International Viewers (nycfc Games)

Vinjay

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
As most international members on this forum will have noted MLS Live is not available overseas. I attempted to watch a MLS game for the first time in a while last night via streaming. I tried a few which were dreadful and it once again brought up issue of watching NYCFC next season. Its a concern that some people could start to lose interest if games are constantly lagging with annoying ads popping up every 10 seconds. What if this happens for the first game in particular? The international rights are apparently owned by MP Silva (mpsilva.com) who I've contacted but of course there's probably not a substantial demand. I don't see why they couldn't do business with the MLS website some games can still be distributed for Tv.

Apparently some people found a way to purchase the WWE Network overseas so perhaps the same could be done with MLS Live. The problem is who wants to potentially waste money attempting it? Has anyone successfully subscribed from overseas? I know we might not be allowed to talk about this on the forum but still...

This is probably the most important issue for overseas fans.

I have heard of people purchasing and using MLS Live while using VPN's and such. These are mostly Americans though who are overseas and want to keep up with the league. It is important to remember though that a new deal kicks in next season and we don't really know what to expect. For example, it appears as though ESPN now owns the streaming rights and will be putting their own package together. From what little we know about the MP Silva deal, it is a one year deal and will expire at the end of this season. Who knows what to expect next season.

Also, if it's not changed and you still have to go to the shady streaming sites, download adblock to your browser.

Seeing as how there's no way any provider in England will purchase rights to show NYCFC (MAYBE one in Manchester) I think that's your only option.
If you think we have it any easier we don't. Unless you live in NYC you won't be watching every game without paying $$.
Up until 2 years ago it was the same way for Premier League. Now with much greater interest each week NBC shows about 7 games and then the rest you can watch on NBC Live Extra online. But before then I was watching online via streams. Same with Bundesliga and La Liga. I can't watch any games from those leagues.
With MLS still trying to procure viewers here in the states I think international supporters are the least of their worries. There's maybe 2 games a week if that on national broadcasts. At the start of the season I didn't watch an MLS game until week 3 I believe.

Fortunately we get two nationally televised matches each week in a guaranteed timeslot next season. Perhaps those broadcasts can easily be licensed abroad if the contract permits. Unfortunately for our Euro friends those time slots would be at 2200 and 0000 in Manchester.

If NYCFC signs a deal with YES as our local station I believe they sell a package around the world so you can watch anything on YES network live

If NYCFC signs a deal with YES as our local station I believe they sell a package around the world so you can watch anything on YES network live
I don't think they could sell live, or even delayed match coverage unless they sold it via the league.

Seeing as how there's no way any provider in England will purchase rights to show NYCFC (MAYBE one in Manchester) I think that's your only option.
If you think we have it any easier we don't. Unless you live in NYC you won't be watching every game without paying $$.
Up until 2 years ago it was the same way for Premier League. Now with much greater interest each week NBC shows about 7 games and then the rest you can watch on NBC Live Extra online. But before then I was watching online via streams. Same with Bundesliga and La Liga. I can't watch any games from those leagues.
With MLS still trying to procure viewers here in the states I think international supporters are the least of their worries. There's maybe 2 games a week if that on national broadcasts. At the start of the season I didn't watch an MLS game until week 3 I believe.

Well paying is another matter altogether I was talking about the options. Time issues fortunately for me are irrelevant at the moment too. Being in close proximity (as most are) AND having the apparently reliable MLS Live option (and YES) is easier.

So what are other international members planning on for majority of games? Stream, Tv coverage (when its available) or anyone going to try the VPN thing?

I had no idea YES do international packages but even so the games could be blacked out internationally by MLS. Maybe someone in the US could post a torrent of the full 90 mins (from YES or wherever) but I know people won't be able to post those links here.

If anything I can create a private section for international members.
Was already considering doing that.

I honestly have no idea how I plan on finding the matches each week. I might have to rely on highlights packages for a lot of them, I'll have to see. Anything behind a paywall is likely to be prohibitive to me, but I'll look more into it closer to the time.

