New York attracts tourists, tourists like sports and NYCFC is an attraction as well as a sports team. I've watched games in Spain, Germany, Italy, Serbia and even a NASL game in Canada. At some of those I've worn my team's shirt sometimes - although they are so lowly you've probably never heard of them. I didn't last night, although it was so cold it would have been buried under several layers. Football tourism is big business these days, there's no excuse for acting like a dick though.

PS The Dugout was good, even if I did keep myself to myself.

It was quite Arsenal-ly. And then, of course the clear cut chances fall to Grabavoy and Bro-sky (my new nickname for Jebidiah, in order to highlight his most positive contribution to the team, i.e., improving the bro-tient, aka bro quotient).

The next time Brosky gets through a 10 minute spell without me screaming at him that he sucks will be his first.
If the shoulder'er wasn't such a frustrating good opportunity for a goal, it would have been hilarious. And although the mystery call made his ridiculous attempt during the supposed handball incident pointless, that was very embarrassing. I believe he played pretty well defensively for the most part, but unfortunately we need to make an upgrade. Outside backs need to have some offensive competence, especially when you a ball is played to you and nobody is near you or in front of you other than the keeper. He needs to have the skill to at least threaten the keeper, he does not.

As a visitor from across the pond it was an interesting experience. I was sat in 115 and it was a decent view, a little more height would have been good, but considering the stadium is built for another sport entirely I think it does a decent job for football.
I thought the organisation was good. Easy to get in and get served. Usual rip-off merchandise and food and drink prices but I did need that hat to ensure I left with ears!
As for the game, I thought box to box NYC did okay, if lacking that creativity that Villa provides and the ability to bring on the pace of Shelton, although I thought Poku did well whilst lacking the confidence to try and finish himself. Mix gives you control at the base of midfield but he needs opportunities to get forward because he has the skill to trouble defences as well as protect them. When Lampard arrives hopefully they can interchange.
You're always going to dominate possession against SKC because their game is to counter and to use set plays. The marking for the goal was criminal, particularly as Opara scored an almost identical goal against the Red Bulls in week one.
But NYC should have had a point. Those headers near the end just fell to the wrong guy - I think both were Grabavoy (or one was to Brovsky). For the first it looked like he jumped with his eyes closed and it came off his shoulder.
Just one last thing, the dislike of people wearing EPL shirts or gear to games. It may be something you need to turn a blind eye to. New York attracts tourists, tourists like sports and NYCFC is an attraction as well as a sports team. I've watched games in Spain, Germany, Italy, Serbia and even a NASL game in Canada. At some of those I've worn my team's shirt sometimes - although they are so lowly you've probably never heard of them. I didn't last night, although it was so cold it would have been buried under several layers. Football tourism is big business these days, there's no excuse for acting like a dick though.

PS The Dugout was good, even if I did keep myself to myself.

The first header was Brovsky; the second header was Grabavoy.

I think one of the supporters was reacting to the behavior of the visiting fan; given the way you carried yourself, there would have been no issue.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
We don't really have anyone with the balls to pick up the ball and go aside from Villa and Shelton. Everyone was expecting the ball to be played at their feet without making any runs. This made KC's pressing even more effective, thus a boring first half. That's why I didn't have any problems with Calle shooting from range (at first) because at least he was trying. Mullins is not a target man but that's how he was playing. His touch on 2 beautiful passes by Calle and someone else should have been better and would've provided easily our 2 best chances of the night. When we went to 442, we finally had people running into the channels and we looked alive. Have to peg that one on Kreis. I'm happy Poku took his chance because he looks like an absolute presence. I'd like to see Poku-AJ-Mix together. Fullbacks don't have the confidence to go forward when they're in space. I thought Hernandez was outstanding and dealt with everything. Watson had one or two shaky moments and was the 1 that was marking the eventual goal scorer. Grabavoy is by far the weakest link. He literally does nothing productive for the team. I dare someone to rewatch that game and take a shot every time he loses possession or kills an attack because he just passes backwards.

I thought it was Jacobsen who was ball watching on the goal. I couldn't tell for sure.

Poku totally had quite a few chances to shoot. Can't disagree there. At least he made them, though.

Jacobsen just does nothing with possession. He is a midfield treadmill at best, moves but goes nowhere. Ballouchy is still just frustrating as hell, but at least he tries something, even if it's the wrong ball usually. How many times did the crowd start screaming for either of those two to hit open runs that they just missed. Pretty sad.

I guess Mix is going to be our deepest mid most of the time. If that's the case, I definitely see no reason for Jacobsen to be on the field. Play Poku, as he gets forward with purpose. He's also got the potential to improve still. Jacobsen is a finished product.

I actually thought our CB pairing worked pretty well. They got the hell ran out of them by KC, but made several strong, confident steps to cut out balls that would have been real problems. I liked the confidence in that.

All of that said, I'm watching this from the end line on 1st base side, so to say I don't have the most complete picture is being generous.
Agreed

The first header was Brovsky; the second header was Grabavoy.

I think one of the supporters was reacting to the behavior of the visiting fan; given the way you carried yourself, there would have been no issue.
Yeah. A archiebunker, I wasn't too bothered when I saw them wearing their man united gear and occupying the seats behind me. When it became clear that they attended solely to cheer against us as an extension of their rivalry with Man City (I presume, as I don't much see much reason for them to have a problem with us just yet), I felt like I had to say something. I, like everyone else there, was at an emotional tipping point given the close chances and shoddy refereeing, and I this little shit's father allowing him to sit among the home crowd and essentially goad the home fans was just too much. based on that incident, this kid is in for a lot of ass whippings. Parents have a responsibility to not let their kids act like pricks, or at least teach them that it's not acceptable in a match when you're not in the proper section for it.

Reactions: archiebunker
Yeah. A archiebunker, I wasn't too bothered when I saw them wearing their man united gear and occupying the seats behind me. When it became clear that they attended solely to cheer against us as an extension of their rivalry with Man City (I presume, as I don't much see much reason for them to have a problem with us just yet), I felt like I had to say something. I, like everyone else there, was at an emotional tipping point given the close chances and shoddy refereeing, and I this little shit's father allowing him to sit among the home crowd and essentially goad the home fans was just too much. based on that incident, this kid is in for a lot of ass whippings. Parents have a responsibility to not let their kids act like pricks, or at least teach them that it's not acceptable in a match when you're not in the proper section for it.

I agree, that's why I added the part about acting like dicks. If they wanted to cheer against NYCFC get seats with the SKC fans.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Based on what they did with Lampard, I would say the former. Teams I follow announce an injury when it happens. NYCFC still hasn't acknoweleged it anywhere.

When they announced the lineup on the jumbotron, it didn't even register for me at first that I hadn't heard Villa's name, I assumed he was playing up top with Mullins. Belatedly, I checked the iPhone app and there was a club announcement in the news section that he was out. The same statement on the website is time stamped 7:02 PM though (in other words, as folks were being announced on the field).

I dont normally believe in hooliganism...but when you wear totally unrelated non-league team gear to a match just to troll the game...you deserve an ass kicking. How freaking dare someone wear EPL junk to an MLS match just to be douche bags and annoy people with poor behavior.

I swear, eurosnobs are really asking for it sometimes.

The only European gear I ever want to see in Yankee stadium during an NYCFC match is Villa, Lampard, or Man City kits. Thats it.

Sarcasm, right? Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Frustrating game for sure.

I thought Brovsky was ok. You are all so hard on him but I can guarantee you'd miss him if he wasn't on the pitch. I was particularly impressed with his leadership when Kwame COMPLETELY lost his marker in the box. He tore Kwame a new asshole and it was great. He blew that opportunity to level the game but it happens. Great cross from T Mac!

Calle was weird for me. I didn't like his play at all. Not even going to talk about him much. Just yuck.

Poku... LOVE THIS PLAYER! Composed, strong and has vision.

Kwame was awful. Had a nice play or two but I was not impressed at all.

I think Calle is just having a hard time adjusting to life in NY. It's cold, its big, its in English (well, partly), everything his life back home wasn't.

I thought he looked kind of frustrated himself in what we've all been saying: no one was really shooting! I took his long range shots as more of a message like "I'd rather shoot this horribly desperate shot, than pass it to you guys and let you guys pass it around until we lose possession, again. "

When they announced the lineup on the jumbotron, it didn't even register for me at first that I hadn't heard Villa's name, I assumed he was playing up top with Mullins. Belatedly, I checked the iPhone app and there was a club announcement in the news section that he was out. The same statement on the website is time stamped 7:02 PM though (in other words, as folks were being announced on the field).
Oh so there was something in the app, albeit it was posted late. I also checked the app around the same time you did when I finally realized Villa was nowhere to be seen. But instead of checking the "News" I made the mistake of checking the Match information section, where he simply wasn't listed. Not starting, on the bench , or in any of the injured, unavailable or ineligible lists. Completely unhelpful.

Reactions: danger