How I Became A Nycfc Fan

Dyneblade

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 18, 2015
Last season was my first year watching MLS. I bought tickets to a Red Bulls game vs New England revs. My buddy and I fell in love with the players that Petke put on the pitch. They were a true blue collar team.

After Germany won the World Cup that week I picked up the two tickets. That was the bulls vs revs game I went too. Watching Thierry Henry In the all star game truly showed his talent. After watching the Red bulls for two weeks I found out about NYCFC. My buddy wanted to be a founding member . The ring tone of. " founding member" stuck in my head. Watching game after game with the Red bulls' players just couldn't pull me away from them.

Well, I'm the one that steered clear of NYCFC. I told my buddy Steve I loved the NYRBs players. I felt like that 94 kid I was when the Dallas Cowboys won Super Bowl 30. The NYRBs sparked that fire that was gone for awhile. Btw, just now the Cowboys had a really good season. I could never jump to another team other then the cowboys for American football.

Maybe the 20 yrs with the Dallas cowboys never making it much and the way the NFL was going back in August helped me click that button for those Red Bulls tickets. Oh , I can't forget about Mix and Tim Howard too. Some games they had this past summer.. Whoa!

At the end of September I remember telling him if Thierry Henry goes then maybe, just maybe I might think about the NYCFC. He gave me a nod and said " Ok." It was all New York Red Bulls from this point on Red and White blanketed my eyes. The bulls were not doing to good in September they were siting at the bottom of the playoff teams. It was Mike Petke that pulled the bulls back on track by changing the formation of the team. They ended up finishing 3rd or 4th for the east. I can't remember that part.

Once the first round ended with the bulls coming out as winners beating the SKC then beating DC in the 2nd. Steve told me " man, we have to get tickets!" He called up some of his old college buddies from jersey that night. Next All I know is we found our selfs with section 102 supporter tickets in hand. It was a show down between Bulls vs the Revs . We even managed to get on TV on ESPN.

The NYRBs didn't make it. A couple days later Henry posted for retirement. I then found myself looking around on the NYCFC website and reading up on the coach we had. I was still a Red Bulls fan at this point. I came to grips that I can root for two New York teams. Steve on the other hand want to root for the NYRBs and Real Salt Lake. He wanted to root for a west and east coast team. He liked watching RSL for the hi-tempo
Team. He always said they had a lot of heart. For me RSL was to far away I was set on both NY teams.

Doing my research on NYCFC the coach was from RSL. The way RSL was today was because of his way and teaching. For that I was able to get Steve to look back at NYCFC. We became NY soccer team fans. Still no NYCFC tickets in hand at this point. We planned it out and everything Steve and I would just not watch or go to the bulls vs NYCFC games. Our hatred for a rivalry would be shot at the Revs.

Until 1/7/2015 I scrolled my facebook feed to find "mike Petke let go from New York red bulls" faster then lighting my finger tapped on the post. My eyes shifted through the lines reading. I set my phone down thinking and asked myself. " why would a team get rid of a couch with 2 winning seasons and who was 1 goal away from the MLS cup?" The NYRBs was never seen these milestones before.

A team to fire a coach like this when the New York market is shrinking with another team entering it baffles my mind. I didn't want to go through another 20 years for rooting for a team where the management seemed lost on how to run a team. Aka another Jerry Jones. I ended up buying season tickets for NYCFC 3 days after the Petke firing. I posted on the NYRB facebook "next time I go to Red Bulls arena I will not be sitting in the supports section but the the 2nd tier where the visitors supporters section is located wearing sky blue."

That's my story on how I ended up a NYCFC Connecticut fan.

~Jason B.

Last edited:
Last season was my first year watching MLS. I bought tickets to a Red Bulls game vs New England revs. My buddy and I fell in love with the players that Petke put on the pitch. They were a true blue collar team.

The NYRBs didn't make it. A couple days later Henry posted for retirement. I then found myself looking around on the NYCFC website and reading up on the coach we had. I was still a Red Bulls fan at this point. I came to grips that I can root for two New York teams. Steve on the other hand want to root for the NYRBs and Real Salt Lake. He wanted to root for a west and east coast team. He liked watching RSL for the hi-tempo
Team. He always said they had a lot of heart. For me RSL was to far away I was set on both NY teams.

