Home - September 25 - Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that he is on crutches, so yeah, I would be surprised if he plays on Wednesday, so I will walk back what I originally thought.
I didn't even know about the crutches, but I did see Twellman indicate he would probably be out at least until the playoffs during halftime of Portland Minnesota.

I read that he is on crutches, so yeah, I would be surprised if he plays on Wednesday, so I will walk back what I originally thought.
Further, I'm coming at this from the opposite assumptions than you. I can't see any reason why the league or Atlanta would falsely overhype his injury. I think they might have cautiously prepared people for the worst early on when they had no idea, but beyond that there is no reason to lean that way.
On the other hand, I'm less optimistic than Twellman is about what someone in Atlanta told him. Twellman said they became more optimistic in just 24 hours, and he could be back in weeks not months, even though they still can't even properly assess him because of the pain and swelling. So what could possibly cause them to be more hopeful if they can't even examine him properly? I think they say weeks because they don't yet want their fans giving up on the season. And "weeks" could still mean no playoffs. MLS Cup is just 7 weeks away. At that point, if he has not played, it does not make much difference if it's weeks or months, unless months means more than 6 months from now. I think they have a very wide range of possibilities ranging from 4-5 weeks to a few months at least, and since all that is possible, they're emphasizing the positive to keep fans engaged. Because they need him more than most of the top teams rely on just one player.

Last edited:
Further, I'm coming at this from the opposite assumptions than you. I can't see any reason why the league or Atlanta would falsely overhype his injury. I think they might have cautiously prepared people for the worst early on when they had no idea, but beyond that there is no reason to lean that way.
On the other hand, I'm less optimistic than Twellman is about what someone in Atlanta told him. Twellman said they became more optimistic in just 24 hours, and he could be back in weeks not months, even though they still can't even properly assess him because of the pain and swelling. So what could possibly cause them to be more hopeful if they can't even examine him properly? I think they say weeks because they don't yet want their fans giving up on the season. And "weeks" could still mean no playoffs. MLS Cup is just 7 weeks away. At that point, if he has not played, it does not make much difference if it's weeks or months, unless months means more than 6 months from now. I think they have a very wide range of possibilities ranging from 4-5 weeks to a few months at least, and since all that is possible, they're emphasizing the positive to keep fans engaged. Because they need him more than most of the top teams rely on just one player.

OR... ATL is scamming the big one on us.. josef will appear on the sideline on crutches and then a spotlight appears on him from the away section. his crutches fall to the ground and his warmups get ripped off by "fairies". he comes onto the field to be a menace as usual.

or what you said.

Reactions: Kenny
Atlanta United’s Josef Martinez will likely miss at least one game with a knee injury, according to Atlanta United manager Frank de Boer.

De Boer said either Brandon Vazquez or Hector Villalba will likely replace Martinez. Ezequiel Barco returned to training on Monday but de Boer said it’s likely his first minutes will come at Montreal this weekend.

Reactions: The Toe and adam
Wow. I still don't see how they could have know without a full exam (which is what they said) but it is what it is (pending what actually happens).
I'll give martinez his due, he's a beast. Lots of people like to hate on him but he shows up, plays, carries the team, and loves his city. More than FdB, barco or Pity, he's the reason the team has succeeded without Almiron or Tata this year.

Finally, what kind of knee (or knee area) injury causes pain and swelling, puts you on crutches, does not involve a tendon, and potentially lets you play again within a week. A severe muscle bruise?

OR... ATL is scamming the big one on us.. josef will appear on the sideline on crutches and then a spotlight appears on him from the away section. his crutches fall to the ground and his warmups get ripped off by "fairies". he comes onto the field to be a menace as usual.

or what you said.
In my imagination, he appears on crutches but the big reveal happens the moment ATL (inevitably ;) win a penalty. He steps up, does his aesthetically-displeasing penalty thing, devastates all of us.

Reactions: Jon
Wow. I still don't see how they could have know without a full exam (which is what they said) but it is what it is (pending what actually happens).
I'll give martinez his due, he's a beast. Lots of people like to hate on him but he shows up, plays, carries the team, and loves his city. More than FdB, barco or Pity, he's the reason the team has succeeded without Almiron or Tata this year.

Finally, what kind of knee (or knee area) injury causes pain and swelling, puts you on crutches, does not involve a tendon, and potentially lets you play again within a week. A severe muscle bruise?
Well said. I'm glad for him, ambivalent for us. I generally want to see us come up against the best and take less gratification if we succeed because of the misfortune or mistakes of other teams.

That tweet by Roberson was a genius move by him IMO.

His article fully covers it and basically alludes to Josef still missing some time, but that one tweet takes one quote he includes in his article which by itself, seems like Josef could play Wednesday, and generates tons of hype.

Hey guys, Atlanta fan here (originally from NJ) who'll be making the trip up for the game. First time at the new Yankee Stadium so was wondering if you guys have any recommendations pregame? I'm assuming the tailgating is right near the stadium? Thanks for any info and hopefully we get a fun game. -Brian

Hey guys, Atlanta fan here (originally from NJ) who'll be making the trip up for the game. First time at the new Yankee Stadium so was wondering if you guys have any recommendations pregame? I'm assuming the tailgating is right near the stadium? Thanks for any info and hopefully we get a fun game. -Brian
Welcome. There is some tailgating that occurs, but I'm really not that familiar with it. There are plenty of bar options within a couple blocks of the stadium, so those are definitely options. My personal favorite to go pre-game is Stan's, but I'm also a fan of Yankee Tavern.

Hey! Hope you enjoy the time at the game! There are lots of good bars near the stadium, you could try some of those... It happens to be fan appreciation night, so it'll be our last home game, and there will be lots of activities to try outside the stadium too!

Reactions: Thunda Esq

there is rarely tailgaiting, especially on a weekday game. the bars on river avenue ( stans, billy) tend to be spots to go. Yankee tavern like a block away on the corner is the place away fans tend to meet up ( for some reason) so maybe you can check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.