Home - October 7 - D.C. (Postgame)

one thing i will say is this: in a penalty shootout i dont think we have 5 players where im confident for them to take them and score.

Isi penalty was basically blocked, just error on hamid part. i think all we got are taty and ....medina.
Has there been any post-game discussion as to why Isi even took it? Never the best move to shuffle the taker after a successful one.

From the current squad, I think Tinnerholm would be our best PK taker. I always thought he would be one of our better options there (going back to last year's USOC).

Ring would be near the top for me as well.

ah i forgot about last years USOC game...i kinda repress that whole week ( same week vs RB game and that goal that came from bad call)

Has there been any post-game discussion as to why Isi even took it? Never the best move to shuffle the taker after a successful one.

yea even Ian joy was questioning it.

isi said he asked taty if he could take and taty gave him the ball, which he was thankful for. that's all there is to it. he said we are a team and we all support each other.

seems taty would have taken it had he not asked.

isi said he asked taty if he could take and taty gave him the ball, which he was thankful for. that's all there is to it. he said we are a team and we all support each other.

seems taty would have taken it had he not asked.

i keep missing these post game interviews since they put them in the site not twitter.

From the current squad, I think Tinnerholm would be our best PK taker. I always thought he would be one of our better options there (going back to last year's USOC).

Ring would be near the top for me as well.
I recall Parks was as confident as anyone in the USOC shootout.

At the time I figured it was partly because Isi had just scored but had it chalked off so the PK could be awarded. If I were him I'd want that goal.
Yeah, this is what I thought too about it - and I fully agree with Taty giving him the chance for it

He made it quite clear in the post-game press conference that he was very unhappy with his playing time.
He's simply not as good at Mata. Mata is a starter for the second or third best team in CONCACAF and made the World Cup. Gudi has never made it out of the Arctic Circle until Ronny needed familiar depth.

He's simply not as good at Mata. Mata is a starter for the second or third best team in CONCACAF and made the World Cup. Gudi has never made it out of the Arctic Circle until Ronny needed familiar depth.
Thor’s other problem is Mata has never before been healthy enough to play more than 65% of the available minutes and this year he’s at almost 80%.

What did people think of the penalty calls?

The one that Castellanos drew looked soft but I couldn’t really tell if his feet were clipped.

On the one against Castellanos, it wasn’t clear to me that the ball even touched his arm. Not sure if there was a clearer replay that I missed.

The third penalty was an interesting call. I think under the new rules (that aren’t yet effective in MLS), it would not be a penalty, as supporting yourself when sliding is considered a natural position. But maybe not since the hand was well out from his body.

I think the most obvious penalty was one not called, when Sands was knocked down in the box at the end of the first half. His legs were knocked out by the defender. Not sure why that wasn’t called on VAR.

The one that Castellanos drew looked soft but I couldn’t really tell if his feet were clipped.

On the one against Castellanos, it wasn’t clear to me that the ball even touched his arm. Not sure if there was a clearer replay that I missed.

The third penalty was an interesting call. I think under the new rules (that aren’t yet effective in MLS), it would not be a penalty, as supporting yourself when sliding is considered a natural position. But maybe not since the hand was well out from his body.

I think the most obvious penalty was one not called, when Sands was knocked down in the box at the end of the first half. His legs were knocked out by the defender. Not sure why that wasn’t called on VAR.
Watch the instant replay.
I think they got it perfect on all three penalties, including the sands no-call.

The sliding one doesn't apply in this case because it supported him initially, but he let his hand stay there which makes him bigger which, even through the new rules, is not allowed.

The third penalty was an interesting call. I think under the new rules (that aren’t yet effective in MLS),
Lots of people are saying this and again I'm wondering what news I missed. IFAB implemented a host of new rules, including some on handball, in early summer 2019. The first place most of us saw them in place was the 2019 WWC. And it was announced back then that MLS would not implement them mid-season but would apply them in 2020.

Well, it's 2020. I don't remember reading about a further delay in adding the new rules and while the pandemic changed a lot of things I don't see why it would affect this, especially if we had the new rules in effect in early March. As of February 2020, MLS was planning to use the new rules including handballs. The only thing they decided not to use was the virtual offside line, which is technology and not a rule.

Anyways, Gator is not the only one. Plenty of people have said MLS doesn't have the new rules yet. It came up in the chatbox Wednesday night also.
What did I miss?

Last edited:
Watch the instant replay.
I think they got it perfect on all three penalties, including the sands no-call.

The sliding one doesn't apply in this case because it supported him initially, but he let his hand stay there which makes him bigger which, even through the new rules, is not allowed.
The ref decisions are terrible and or rules are terrible.
On Akinola “goal”
If you grab the opponent pull Them back and push So they fall that’s a foul. Become a MMA athlete if you want to do that shit. Shoulder to shoulder fine. That is not what that was.

Taty dove plain and simple.

The way “hand balls” are called make soccer stupid. This is one of them. From the angle in the video I can’t even tell exactly where it hits Taty but it looks close to the shoulder. (Same thing last time against DC)

Does anyone not see that Sands gets thrown? Dude grabs him and pulls him down
WTF?

The sliding handball has to be a penalty if you are calling the Taty “hand ball”. I think that’s the kind of handball that is also pretty stupid. It’s not “unnatural” to slide like that But hey, it makes the body bigger.

How can this go down with VAR?

The Sands no call is part of an interesting quandary for me. It was an absolutely clear foul in the box. But I feel like it would be incredibly unfair for a penalty to come out of it. If Sands wasn't fouled there, the play had almost zero chance of turning into anything remotely dangerous.

Reactions: mgarbowski
The Sands no call is part of an interesting quandary for me. It was an absolutely clear foul in the box. But I feel like it would be incredibly unfair for a penalty to come out of it. If Sands wasn't fouled there, the play had almost zero chance of turning into anything remotely dangerous.
That’s the nature of penalties. They are rarely anything more than a lucky break for the offense. What percentage of penalties are called when the play had a 75-80% chance of ending in a goal? Still, it’s the price the sport plays for keeping defenders honest in the box.

Anyways, Gator is not the only one. Plenty of people have said MLS doesn't have the new rules yet. It came up in the chatbox Wednesday night also.
What did I miss?
You probably didn’t miss anything. I was working from memory and what I had read elsewhere.

Reactions: SoupInNYC