I honestly have no idea how I plan on finding the matches each week. I might have to rely on highlights packages for a lot of them, I'll have to see. Anything behind a paywall is likely to be prohibitive to me, but I'll look more into it closer to the time.

<deleted reference to streaming>

<deleted reference to streaming>

I appreciate what you're saying, but please don't post references to streaming websites on this forum. By all means keep using the streams, I'm not going to comment on that, but posting links to websites, even if you modify them so they don't appear as actual links, is the kind of thing that can get supporters forums shut down by the TV companies.

I am not sure how this helps, but MLS Live will go away after this season and ESPN will take it over. Apparently you will be able to use the WatchESPN app to watch most MLS games, excluding the ones that other national broadcasters get (Fox and Univision in the USA). Not sure how that applies overseas.

Press conference and info here:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ghts-partnerships-espn-fox-univision-deportes

EDIT:

I did see this, so I am not sure what will happen next year for most of you, sorry:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/faq#faq19
Can I access WatchESPN internationally?
At this time, WatchESPN is only available on U.S. domestic internet and wireless services.

If anything I can create a private section for international members.
Was already considering doing that.

Just noticed new thread on the likely YES domestic deal so decided to bump this back up. It seems that Xgames, Wsop, World Lacrosse and NCAA college are all available in Europe (excluding Italy), Canada, Middle East, Africa, South America (some exceptions), Australasia (aside from Australia and New Zealand LOL) and Asia (seemingly excluding virtually everywhere LOL)

That watch ESPN link above has obviously been updated so don't know what this means for MLS internationally at the moment. The poker WSOP streams are very cheap actually so I might "do some business" with watchESPN but hopefully MLS too. I'm attempting to ask via live chat right now (which does not look to be of much help) so could send an email about it unless someone here has the answer.

I can't see MLS mentioned on watchESPN site at all though MLS is lising it alongside MLS Live and associated Tv deals.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/tv (Clicked the watchESPN link and just redirected to the site with details of their other sports)

Last edited:
In the UK, BT Sport/ESPN have the rights to MLS, both playoffs games are on live this weekend, . Not sure if that will continue next season.

Their coverage of the A League is excellent, haven't missed a Melbourne City game all season.

Yes well I'm referring to every game not select choices of international broadcasting partners. ESPN UK isn't WatchESPN who still haven't responded to my email.

Surely they don't show every Melbourne game on BT/ESPN? I assume you watch some of them on international streams? The "unofficial" MLS streams I've watched seem to vary in standard though its got better since using the block for those damn ads. I'm not going on those sites with my new laptop though its probably stuff like that which slowed down my now backup spare. Obviously it won't be via MLS Live anymore...

I don't really watch that many Melbourne games due to them kicking off on a Saturday or Friday morning at around 5/6 AM. However, with NYCFC I get the impression that we'll get a lot of UK airtime. The MLS has had increased broadcasting in the UK and with the interests of many fans and the DPs I presume we'll be one of the first teams on.
However, knowing our look; I'll probably have to make do with highlights or dodgy streams.

Yes well I'm referring to every game not select choices of international broadcasting partners. ESPN UK isn't WatchESPN who still haven't responded to my email.

Surely they don't show every Melbourne game on BT/ESPN? I assume you watch some of them on international streams? The "unofficial" MLS streams I've watched seem to vary in standard though its got better since using the block for those damn ads. I'm not going on those sites with my new laptop though its probably stuff like that which slowed down my now backup spare. Obviously it won't be via MLS Live anymore...

Not only does BT Sport show every Melbourne City game, they show every A-League game, owing to there only being 10 teams in the league, and all of them being deliberately put on at different times to avoid clashes.

I don't know whether this will continue or not but I've seen MLS games shown on betting sites. There's no full screen but the pictures are good and less chance of freezing or unwanted downloads popping up. The MLS Final is being shown on William Hill and Bet 365. I believe a minimum bet within 24 hrs of broadcast (might be £1 and does not have to be on the exact match viewed) applies to view live matches so maybe this will be a reliable way to see some NYCFC games next season.