MLS - October 2 - Cincinnati (RBA)

I kinda understand that, but he blew the whistle and made it clear the call was changed. When the initial kick to Lucho was taken, there were far more NYCFC players in the box than Cincy players. Their guys just hustled more.

I will also add that NYCFC not being ready for the corner is 100% to blame for that goal. Thiago Martins and Risa had too much space between them and that led to Cincy winning that initial header. Haak was supposed to be between them and that is why that space existed. Haak did a decent job getting back, but he never really established the proper positioning needed and then he wasn't able to attack the initial cross.
Actually Risa got to the ball first. He just got a bad header on it and it fell at Boyd’s feet. Cincy fans couldn’t believe Boyd’s luck there. IMHO the goal itself was less worrisome than the tactics. I thought Haak and Wolf in particular did a decent job trying to push forward but Nick had Bakrar behind the ball when he should have been stretching the D and it would have been nice to see Mac instead of Risa for Maxi with Haak staying at LCB, Mac out Left and O’Toole pushed up slightly or vice versa, and Santi slotting center.

Overall, I suppose Luchos superpower is finding space, but we did much better with that against Messi than we did with Lucho. We can’t give him that much space again.

But this was a good professional win.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
On that note, I kind of want to bring up the FC Cincy penalty kick. It was definitely a handball on Thiago Martins and as such, should be a penalty kick.

But also, his arm barely touched it (it still did) and the ball trajectory really wasn't changed and the outcome of him playing the ball out wasn't going to change.

I say all that not to point out the penalty shouldn't have been given, but Cincinnati didn't deserve a penalty there (these are separate items in my mind).
Yes. Their penalty kick was a much luckier break for them than ours was for us.

Actually Risa got to the ball first. He just got a bad header on it and it fell at Boyd’s feet. Cincy fans couldn’t believe Boyd’s luck there. IMHO the goal itself was less worrisome than the tactics. I thought Haak and Wolf in particular did a decent job trying to push forward but Nick had Bakrar behind the ball when he should have been stretching the D and it would have been nice to see Mac instead of Risa for Maxi with Haak staying at LCB, Mac out Left and O’Toole pushed up slightly or vice versa, and Santi slotting center.

Overall, I suppose Luchos superpower is finding space, but we did much better with that against Messi than we did with Lucho. We can’t give him that much space again.

But this was a good professional win.
Risa did win it, but not as high as he could have where it would have cleared the box. Instead, because he's not able to reach the ball as high as he could jump, the ball is headed downwards into Gioachinni and it stays right there at the 6 yard box.

If he were in better position to attack the ball, he could have won that header in a more advantageous spot so the ball is headed up and away instead of down. I say this not to say that Risa himself should have been in a better position, I think that was supposed to be Haak.

Reactions: gbservis
And perhaps I need to go back and look at it. I remember in real time seeing sands and Martins with their hands still raised in the air looking at the ref exasperated. As I said in my first post I agree our guys should know better and get into position even if they disagree with the call. So I agree it’s not 100% the refs fault, hell I’d say it’s 25% ref, 75% the team shutting off. But if the team is going to let in a goal, it should be because the team messed up/the opponent played well, not because of a ref’s series of decisions giving an unfair advantage to one team or another.

And the more i argue my point the more I feel like it’s just so so subjective and maybe I should just shut up. If it was the other way around I wouldn’t even be thinking twice about it. Hell, maybe I’d say damn that was expert decision making by the corner taker for catching the opponents off guard.
On the corner, it's just pretty simple. If you change a call like that, you need to be clear that everyone on the field is aware and ready to go. This thing triggered my PTSD from that Red Bull game a couple of years back.

On the corner, it's just pretty simple. If you change a call like that, you need to be clear that everyone on the field is aware and ready to go. This thing triggered my PTSD from that Red Bull game a couple of years back.

refs definitely have a responsibility to make things clear. but players also have the responsibility to stay tuned in and aware of what's going on and where the ball is. it bothers me when players turn their back to the ball so often and just leisurely jog back to defend without worrying that a quick set piece may be taken.

refs need to do better. but players have no excuses if they aren't aware of what's going on. it's war out there!

For no other reason than I'm clueless and I like to keep the bookkeeping straight, does the ref on the field add time at the end of a half or is he told what to add from someone on the sidelines?

For no other reason than I'm clueless and I like to keep the bookkeeping straight, does the ref on the field add time at the end of a half or is he told what to add from someone on the sidelines?
The official rule is:

The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.

He also was so happy for Gray's goal the other night. I think he was the second person to reach Tayvon even though he was not even on the field. To see that love for someone he competes with for playing time was delightful.
I do remember that. I love watching my team win. But what makes me love a team is this kind of moment - when team members clearly pull for each other. That kind of thing makes it just a little bit easier to believe when players say they appreciate and love the fans. That and I love it when we score an equalizer at home and someone (usually Bakrar) immediately goes to grab the ball and bring it back to the half instead of celebrating in the corner. Always play to win when you are home.

Reactions: Revfugee and Vallos
And perhaps I need to go back and look at it. I remember in real time seeing sands and Martins with their hands still raised in the air looking at the ref exasperated. As I said in my first post I agree our guys should know better and get into position even if they disagree with the call. So I agree it’s not 100% the refs fault, hell I’d say it’s 25% ref, 75% the team shutting off. But if the team is going to let in a goal, it should be because the team messed up/the opponent played well, not because of a ref’s series of decisions giving an unfair advantage to one team or another.

And the more i argue my point the more I feel like it’s just so so subjective and maybe I should just shut up. If it was the other way around I wouldn’t even be thinking twice about it. Hell, maybe I’d say damn that was expert decision making by the corner taker for catching the opponents off guard.

This also goes to our longstanding complaint about how our players whine at the refs too much and need to just keep playing.

I do remember that. I love watching my team win. But what makes me love a team is this kind of moment - when team members clearly pull for each other. That kind of thing makes it just a little bit easier to believe when players say they appreciate and love the fans.
Especially when it's two guys who are competing for the same spot!

Reactions: FootyLovin
Didn't see a good thread elsewhere to put this, so it's going here. I put this on Twitter and it seems to have died there after a little bit.

Won't ruin it yet in case some here haven't seen it, but numbers 1, 2, one of the two tied for 3rd, and one of the others tied for 5th have been guessed. That leaves one more tied for third and one more tied for fifth.

One of the two remaining seems kind of easy (IMO), the other is a bit more random.

Didn't see a good thread elsewhere to put this, so it's going here. I put this on Twitter and it seems to have died there after a little bit.

Won't ruin it yet in case some here haven't seen it, but numbers 1, 2, one of the two tied for 3rd, and one of the others tied for 5th have been guessed. That leaves one more tied for third and one more tied for fifth.

One of the two remaining seems kind of easy (IMO), the other is a bit more random.
Has Chris Mueller been guessed? He might as well be Pele when he plays against us.

Didn't check to see the X guesses, so I'm probably going to repeat both of these guesses.
BWP (most obvious)
Cyle Larin

Didn't check to see the X guesses, so I'm probably going to repeat both of these guesses.
BWP (most obvious)
Cyle Larin
Yup

1. BWP (12)
2. (guessed on twitter)
3. Larin (9)
5. Acosta (6)
5. (guessed on twitter)

Pozuelo was freaking money against nycfc for years, what a blast from the past.

I remember he scored at least twice (and an assist?) in his first ever match in MLS vs NYCFC, and of course, we shall not speak of the playoff win in citi field, believe that was two goals as well.

He took that Saudi $$$$ right?

I track goals each season but not in a way that's easy to compile. I checked Twitter

Josef
Pozuelo
Pozuelo was the one I was surprised hadn't been guessed yet.

1. BWP (12)
2. (guessed on twitter)
3. Larin (9)
3. Pozuelo (9)
5. Acosta (6)
5. (guessed on twitter)

Josef only had 4.

Reactions: mgarbowski