Home - October 7 - D.C. (Postgame)

Now, I know two were pens, but damn I don't think we need treats. Bye, have fun in Saudi!

...Gudi looked awesome after he came on.
Tinnerholm on the right, Gudi on the left, Ring down the middle... Soon we'll have a full-on viking width LOL

Now, I know two were pens, but damn I don't think we need treats. Bye, have fun in Saudi!

...Gudi looked awesome after he came on.
Tinnerholm on the right, Gudi on the left, Ring down the middle... Soon we'll have a full-on viking width LOL

DC are sort of next level bad so I'd like to see how we look against someone a little better before declaring we doing need him.

DC are sort of next level bad so I'd like to see how we look against someone a little better before declaring we doing need him.

Nah. Gotta make the instant judgement call based on immediate results without waiting for further assessment.

...Jokes aside, we've all witnessed the failure to break down bunkering teams, no matter how bad - and we've also played DC earlier in the season who were just as bad. The fact that we were able to break them down this time, and do something we can't do normally even against other bad teams, tells me this is a great step forward. Idk what Ronny's been doing, but this goes along with my theory that we have a group of players that take a long time to learn new tricks... but when they do, they're lethal with those tricks. And they're getting there now, I think.

Reactions: Sabo and NYCFC_Dan
Nah. Gotta make the instant judgement call based on immediate results without waiting for further assessment.

...Jokes aside, we've all witnessed the failure to break down bunkering teams, no matter how bad - and we've also played DC earlier in the season who were just as bad. The fact that we were able to break them down this time, and do something we can't do normally even against other bad teams, tells me this is a great step forward. Idk what Ronny's been doing, but this goes along with my theory that we have a group of players that take a long time to learn new tricks... but when they do, they're lethal with those tricks. And they're getting there now, I think.

the difference between this time and last time was we had isi on the wing threatening every time with anton, which always proves to be a very potent combination. add to that the mobility of taty in the middle and gary having a decent game as a pretty good wall to pass off of, we were able to break down the bunker.

Reactions: danger and Shwafta
D.C. United is just a miserable team to watch. They are going to earn the wooden spoon that is almost certainly headed their way. What a trainwreck that roster is.

Glad we did what we had to do against them, but it's hard to really take much out of this game when you're facing such a terrible opponent.

Reactions: nickp91
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say Gudi isn't happy with his playing time...

i don't see him staying after this season..

Reactions: SoupInNYC
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say Gudi isn't happy with his playing time...

i don't see him staying after this season..
He made it quite clear in the post-game press conference that he was very unhappy with his playing time.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I couldn't believe that Olsen didn't have Kamara push further forward to give Sands or the CBs something to think about. How can you play Bunker and Counter if you give yourself zero out balls?

That said, given that Chanot and Callens were pushed up past the center circle I guess without Kamara there we'd have even more freedom of passing, so Olsen would have to push a mid up to block lanes.

Still seems like a necessary trade-off.

What did Gudi say?

Such a hilarious game to watch, with 10 or 11 DC players bunkered in their own (Yankee Stadium-sized) final third. Real 'Attack vs Defense' stuff. Not much to really take away from it, but if Anton Tinnerholm can keep nutmegging people then that's pretty awesome.

That was the greatest commitment to the bunker that I have ever seen from an opening whistle. There were times when Kamara et al were confused as to whether they were even permitted to push the ball forward. The biggest difference I saw from other recent bunker drills is the success we had operating with super quick and short passes in the tight spaces. In previous weeks, it was a lot more sideline/wing space, high crosses and kick ball, which didn't work. They seemed much more prepared to break the bunker. It's hard to really get much else from such a strange game.

What did Gudi say?

Such a hilarious game to watch, with 10 or 11 DC players bunkered in their own (Yankee Stadium-sized) final third. Real 'Attack vs Defense' stuff. Not much to really take away from it, but if Anton Tinnerholm can keep nutmegging people then that's pretty awesome.
Here's a quick and dirty transcription. Video is on the club's site.

Question: How's it feel to get your first assist and what does it mean for your career here in the Bronx?
Gudi: Feels good. I'm disappointed with the playing time I've been getting but I have to try to come on and make a difference. We win 4-1 today and we did well. I'm happy with the assist but, as long as the team wins I'm happy, but yeah. Good solid performance, I'm happy to help the team.
Question: Now that Mitrita is left for international duty and Maxi is still out, do you think you'll start to get more looks at the left back position while Matarrita is pushed forward? Have you had any conversation about that?
Gudi: No, havent had any conversation about that, just try to train as well as I can. As a football player, you need to feel good on the pitch to play your best and if you feel the circumstances give you the confidence that you need, obviously you're going to play better. I know I can help the team at different positions as well. So I just have to keep on pushing and do my best, but its definitely a concern for me at the moment, that I'm not playing more. But I have to look at myself as well, have to be as fit as I can. But that comes with games as well. So hopefully, that's gonna change soon.
Question: Seemed like as soon as you came on, there was a little bit of a switch-off where Mataritta allowed you to go forward. Talk to me about that ability for you guys to interchange and do you think that's something that Ronny might look at as an advantage if he tried Matarrita up on the wing that you guys can bounce back and forth.
Answer: [A bit about the actual interchange between him and Matarrita, taking up some time]. But I can't speak on the coaches behalf on what he's thinking. That's up to him. Again, my job is just to do my best in training and try to help the team when I come on. But as I said earlier, I haven't been happy with the playing time I've been getting. That's something that I have to take a look at and hopefully that's gonna change in the nearest future.

Reactions: ManhattanValley
one thing i will say is this: in a penalty shootout i dont think we have 5 players where im confident for them to take them and score.

Isi penalty was basically blocked, just error on hamid part. i think all we got are taty and ....medina.

one thing i will say is this: in a penalty shootout i dont think we have 5 players where im confident for them to take them and score.

Isi penalty was basically blocked, just error on hamid part. i think all we got are taty and ....medina.
From the current squad, I think Tinnerholm would be our best PK taker. I always thought he would be one of our better options there (going back to last year's USOC).

Ring would be near the top for me as well.