In Defense Of Kreis...

Mix being a big bust for the club so far this year
what.gif.gif

If it looks like NYCFC won't make the playoffs next season, then I think Kreis could be fired.

But I think there is a zero chance he will be fired this year.

Remember, the core of NYCFC is castoff rejects like Grabavoy and Ballouchy and Mullins that other MLS teams didn't want. Only now with the new additions is Kreis getting some decent MLS talent to work with. Mix being a big bust for the club so far this year hasn't helped either...
Mullins was no cast-off. He was a sacrifice NER had to make. He was a big part of their team as a rookie. If we'd gotten as much from Khiry this year as NER got from him last year, we'd probably be having different conversations.

And finally, you make the case against yourself. You named 2 people that indeed aren't very good. Take their minutes, and compare them to Poku or Tommy.

Mix is only a bust if you only evaluate games via goals and assists. He kept us from being run off the field for the first 15 games. He's been our most important player.

Mullins was no cast-off. He was a sacrifice NER had to make. He was a big part of their team as a rookie. If we'd gotten as much from Khiry this year as NER got from him last year, we'd probably be having different conversations.

And finally, you make the case against yourself. You named 2 people that indeed aren't very good. Take their minutes, and compare them to Poku or Tommy.

Mix is only a bust if you only evaluate games via goals and assists. He kept us from being run off the field for the first 15 games. He's been our most important player.
I guess your expectations for Mix are lower than mine. The season is about halfway over and he has zero assists in league play. For a guy that is supposed to be one of the top players in NYCFC's midfield, those are disappointing stats.

I guess your expectations for Mix are lower than mine. The season is about halfway over and he has zero assists in league play. For a guy that is supposed to be one of the top players in NYCFC's midfield, those are disappointing stats.
Stats can be a useful tool, but they are not the be all and end all way of evaluating a players effectiveness. Mix has been an invaluable player for us, often singlehandedly trying to keep the midfield in tact. Now that he has people who can actually work with him he will be even better. That is, unless JK keeps sitting him for his little pet.

Reactions: Paul
It's the popular thing to have a go at Kreis on this forum now. Some of the bigger mouths here shout down others and they cannot be bothered I guess with dealing with all their noise.

The club/team is around 6 months old. Really that's enough time to assess a coach? He might well not be the answer but you will not found that out with an expansion team, especially an expansion team that did not exist in any form like the Sounders/Portland/Vancouver or Orlando.

One of the greatest managers of all time struggled and was overwhelmed when he first got the job at Man United. Kreis is no Ferguson, but if one of the greats struggled at first, why should a lesser coach than him not struggle/be overwhelmed in his first six months?

Not one of you guys probably thought Kreis was a shit coach before this season. This situation he is in is unique to Soccer and this league.

No expansion team has had the pressure this team has had. CFG has f'd him over before the team had started playing on several things.

Even if you think he has the players now, how can you judge a coach in three games since the new guys have come in?

The thing that takes the most work and time in soccer is defense; Ours is shit and will take a lot of work on the training field to fix and organize even with better quality players. Some don't even speak the same language, how was this going to be corrected in 6 months? (less considering all the changes it has had).

I think some of you guys signed up for this team because you thought it would be an instant challenger and are knee jerking and throwing dummies because it is not so.

I don't care who the coach is, six months is not enough time to way up a coach of an expansion team that never existed before in any form.

This guy was rated for years by many before he came here. Was it all false, is he in over his head, it could well be; But you do not find that out in this amount of time.

So you're admitting that your evaluation was based on his assist numbers? He's not supposed to be. He has been. He's covered every position and for our fullbacks most of the year. You yourself have said the players around him are shit. How can he bring the ball up from the back, get it through the midfield and also get an assist while still trying to cover for our shit defense?

Finally, I have you don't get any leeway for criticizing our players. If you underlying agenda is to in some way prove Sacha is better than him, run on back to that site you share with LAG and go ahead and tell them you won. Every intended defense of your position you write only undermines your own points when taken past first level thought. We are trying to have grown folks talk in here.

It's the popular thing to have a go at Kreis on this forum now. Some of the bigger mouths here shout down others and they cannot be bothered I guess with dealing with all their noise.

Not one of you guys probably thought Kreis was a shit coach before this season.

Actually it's not that it's popular, it is because he makes awful decision after awful decision.

And you're right. I didn't think he was shit before the season. In fact I thought he was great. He has proven me wrong. Hopefully he does again and gets back into winning form.

The club/team is around 6 months old. Really that's enough time to assess a coach? He might well not be the answer but you will not found that out with an expansion team, especially an expansion team that did not exist in any form like the Sounders/Portland/Vancouver or Orlando.

One of the greatest managers of all time struggled and was overwhelmed when he first got the job at Man United. Kreis is no Ferguson, but if one of the greats struggled at first, why should a lesser coach than him not struggle/be overwhelmed in his first six months?

Not one of you guys probably thought Kreis was a shit coach before this season. This situation he is in is unique to Soccer and this league.

No expansion team has had the pressure this team has had. CFG has f'd him over before the team had started playing on several things.

Even if you think he has the players now, how can you judge a coach in three games since the new guys have come in?

The thing that takes the most work and time in soccer is defense; Ours is shit and will take a lot of work on the training field to fix and organize even with better quality players. Some don't even speak the same language, how was this going to be corrected in 6 months? (less considering all the changes it has had).

I think some of you guys signed up for this team because you thought it would be an instant challenger and are knee jerking and throwing dummies because it is not so.

I don't care who the coach is, six months is not enough time to way up a coach of an expansion team that never existed before in any form.

This guy was rated for years by many before he came here. Was it all false, is he in over his head, it could well be; But you do not find that out in this amount of time.

I love how you dont really respond to criticism against what your saying or Kreis. You just keep spewing the same shit about being new and claiming we all expected to win big in our first season (a complete straw man by the way...)

Theres a reason the majority have slowly begun to take a skeptical look at Kreis and it is called having a brain and watching games...

Wow. You've conceded. Guys, someone alert the media. We have actually won an internet argument convincingly enough that this man has no points left to attempt to make. He's left with paraphrased re-hashings of the same old tired insults we've had thrown at us since our existence.

Don't get me wrong. Insulting people that disagree with you can be great fun. But your entire reasoning, at this point, is now to criticize those who are sick of his performance. You know who you are criticizing, right? The folks here on this board, building a community and getting to know each other week-in, week-out, win or lose. These same folks show up to events, whether with team personnel or just other supporters, doing whatever we can to help spread the name of our club. The same people put down day 1 and week 1 deposits. They've added to their tickets throughout. They seek out every story in every media format. They fret about how we can be better. The people right here on this board that you are addressing and attempting to insult were here watching every game together in the middle of a massive winless streak. I don't think anyone at all was blaming Kreis at that point. You may not remember that, as I don't really recall you being here.

I'm sorry that you're offended by the vast majority of the board having deemed as irrational your defenses of a coach whose lineups demonstrate all of the forethought and reasoning of a shit-slinging monkey. I think people have tried to mostly make rational arguments. If you think you've been shouted down then my advice to you would be that if you want to be a part of the family fights, then try being a regular member of the family first.

Before I started my current company I was an executive coach, among other things working with executives who ran billion dollar plus businesses. These weren't the problem employees. These were the highest potential employees these companies had.

Talent appraisal was a frequent conversation. How do you evaluate personnel and do so quickly, especially in top roles. See, these executives knew that a low talent player in a top role is far more damaging than a low talent player in a bottom role. So appraising those individuals rapidly and making quick decisions on them are among the most important skills any senior executive can have.

Give another 12 months to someone who has been in a senior executive role and making bad decisions is not a wise move. It's weak leadership.

That doesn't mean JK should absolutely be fired either. If CFG believes he has talent and needs to improve in certain key areas, then by all means, develop him.

But you don't keep him in his role because you haven't had enough time to assess. You only keep a senior executive in a key role if you feel s/he has performed exceptionally well or is exceptionally coachable.

At this stage I'm not convinced JK is either. Or if he is coachable, given how many times he has repeated the same type of mistakes, I'm not convinced he is getting the coaching he needs from above.

I just want him to stop playing players who contribute NOTHING. Just because Grabavoy won an MLS cup with him YEARS ago doesnt mean hes guaranteed a spot NOW. Theres no excuse for him playing Grabavoy constantly.He received that red card and sat out against OCSC and you seen the difference. Next match he gets put in and the team is back to struggling.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Some of the bigger mouths here shout down others and they cannot be bothered I guess with dealing with all their noise.

It's called "wasted energy," Gentile Gentile.
Why expend the energy when you see the tide is running against you?
Save your strength and live to "fight" another day.

It hasn't even been three games; it's been one. Lampard just played in his first match and now everybody has a contract out on Kreis. I mentioned earlier how that was match #22 out of a total 34. The assembled doesn't want to hear it. So fine.

This is one of the problems with social media because, God forbid, you might have a different opinion than the majority. The pitchforks and the torches are readily available. It doesn't mean you or I are any less desirious of seeing the team win or in the playoffs or, possibly, even winning the Cup.

I guarantee you one thing, though. Let the club make a run at the playoffs or the Cup and the same people who are complaining now will be nominating Kreis for Coach of the Year, (Of course, there will also be a vocal group who will say "Well, he had GREAT players; Kreis had nothing to do with it. See: Jackson, Phil.)

I'm going to continue to follow the club as I have all year long and see how the situation develops. I've always enjoyed watching how an expansion team is built. This one is no different, except it's in New York.

I will say the experience is completely different from when the Mets were born in 1962. It's fascinating to watch.

Cheers!

Reactions: Gentile