How Mainstream Were The (original) Cosmos?

Jntg4

Registered
May 26, 2014
Always been wondering about this as someone born a bit too late for that era and not being from NYC.

Always been wondering about this as someone born a bit too late for that era and not being from NYC.
Put it to you this way, there was a stretch in the late 70's early 80's where they averaged over 40,000 per game at Giants Stadium.

What were the Giants averaging in the same period, though?
Capacity was like 77,000 and Giants were averaging around 65,ooo.

I think there were Cosmos games that easily topped 5o,000 at their peak. I would say that would qualify as pretty mainstream.

Put it to you this way, there was a stretch in the late 70's early 80's where they averaged over 40,000 per game at Giants Stadium.
I've looked at the attendances, but I've also heard people from Seattle say that the Sounders still aren't as mainstream as we may think (as in, far behind the Mariners) so I wasn't sure.

Peaked at a 47,856 average at Giants Stadium in 1978.

Could you place them among the other NY sports teams as a measure of how popular they were? Not necessarily ordered, but who they were ahead of/behind.

NFL - New York Football Giants, New York Jets
MLB - New York Mets, New York Yankees
NBA - New Jersey Nets, New York Knickerbockers
NHL - New York Islanders, New York Rangers
NASL - New York Cosmos

It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but perhaps other than Nets the Cosmos were never more popular than any of the teams in the area.

It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but perhaps other than Nets the Cosmos were never more popular than any of the teams in the area.
Not even the pre-dynasty Islanders? They sure seem to have no fans right now anyway, and don't even get covered in some NY papers (Think it is the NY Daily News that has a Rangers section but neither the Isles nor the Devils).

Nope. Not even the pre-dynasty Islanders. In those days they had a pretty good up and coming team. Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Smith, Resch, Bossy et al were on those teams.

Nope. Not even the pre-dynasty Islanders. In those days they had a pretty good up and coming team. Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Smith, Resch, Bossy et al were on those teams.
Wondering how they'll fare in Brooklyn, team already valued at under $200M by Forbes and poor attendance, maybe being in the city will revitalize the franchise's business side.

Rumors of a new owner being announced after the Cup too.

The move off of Long Island can only help,and Barclays Center has a ton of transit options. They have some good young pieces in place,and being in Brooklyn in a new arena is a lot more attractive than the run down NVMC