Is Anyone Else Jealous...

Look I know mls rules handicaps some moves put giovinco makes 7m and dos santos makes 4m? Both player in their prime so at 6m we couldn't attract a top tier player in their prime? Not buying especially the chance to play in nyc

If you put Giovinco in a top team (like he was in the Serie A with Juventus) he would be a bench player (which he was). He's only standing out because it's the MLS. By the way, Dos Santos only made $4m to play with them for the remainder of the reason. On a full-season salary (next year) he'll be making probably close to $7m. Regardless, they could get someone like Villa who is out of their prime (and selling a ton of jerseys) but just as good as someone like Dos Santos who isn't as world-class and legendary. They didn't know Lampard would be so shit. He did decent in Man City and played full 90 minutes in each of his last 8 games there. Pirlo was the answers to (some of) our prayers. They really needed him to orchestrate the field because our players were all over the place and they had nobody to make insane passes and crosses, switch the field, etc.

Although he hasn't succeeded in doing all these things, you see him improving every game.

I really digressed there but.... yeah. CFG chose these players because of how popular they were and how they were performing in their last season with their old clubs (kinda?).

Reactions: Gene
If there were no roster regulations in MLS such as DP spots, international spots, salary cap. I think we would have a star studded roster. Would they be a great team though? Most likely not.

Ummmm completely disagree. If there was no cap and we could buy whoever we wanted for the whole roster CFG would have pimped this out as easily the best squad in the league.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
NYCFC spent big on all 3 DPs. Players in their prime are not going to want to play in MLS, plain and simple.

Except rosters on paper don't win you games.
Ummmm completely disagree. If there was no cap and we could buy whoever we wanted for the whole roster CFG would have pimped this out as easily the best squad in the league.

NYCFC spent big on all 3 DPs. Players in their prime are not going to want to play in MLS, plain and simple.
That's not entirely true. Is FC Dallas going to pay $100m for a transfer fee for Pogba next cycle? No, but there are players in their primes on top-50 National Teams playing in MLS right now. I'm not sure you can deny that. And even though MLS teams can't pay equivalent to most European leagues, I think the talent gap in spots 1-15 isn't quite as large as most people make it out to be, so we're getting good value as opposed to overpaying for middling talent.

It's all about the Champions League. Once you have a player that isn't good enough to consistently play in the UCL (Giovinco, Pirlo, Villa, Gerrard, Dos Santos), we're much more attractive.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
They would if they got a good contract here, which is rare 'cause of salary caps.

Depends how big of an attraction the Champions League is. Many, many transfers in Europe - to big-name teams, no less - have been shot down at the last minute because another team came in offering them CL football. In fact, many transfers to decent clubs - in Italy, France, Turkey etc - have been shot down because a club from a more prestigious league came in at the death. A player would have to either not care for these things or not have the offers on the table.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert