Houston Dynamo Sign Cubo Torres

Z4CH3B99

Borracho Aficionado
Aug 5, 2014
"The Houston Dynamo have signed Mexico national team forward Erick “Cubo” Torres as a Designated Player. The Dynamo signed Torres after an agreement was reached by Major League Soccer to secure his rights from Mexican club Chivas de Guadalajara. Per club and league policy, financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

As part of the transfer agreement, Torres will spend up to six months on loan with Chivas de Guadalajara for the 2015 Liga MX Torneo Clausura, which begins Jan. 9.

Torres scored 15 goals in 29 games in 2014, a Chivas USA club record for a single season. The 21-year-old joined Chivas USA on loan from Guadalajara in July 2013 and scored 22 goals in 44 appearances in one and a half seasons, the most goals by a Mexican-born player in MLS history.

"I’m extremely excited to be joining the Houston Dynamo. It’s one of the premier clubs in MLS and a place where I really wanted to sign,” Torres said. “I can’t wait to join my teammates in Houston and continue their success on the field. I'd like to thank Lino Dicuollo of MLS, my agents Richard Motzkin and Rodrigo Morales of Wasserman, and Dynamo president Chris Canetti in making this deal happen.”

The striker made his Mexico national team debut in September against Bolivia and scored his first goal for El Tri against Panama a month later. Torres featured for Mexico youth national teams at the U-17, U-20 and U-23 levels before breaking into the senior team this year. At 18, he was the youngest member of the squad at the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup as Mexico finished in third place. Torres appeared in seven games and scored one goal.

“This is a monumental signing. We are thrilled to welcome Cubo to the Dynamo,” Dynamo president Chris Canetti said. “He strengthens our team and brings excitement to our fan base. He is a dynamic player that will be fun to watch and an excellent young man that will be a great ambassador in our community.”

The Guadalajara native made his Liga MX debut with Chivas in November 2010 at age 17. Torres scored six goals in 15 games in the 2011 Clausura season as Chivas reached the semifinals of the Liga MX playoffs. Torres scored 14 goals in 65 league games over three years with Guadalajara before he joined Chivas USA in MLS.

"We are thrilled that Erick 'Cubo' Torres will be joining the Houston Dynamo,” Dynamo vice president/general manager Matt Jordan said. “He is one of the most intelligent and dynamic young attackers in MLS and CONCACAF. The commitment our ownership group has shown with this signing is an important message to our fans and to the city of Houston. This is a historic moment in the history of our club to have the MLS all-time Mexican-born scoring leader wearing the Houston Dynamo jersey."

In November, Torres scored five goals in four appearances, including two goals in the final versus Venezuela, as the Mexico U-21s won the 2014 Central American and Caribbean Games.

"We are delighted to sign a such a talented young player with the scope and potential to improve further,” Dynamo head coach Owen Coyle said. “For me, he is an outstanding player who does the toughest thing in soccer with ease, and that is to score goals. I look forward to working with him and helping to make him even better."

Torres opened each of his two seasons with Chivas USA in goal-scoring form. In 2013, he scored six goals in his first seven games with the Goats. Last season, Torres scored in each of the first four games of the season and had eight goals through ten games. Torres was a 2014 MLS-All Star and assisted on Bradley Wright-Phillips’ equalizing goal against Bayern Munich." - MLS article on the signing

A terrific signing for Houston.

Torres is going to bring Houston's huge Mexican community to that stadium. He got his first cap with El Tri and got a goal (game winner wasn't it?) and now is going to the mothership Chivas so Mexican and Mexican-Americans will know who this kid is as well they should. He has a bunch of great goals the last few years.

Reactions: einwindir
MLS botched this announcement. They should have waited till they could trumpet it as loud as possible not have it buried during the holidays.

This is huge for Houston and one of the best DPs in all of MLS. He's young, great pull with the Hispanic audience (who by all accounts, are the majority of soccer fans in the US) in a huge Hispanic market, and most importantly he scores incredible goals. Great signing on and off the field.

Reactions: Kjbert
MLS botched this announcement. They should have waited till they could trumpet it as loud as possible not have it buried during the holidays.

This is huge for Houston and one of the best DPs in all of MLS. He's young, great pull with the Hispanic audience (who by all accounts, are the majority of soccer fans in the US) in a huge Hispanic market, and most importantly he scores incredible goals. Great signing on and off the field.
Same thing with the Beasley signing. Two huge signings that seemed to fly very low on the radar. I wonder who Houston pissed off.

You guys think they start selling Cubo merch now or they wait until he shows up in Houston ready to play in Orange first?

Hope the Chivas coach doesn't go on and on about wanting to keep him for the entire year while claiming Cubo himself wants to stay.
He stays for six months that's it I think, it's mostly to save chivas from relegation which will be determined by May/ June. At most he may be called to copa America squad but after that he should be free to go to Houston

Until we find out he signed a short contract with Chivas and isn't technically a Dynamo player until June.
Then I would chuckle, but I doubt that. Vergara takes the money and runs for the most part. unless MLS says "I'll pay you when he comes to MLS in six months" and hasn't paid the fee now then yes your doubt Is reasonable

But if MLS paid the fee now then I believe there should be no problem.

Last edited: