Home - September 7 - New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could also do this lineup with Sweat and Miller switched.

yea for sure. but out of the two of them, I think sweat is a more capable CB from what i've seen of miller. he's also more experienced with our style of play and will be better at distributing from the CB position. to be honest, having them both on one side together is a bit of a scary thought. the revs don't have anybody (that i know of) who is really fast up front, so it should be ok. but it's pretty obvious both NE and TFC are going to attack our left side and attack it hard. Our saving grace is our midfield is pretty much in tact and front line is weakened but not out of sorts. It will be up to Taty to come up big as a #9 and if Mitri can continue his form and level of effort, I think we'll be ok.

Obviously keeping possession is going to be really important these next few games. Controlling the ball and minimizing the need to defend will be what decides these next two games. I think it's entirely possible for us to get at least 3 points and even 6 points. We're at home after all. I'd be ok with 3 though... thinking we'll 4... and would be absolutely joyful with 6.

So if Ofori is still injured, we will have 13 available field players. Most likely subs will be JPT and Medina. We won't even have enough players to do the permitted 3 subs. If we sustain any more injuries we will be royally screwed. As it is, most of our starters will have to play full 90s vs NE and TFC. luckily we are at home and don't need to travel, so they can maximize rest.

We really might have to recall Bedoya just to have an extra body.

All the more reason we need to play smart and keep possession. If we get into a run and gun game with either of these teams, especially NE, we are not going to last. Given the circumstances, 3 points would be a good takeaway. We just have to reduce our time defending and keep the ball in the attacking half as much as possible. Let's hope Stuver doesn't injure anybody else and screw us even more.

I'd suit up and play LWB or CB if i was about 15 years younger. haha.

So if Ofori is still injured, we will have 13 available field players. Most likely subs will be JPT and Medina. We won't even have enough players to do the permitted 3 subs. If we sustain any more injuries we will be royally screwed. As it is, most of our starters will have to play full 90s vs NE and TFC. luckily we are at home and don't need to travel, so they can maximize rest.

We really might have to recall Bedoya just to have an extra body.

All the more reason we need to play smart and keep possession. If we get into a run and gun game with either of these teams, especially NE, we are not going to last. Given the circumstances, 3 points would be a good takeaway. We just have to reduce our time defending and keep the ball in the attacking half as much as possible. Let's hope Stuver doesn't injure anybody else and screw us even more.

I'd suit up and play LWB or CB if i was about 15 years younger. haha.
I would expect the club and the players to take a stand and say, •we are in the most important stretch of games in our season and have a lot of injuries and it’s more important than some lame international friendlies.
I saw an interview with Berthalter and the interviewer mentioned Altidore and Bradley and Gonzalez not being called because of MLS playoff race.
So why is Greg calling SJ?
Does anyone think Sean will get meaningful minutes for the USMNT?
What kind of minutes does Callens, Chanot and Matarrita get for their national teams?
NYCFC are their real jobs and it’s a crucial time.
I think it’s insane.

giphy.gif

I would expect the club and the players to take a stand and say, •we are in the most important stretch of games in our season and have a lot of injuries and it’s more important than some lame international friendlies.
I saw an interview with Berthalter and the interviewer mentioned Altidore and Bradley and Gonzalez not being called because of MLS playoff race.
So why is Greg calling SJ?
Does anyone think Sean will get meaningful minutes for the USMNT?
What kind of minutes does Callens, Chanot and Matarrita get for their national teams?
NYCFC are their real jobs and it’s a crucial time.
I think it’s insane.

giphy.gif

Don't blame the players here -- playing for their national teams is a gigantic honor for them. Blame this league that forces teams to play during international breaks. Maybe 20 years ago that was fine, but now it just no longer works. We're deciding playoff spots based on which team has fewer internationals. It's insane. For the integrity of the competition, MLS needs to stop playing during international windows.

Don't blame the players here -- playing for their national teams is a gigantic honor for them. Blame this league that forces teams to play during international breaks. Maybe 20 years ago that was fine, but now it just no longer works. We're deciding playoff spots based on which team has fewer internationals. It's insane. For the integrity of the competition, MLS needs to stop playing during international windows.
34 game season.
4 MLS cup rounds
That's 38 games, before accounting for USOC, or CCL. I'll keep Leagues Cup out of it.
There are 52 weeks in a year.
Minus a 13 week offseason that can't be reduced without a new CBA. 39 Weeks.
Minus 5 international break weeks (not counting summer tournaments like the Gold Cup, World Cup, Euros, etc.). That's 34 weeks.
Minus a 3 week Gold Cup every 2 years. That's 31 weeks.
Show me. Ignore stadium issues, but show which weeks of the year you want MLS to play 38 games using only 31 weeks, accounting for the international breaks.
Because I think you're saying you want 7 DGW midweek games every year before accounting for stadium issues, plus USOC and CCL, unless you have another solution I'm missing to fit 38 games in 31 weeks.
Everyone says MLS is incompetent and has to fix it. But nobody makes the sausage.

Last edited:
34 game season.
4 MLS cup rounds
That's 38 games, before accounting for USOC, or CCL. I'll keep Leagues Cup out of it.
Minus 5 international break weeks (not counting summer tournaments like the Gold Cup, World Cup, Euros, etc.). That's 34 weeks.
Show me. Ignore stadium issues, but show which weeks of the year you want MLS to play 38 games using only 31 weeks, accounting for the international breaks.
Because I think you're saying you want 7 DGW midweek games every year before accounting for stadium issues, plus USOC and CCL, unless you have another solution I'm missing to fit 38 games in 31 weeks..
Everyone says MLS is incompetent and has to fix it. But nobody makes the sausage.

Not to mention with 3 new teams next season, it'll be even more games in the same time period.

I don't envy the schedulers and for the most part, I think they do a decent job. MLS can be blamed for a few things. First, they shouldn't let any team into the league unless they have a SSS. Stadium issues should be eliminated altogether. This would allow them to at least have a better chance at addressing the second thing, which is to make squeeze those mid-week games into the early and middle part of the season when pushing for the playoff spots isn't as critical and teams are still trying to find their form and match fitness, so a few extra games won't hurt. No, it's not ideal with all the travel and travel rules about private charters, but it's something. Yes, I understand we wouldn't be a club if a SSS was a requirement, but that'd be ok with me as I'd much rather they do it right the first time rather than be in the situation we have now...

also, i just peeked on the NE website to see if they have any international callups but couldn't find anything. but i did see that they are providing game tickets and round trip bus transportation for 700 of their STHs to attend the game on saturday. How come we don't do this? or maybe we do and my ticket rep lied to me. All I know about is the $10 away game tickets. Having actual transportation provided by the club to regional away games would make it a whole lot easier for a carless person like me to go to games.

Not to mention with 3 new teams next season, it'll be even more games in the same time period.

I don't envy the schedulers and for the most part, I think they do a decent job. MLS can be blamed for a few things. First, they shouldn't let any team into the league unless they have a SSS. Stadium issues should be eliminated altogether. This would allow them to at least have a better chance at addressing the second thing, which is to make squeeze those mid-week games into the early and middle part of the season when pushing for the playoff spots isn't as critical and teams are still trying to find their form and match fitness, so a few extra games won't hurt. No, it's not ideal with all the travel and travel rules about private charters, but it's something. Yes, I understand we wouldn't be a club if a SSS was a requirement, but that'd be ok with me as I'd much rather they do it right the first time rather than be in the situation we have now...

also, i just peeked on the NE website to see if they have any international callups but couldn't find anything. but i did see that they are providing game tickets and round trip bus transportation for 700 of their STHs to attend the game on saturday. How come we don't do this? or maybe we do and my ticket rep lied to me. All I know about is the $10 away game tickets. Having actual transportation provided by the club to regional away games would make it a whole lot easier for a carless person like me to go to games.
They did supply buses to the Hartford match. Might've been $5 or something. And not through the club but the Third Rail does the occasional bus charter. Or at least they have in the past, not sure if it's still at thing. I've done that a couple of times. Was really handy for the Hofstra match a few years ago as I don't have a car either.

I would definitely support club buses to Philly, New England, DC, etc. I would think there'd be enough interest to fill at least one if not several. Maybe even to Montreal, although that's both further and international so perhaps a bit more complicated.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
They did supply buses to the Hartford match. Might've been $5 or something. And not through the club but the Third Rail does the occasional bus charter. Or at least they have in the past, not sure if it's still at thing. I've done that a couple of times. Was really handy for the Hofstra match a few years ago as I don't have a car either.

I would definitely support club buses to Philly, New England, DC, etc. I would think there'd be enough interest to fill at least one if not several. Maybe even to Montreal, although that's both further and international so perhaps a bit more complicated.

I think I had heard about the Third rail providing buses sometimes, but never really looked into it more. I just think if cheap owners like the Krafts can pay for 700 of their STHs to go to a game and provide round trip transportation, why can't CFG/Yankees? especially now when we're doing a top seed push, having the away support would be much appreciated by the team I'm sure. Not sure how many other clubs in MLS provide this service, but I think it's a great thing and something that should be replicated. Spend the money on THIS. I think it would be a GREAT benefit to list on their city membership site. anyway, this is off topic...

back on topic.. it does seem NE doesn't have any missing for international duty. Would be nice (for us), if NE decide to rest some players but it's probably unlikely since they'll have a week off before going to orlando. we're gonna be going up against a full power revs squad who are on a roll right now. i've got money on Ring picking up another yellow this game.

I forgot to account for international breaks overlapping with our off-season. Currently that's 2, which reduces the minimum DGWs to 5, plus tournaments and stadium issues. Maybe that's borderline acceptable? Perhaps, but not IMO so clearly superior that you can say it is ridiculous to play in International weeks. Regardless, people need to acknowledge these factors before demanding a fix.

First, they shouldn't let any team into the league unless they have a SSS. Stadium issues should be eliminated altogether.
There will always be some stadium issues.
To start, unless you want to force Seattle, Atlanta and New England into SSS, they have issues that are less extreme than ours, but still real.
Put them aside, almost every city reserves the right to schedule a few events into these venues. Even the ones with no subsidies need zoning and regulatory clearance and the governments insist on these sort of give backs. Again, nothing is as extreme as NYCFC and Yankee Stadium, but when you are already squeezed tight with 38 games in 31-33 weeks (albeit only 17-21 in each venue), every other conflict just creates more pressure that is hard to contain.
I'm almost fully in agreement with your post by the way, and just using this to emphasize that time is almost always the least forgiving and most inflexible resource in any logistics problem. Every additional minor stress point added can have exponential effects.

Last edited:
Oh I don’t know, maybe start by eliminating half of the postseason. It’s easy to point fingers at the CBA, or stadium issues, but the length of the season/post-season is MLS-made. Drop it to the top four teams in the league, not each conference, and then eliminate the midweek games. There’s your sausage.

Reactions: Kjbert
Depending on how Ofori is doing my guess is...

Tinnerholm - Ibby - Sweat - Miller
Ring
Maxi - Parks
GMS - Taty - Mitri

with possible rotations for TFC in the midfield and front line. eg. Medina for GMS or Mitri.

Yeah, this is the lineup that I have in mind too. We've been told that Miller played some LB at other clubs in the past, so it makes sense to shift him out there. Fortunately, we have the first choice guys in the midfield; we will need to control the ball to take pressure off the back line.

As mentioned, the bench is limited to Medina and JPT (plus Barraza). Also would not be surprised to see Isi on the bench and ready to make an appearance, assuming its true that he returned to training last week.

I wouldn't be surprised to have Johnson back for Toronto. Maybe he gets a run out in the Mexico match, and they send him home. They called up 4 goalkeepers for these two games, and that might be a reason why.

Reactions: Kjbert
34 game season.
4 MLS cup rounds
Because I think you're saying you want 7 DGW midweek games every year before accounting for stadium issues, plus USOC and CCL, unless you have another solution I'm missing to fit 38 games in 31 weeks.

Double game weeks is better than having crucial late-season games played with skeleton rosters. Yes, I'd rather have more double game weeks.

Will be interesting to see how Dome has that back line play. We'll likely be right-heavy for the foreseeable future, but it should add a little defensive solidity if Miller is more comfortable staying home. Thankfully we have as good an offense as anyone even down a handful of players. I wonder if we get a 2-goal lead if Dome tries to get MF guys to rotate their press to save legs. Going to be a tall task against a solid NE side.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

NE does this every year though, one away trip. It used to be RBNJ from what i hear. still neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.