Doing my research on NYCFC the coach was from RSL. The way RSL was today was because of his way and teaching. For that I was able to get Steve to look back at NYCFC. We became NY soccer team fans. Still no NYCFC tickets in hand at this point. We planned it out and everything Steve and I would just not watch or go to the bulls vs NYCFC games. Our hatred for a rivalry would be shot at the Revs.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's interesting to hear how a passion can be ignited.

Reactions: Vito and Dyneblade
I picked Man city back in 2011 for my Barclays team, but never really watched soccer much. It was the underdog story that sucked me it. It took them 54 years to win something. It was more for when people asked " what is your favorite soccer team?" Never really gave mls a look until this last year.

Thanks, I will be NYCFC from now on. Man City is in 2nd place. There is no going back now. It's the " Founding member " that helps seal the deal.

After Germany won the World Cup that week I picked up the two tickets. That was the bulls vs revs game I went too. Watching Thierry Henry In the all star game truly showed his talent. After watching the Red bulls for two weeks I found out about NYCFC. My buddy wanted to be a founding member . The ring tone of. " founding member" stuck in my head. Watching game after game with the Red bulls' players just couldn't pull me away from them.

Well, I'm the one that steered clear of NYCFC. I told my buddy Steve I loved the NYRBs players. I felt like that 94 kid I was when the Dallas Cowboys won Super Bowl 30. The NYRBs sparked that fire that was gone for awhile. Btw, just now the Cowboys had a really good season. I could never jump to another team other then the cowboys for American football.

Maybe the 20 yrs with the Dallas cowboys never making it much and the way the NFL was going back in August helped me click that button for those Red Bulls tickets. Oh , I can't forget about Mix and Tim Howard too. Some games they had this past summer.. Whoa!

At the end of September I remember telling him if Thierry Henry goes then maybe, just maybe I might think about the NYCFC. He gave me a nod and said " Ok." It was all New York Red Bulls from this point on Red and White blanketed my eyes. The bulls were not doing to good in September they were siting at the bottom of the playoff teams. It was Mike Petke that pulled the bulls back on track by changing the formation of the team. They ended up finishing 3rd or 4th for the east. I can't remember that part.

Once the first round ended with the bulls coming out as winners beating the SKC then beating DC in the 2nd. Steve told me " man, we have to get tickets!" He called up some of his old college buddies from jersey that night. Next All I know is we found our selfs with section 102 supporter tickets in hand. It was a show down between Bulls vs the Revs . We even managed to get on TV on ESPN.

Until 1/7/2015 I scrolled my facebook feed to find "mike Petke let go from New York red bulls" faster then lighting my finger tapped on the post. My eyes shifted through the lines reading. I set my phone down thinking and asked myself. " why would a team get rid of a couch with 2 winning seasons and who was 1 goal away from the MLS cup?" The NYRBs was never seen these milestones before.

A team to fire a coach like this when the New York market is shrinking with another team entering it baffles my mind. I didn't want to go through another 20 years for rooting for a team where the management seemed lost on how to run a team. Aka another Jerry Jones. I ended up buying season tickets for NYCFC 3 days after the Petke firing. I posted on the NYRB facebook "next time I go to Red Bulls arena I will not be sitting in the supports section but the the 2nd tier where the visitors supporters section is located wearing sky blue."

~Jason B.
Jason,

Thanks for sharing. The firing of Petke was the last straw that broke the camels back for me. I was a long time long time metrostars fan aka redbulls. I went to numerous games at giants stadium. I had friends that played for the metrostars such as wolf nick and a few others. After the redbull company continuous lack of leadership with the team and treating the fans like an afterthought, I said, this is the time. Nycfc has the best coach in mls behind Bruce Arena. We are quickly developing a strong roster and this team truly represents the city I consider home. That's why I decided to become a nycfc fan and I have taken my father and brother with me. Glad to have you on our side! Can't wait for the season to start.

Reactions: Kubah
Thanks guys.

For the record on the whole Lampard thing. yea it was messed up, but the owner of Man City and NYCFC does not play. When he picked up Man City he didn't even blink before dropping 100 million just for salary. That allowed Man City to break their 44 year record of not winning the FA cup. 2011 they won the FA cup.

Last edited: