Home V D. C. United 08/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last game they had exactly 1 shot and won. The previous match they scored 6. Take from that whatever the hell you can/want.
I'm also new to MLS and I'm surprised by how close (or maybe just inconsistent) the teams are. I can't tell if it's because of all the rules that appear to be in place to ensure competition, or whether consistency is the component of quality that's lacking in this league, relative to others.

Reactions: canchon
We have lots of internet nycfc fans by what im reading. Show up on Thursday and lets support these guys through tough times.

So many fans spent their money at NJRB and now cant make it to the BX... Give me a break.

I will be there and So should everyone

We have lots of internet nycfc fans by what im reading. Show up on Thursday and lets support these guys through tough times.

So many fans spent their money at NJRB and now cant make it to the BX... Give me a break.

Really? REALLY????? Could be the worst, most misinformed post on this forum. Ever. Period.

Reactions: SayWhat44 and Gene
I can't make it. Feel bad but from CT on a weeknight not doable and I'm battling illness. Will watch on TV of course. I don't really watch non NYC MLS so I know little of DC other than they have a good record.
You should. Then it won't be that shocking when we lose games. On the contrary, you'll go in expecting to lose so that when we do get a win, it's that much sweeter.

RBNJ was also on a Sunday. For me Harrison is a stone's throw away. BX on a week night, when I have to be up at 5 in the morning for work? Lol, I'll watch from home.

This is my best XI and the best formation in my eyes. Call it a 433, call it an unbalanced 442. our team is loaded with offensive talent, it makes no sense not to play offensively. We are vulnerable to the counter, but we have been anyway even with a more defensive set up. You MUST put Mix with pirlo or Pirlo is going to get abused every game like RB did. Its the role Mix plays with the nats supporting Bradley as he moves up the field.

abJzkhxafU.png

Last edited:
This is my best XI and the best formation in my eyes. Call it a 433, call it an unbalanced 442. our team is loaded with offensive talent, it makes no sense not to play offensively. We are vulnerable to the counter, but we have been anyway even with a more defensive set up. You MUST put Mix with pirlo or Pirlo is going to get abused every game like RB did. Its the role Mix plays with the nats supporting Bradley as he moves up the field.

abJzkhxafU.png
This would definitely be the most fun lineup to see. I might still go Hernandez in place of Mena since I think he is a bit less error prone, but I could go either way and like Mena long term. I'm also inclined to agree that we are never going to be stout defensively in the midfield, so why not try to get out to a good start and then lock it down if we can get a lead?

This looks good to me. Any reasoning for having Facey on the right? I wonder how Mix feels about playing the DM role. I know it's not his call but I am sure the club is somewhat sensitive to his preferences. If he sees himself as an attacking player it could explain why we have only seen him in the DM role when Jacobson was suspended. With all the young attacking talent coming up through the ranks on the USMNT right now he should be begging from time at DM in order to develop that skill set. I think slotting into Beckerman's DM spot once he steps down is the only real chance he has at playing meaningful minuets for the USMNT in the near future.

This would definitely be the most fun lineup to see. I might still go Hernandez in place of Mena since I think he is a bit less error prone, but I could go either way and like Mena long term. I'm also inclined to agree that we are never going to be stout defensively in the midfield, so why not try to get out to a good start and then lock it down if we can get a lead?

I am not sure swapping Mix for Jacobson is that much of a defensive compromise, I think they are about equal on D . The drop off to me comes from Poku who doesn't track back with the same energy level as Mix or TMac. Poku has the skill set to provide defensive cover, if he steps up his work rate when the opponent has the ball I think this line up could actually end up being stronger defensively than the one we started against RB.

After watching the last game vs Jersey again, honestly we didn't play that bad, especially our defense. The redbulls got a fluke goal in the first half, and because we were pressuring and wanting to tie the game, we threw numbers forward and they came back on a bad goal by Felipe again. Other then that the Redbulls really were not threatening that much.

On top of that we were VERY VERY unlucky. With the chances that Mix and Lampard missed, and offside call on Villa, and the Non-PK call on Lampard, we really should have won that game. With that said, again we didn't not play that bad vs Redbulls but they got all of the breaks without a doubt.

Hopefully we can beat DC who I claim just like last year is not very good, they are more hype then anything else. What they do have going for themselves is a very good defense and a GREAT GK, in Hamid. I have seen DC win many games and salvage points, especially on the road when they have been badly outplayed but because of their GK, and their defensive backline not giving up fluke goals, they come away with points. I think just like this year, DC will get bounced early on in the playoffs, even if they win the SS. With that said, its really getting late, if we don't come away with 3 points we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

This looks good to me. Any reasoning for having Facey on the right? I wonder how Mix feels about playing the DM role. I know it's not his call but I am sure the club is somewhat sensitive to his preferences. If he sees himself as an attacking player it could explain why we have only seen him in the DM role when Jacobson was suspended. With all the young attacking talent coming up through the ranks on the USMNT right now he should be begging from time at DM in order to develop that skill set. I think slotting into Beckerman's DM spot once he steps down is the only real chance he has at playing meaningful minuets for the USMNT in the near future.

I am not sure swapping Mix for Jacobson is that much of a defensive compromise, I think they are about equal on D . The drop off to me comes from Poku who doesn't track back with the same energy level as Mix or TMac. Poku has the skill set to provide defensive cover, if he steps up his work rate when the opponent has the ball I think this line up could actually end up being stronger defensively than the one we started against RB.
I think of it more like Mix moves up the field with Pirlo and then jumps into the attack when he can. Allows him to play all over as needed. He is smart and moves into positions well. Gives Pirlo an outlet that Jacobson doesn't provide.

Tom

abJzkhxafU.png

Tom, I have been saying this since week 5 or around there. However, I think we put in the big GK in for Saunders. Saunders is not very good, and although he plays hard, gives great effort, and isn't afraid to go at it, he just is not very good. I really hope Kreis gives Johannsen (sP?) a chance. Also, enough with Poku on the bench, we need to start to play our best players the maximum amount of minutes. I love poku underneath Villa. However I do not like Pirlo and Mix tucked in in the middle like that. We would get eaten alive on the flanks. Keep Pirlo in front of the backline, make Mix go left a little more, and bring Lampard towards the center right midfield and Poku underneath Villa. Tommy Mcnamara, a little higher up.

abJzkhxafU.png

Yup, this is extremely similar to my last lineup post in the formation thread. As much as we all want Mix involved in the attack, it's not worth it because then Jacobson must be on the field. The upgrade from Jacobson to Mix at DM is much bigger than the non-existent downgrade from Mix to Poku at AM. You could probably even play Ballouchy there and sub Poku in, and the tradeoff is still worth it.

With the short rest for this game and considering that Pirlo and Lampard are not match fit yet, wouldn't be surprised if Kreis starts a midfield of something like Jacobson-Mix-Ballouchy-Grabavoy (yes, everyone can shoot themselves now), tries to get through the first half/60 minutes unscathed, and then puts in Pirlo/Lamps/Poku/McNamara and goes for the win at the end.

MLS is a parity league and games turn on several plays (lucky or unlucky). Look at the last RBNY game - if Lampard or Mix hits the net, if the Villa offside call is not made - still don't know how people aren't howling about that call - he was waaaaay onside and was clear in on the keeper when the call was made, then the game takes a completely different turn.

We've seen it before when you have a top team, firing on all cylinders, come in against a weaker team and when all signs appear to favor one team, exactly the opposite happens. I get the feeling that NYCFC wins this one and keeps the next few weeks interesting. DCU has won something like 3 games in a row, this isn't the PL where a Chelsea loses 2 games all year. Even the best MLS teams will not be that far over .500.

Reactions: Vallos
Yup, this is extremely similar to my last lineup post in the formation thread. As much as we all want Mix involved in the attack, it's not worth it because then Jacobson must be on the field. The upgrade from Jacobson to Mix at DM is much bigger than the non-existent downgrade from Mix to Poku at AM. You could probably even play Ballouchy there and sub Poku in, and the tradeoff is still worth it.

3-4-1-2: free Angelino, let him play left wing. Let Poku partner with Villa, and Lamp being the CAM behind them. TommyMac, Pirlo in the middle and Angelino and Mix on two wings, Mena, Ira/Hernandez, Facey for the 3 CB positions. And upgrade our goalie. Sounders way too nervous on the field and looks like a deer caught in light most of the time and scared/depressed. Sign another striker next season who can help out Villa.
Why would it work? Our def will be under much less stress if our mid field controls the ball more and slows the pace down. It can happen with our mid field.

Reactions: FootyLovin
3-4-1-2: free Angelino, let him play left wing. Let Poku partner with Villa, and Lamp being the CAM behind them. TommyMac, Pirlo in the middle and Angelino and Mix on two wings, Mena, Ira/Hernandez, Facey for the 3 CB positions. And upgrade our goalie. Sounders way too nervous on the field and looks like a deer caught in light most of the time and scared/depressed. Sign another striker next season who can help out Villa.
Why would it work? Our def will be under much less stress if our mid field controls the ball more and slows the pace down. It can happen with our mid field.
While I like a lot of what you say here, I don't think it can happen for many reasons. #1 is it is way too big a departure. Even if we have the personnel for this it requires a coach who would take that kind of chance. And for better or worse we don't have that coach.

Reactions: roxfontaine
I don't hate this. Would be a big change though. I would play Pirlo and Mix in the middle and Iraola and Angelino on the wings. Hard to find a place for TMac though, and he has been a workhorse.

If you want to take out Jacobson in this game (and I am not totally sold on that one), it seems to me you have two options.

1 - Keep playing the 4-2-3-1 with Mix back next to Pirlo and bring on Poku or a midfielder to replace Mix as a wing.
2 - Switch to a 4-4-2 with Pirlo at the bottom of the diamond, Lamps at the top and Poku as the 2nd striker.

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
While I like a lot of what you say here, I don't think it can happen for many reasons. #1 is it is way too big a departure. Even if we have the personnel for this it requires a coach who would take that kind of chance. And for better or worse we don't have that coach.

The managing director needs to make a decision on the coach soon. I would look in Spain/Italy/maybe former Yugoslavia area for the next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.