Home - 05/31 Revolution

Hey J Jason Richards, look at the projected 11 that MLSsoccer.com put out...

Projected Starting XI (4-3-3): Sean Johnson – RJ Allen, Alexander Callens, Maxime Chanot, Ben Sweat – Maximiliano Moralez, Mikey Lopez, Thomas McNamara – Jonathan Lewis, David Villa, Jack Harrison

Hey J Jason Richards, look at the projected 11 that MLSsoccer.com put out...

Projected Starting XI (4-3-3): Sean Johnson – RJ Allen, Alexander Callens, Maxime Chanot, Ben Sweat – Maximiliano Moralez, Mikey Lopez, Thomas McNamara – Jonathan Lewis, David Villa, Jack Harrison
They did that last time but he didn't even make the team. I'm waiting for open cup for him to prove he can do well!

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator it is about that time for you to post an ominous weather forecast for Wednesday night and then for me to search the web far and wide for the one promising forecast usually from a 12 year old kid waving a thermometer out the window.

giphy.gif

Have to think if Pirlo is healthy he plays this game. Matarrita, too.

Wallace-Villa-Harrison
---------Maxi------------
-----Pirlo--Lopez
Mata-Callens-Chanot-White
----------Johnson----------------

If no Pirlo, you probably have McNamara in. If no Mata, then you're looking at Allen or Sweat, most likely.

EDIT: I'm not saying playing Pirlo is the right thing to do, I'm just assuming that's what Vieira is going to do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Pirlo and Matarrita both healthy for this match. The 4 man backline is really a 3 man backline like we saw early in the season. Matarrita bombs forward. Pirlo plays next to Mikey and behind Maxi. Regular front 3.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Gotham Gator Gotham Gator it is about that time for you to post an ominous weather forecast for Wednesday night and then for me to search the web far and wide for the one promising forecast usually from a 12 year old kid waving a thermometer out the window.

But the 12-YO kid is how I do the forecast.

Actually not too bad this week. Chance of a stray thunderstorm that could delay things. Better not, as I have a weeknight hall pass from Mrs. Dr. G., and I am looking forward to a grown up game experience.

Before the season, I thought there would be much more competition for the opening XI spots than there seem to be. I'm quite amazed about the lack of depth/width in the squad. You take off two newcomers (Herrera, Ring) and one of the better "locals" (Matarrita), and right away it seems the team is really weakened.

And Herrera is not coming back before Seattle on the 17th as Venezuela won their R16 game at the u-20 World Cup.

The silver lining: the winning goal in extra time scored by none other than...Herrera. He's getting a ton of playing time over there. Hope he doesn't come back exhausted from a deep run.

Before the season, I thought there would be much more competition for the opening XI spots than there seem to be. I'm quite amazed about the lack of depth/width in the squad. You take off two newcomers (Herrera, Ring) and one of the better "locals" (Matarrita), and right away it seems the team is really weakened.
Depth will always be a problem for teams in a capped league. Best way to overcome that in MLS is with an academy but ours isn't developed enough for us yet.
And you left Pirlo off the missing list. He Ring and Herrera occupy different but overlapping or connected roles so losing all 3 for one game would test any team.

Last edited:
New York City v New England Revolution
Yankee Stadium (7:30pm ET)
REF: CHRIS PENSO
AR1: Nick Uranga
AR2: Andrew Bigelow
4TH: Robert Sibiga

I believe this is the 4th time that Robert Sibiga has been the fourth official for our home matches, so things are getting pretty serious between him and Patrick. They'll probably meet each other's families soon.

As for Chris Penso:
Games: 9
Fouls awarded: 198
Yellow cards: 37
Red cards: 2
Yellows per game: 4.11
Reds per game: 0.22

He refereed our 3-2 win at Columbus with 4 yellow cards (NYCFC 3 - 1 CLB), no reds, and no penalties.

Last year he refereed the 7-0 RB game with 5 yellow cards (NYCFC 3 - 2 RB), no reds, and no penalties. And he refereed the 3-2 thriller at home vs. DC with 2 yellow cards (NYCFC 0 - 2 DB), no reds, and no penalties.

Last edited:
This was discussed ad nauseum in the off season. The team makes weird decisions with depth, and then doesn't even use the guys they pick up for that purpose. Jon Lewis is a really weird case so far.

New York City v New England Revolution
Yankee Stadium (7:30pm ET)
REF: CHRIS PENSO
AR1: Nick Uranga
AR2: Andrew Bigelow
4TH: Robert Sibiga

I believe this is the 4th time that Robert Sibiga has been the fourth official for our home matches, so things are getting pretty serious between him and Patrick. They'll probably meet each other's families soon.

As for Chris Penso:
Games: 9
Fouls awarded: 198
Yellow cards: 37
Red cards: 2
Yellows per game: 4.11
Reds per game: 0.22

He refereed our 3-2 win at Columbus with 4 yellow cards (NYCFC 3 - 1 CLB), no reds, and no penalties.

Last year he refereed the 7-0 RB game with 5 yellow cards (NYCFC 3 - 2 RB), no reds, and no penalties. And he refereed the 3-2 thriller at home vs. DC with 2 yellow cards (NYCFC 0 - 2 DB), no reds, and no penalties.

So Penso is the guy who fucked up and didn't give Lloyd Sam a red for either his studs to the knee of Pirlo or the choke of Matarrita.

Otherwise, not so shitty.

Worth noting that our game will be live on YES at 7:30 because the 7pm Yankees game will be on PIX 11.

The same is not true of the Saturday game against Philly.

Reactions: Kjbert
This was discussed ad nauseum in the off season. The team makes weird decisions with depth, and then doesn't even use the guys they pick up for that purpose. Jon Lewis is a really weird case so far.
Yeah, I think that there are at least three factors I can think of that account for most of the discrepancy between how satisfied we are with our squad depth, pre-season vs. right now:
  • Unknowns who haven't impressed or figured yet – J Lewis, Camargo, James Sands were all exciting depth options in pre-season who haven't really figured much or at all.
  • Rising expectations – We were comparing our 2017 squad to our 2016 and even 2015 squad and it looks great. For example, having Tommy as a bench option felt awesome at the beginning of the season and it's seemingly regarded as dreadful. The thing is that the entire league is improving so rapidly that incremental inter-team improvement is hard to gauge until the teams start playing each other. Even then, we probably won't get a good perspective on this until late in the season due to how long it takes teams to gel, how many teams there are and other scheduling wackiness.
  • Perfect storm – between injuries, suspensions, the incredibly compact schedule and international call-ups, we are really exposed right now.
I'm curious how other teams are doing with regard to depth, too. I don't really track them until they play us.

Last edited:
So Penso is the guy who fucked up and didn't give Lloyd Sam a red for either his studs to the knee of Pirlo or the choke of Matarrita.

Otherwise, not so shitty.

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator you beat me to it. Penso basically allowed RBNJ to mug NYCFC left and right in the first half of that game. It contributed to RBNJ's aggressive style. A couple of early yellows or one of those reds would have completely changed the game when it was 1-0. You can see how the snowball rolled down the hill when the score got run up and the NYCFC players were tired of getting beat up.