It's Official: T H 14 Calls It Quits

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
So says mlssoccer.com:
henry_0.jpg

"I am taking this opportunity to announce that unfortunately Saturday was my last game for the New York Red Bulls," Henry wrote on his Facebook page. "The decision has always been that I would leave after the duration of my contract and although that was never going to change, I didn't want it to distract from the progress of the team."
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

Red Bull is going to have a hard time replacing a player like him. I think Red Bull can stand on it's own with out him but it will definitely be a different team moving forward.

Reactions: Kjbert
I guess this is where we find out what Red bulls owners have in mind for the future of the team. Do they replace him with someone as skilled as he was, do they just fill out the DP spot with a random player? or do they not replace him with anyone at all? I mean didn't they only use two of the three DP this year?

Petke's quotes are awful if you are red bulls fan. Says he will need understanding from fans and media as they start a new way of doing things, building around young players. They are going to be really bad. Its going to be hilarious.

They go from the only team in town to the Mets in one season.

Petke's quotes are awful if you are red bulls fan. Says he will need understanding from fans and media as they start a new way of doing things, building around young players. They are going to be really bad. Its going to be hilarious.

So, basically, they're trying to spin not replacing Henry (and possibly Cahill) as a bold new plan to bring up young talent.

They were always the mets, but at least the Mets are a true New York City team

We will see what Red Bull decides to do, but my feeling is they will not spend large sums of money on NJRB anymore and will simply concede the NY market to NYCFC. They will probably even sell the team within a few years.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
We will see what Red Bull decides to do, but my feeling is they will not spend large sums of money on NJRB anymore and will simply concede the NY market to NYCFC. They will probably even sell the team within a few years.

Damn really? Another Dispersal draft in the future? Or sell to the cosmos?

Damn really? Another Dispersal draft in the future? Or sell to the cosmos?

No dispersal draft. Just sell to new owner like when RB took over the MetroStars

So, basically, they're trying to spin not replacing Henry (and possibly Cahill) as a bold new plan to bring up young talent.
If that Petke quote is true then this is the only way to interpret it. If this is the case it's very unfortunate. I really doubt Cahill continues his career with Red Bull either. My personal preferences aside, a player of Cahill's stature is much better served as a starter than an 80th minute sub. As much as I'm looking forward to NYCFC's inaugural season, I'm almost as interested in seeing what happens with Red Bull over the next few months.

Keep an eye on RB Leipzig in the 2. Bundesliga. Following their progress (or lack thereof) towards the Bundesliga should give a good indication as to where and how Austria is going to spend their money.

very true, and they were projected to be promoted. They are 6th now but they are only a point away from second. If they do get promoted i do see them getting more investment but not sure if it would be at the cost of RB New York. Maybe they sacrifice RB Brazil or RB Ghana.

If RBNY are going to continue their "spend big money on DP" I would think I'd be hearing them throw their hat in the Steven Gerrard ring. Seems that Gerrard isn't sure about staying at Liverpool (and the way things look now, it might be best for both sides if he leaves), and he would fit the big name splash if RB wants to continue that.

I've been thinking. Stevie and Lampard didn't work in the England NT but here in MLS it could. If Lamps play below the ST like he has at MCFC then AJ and SG can play CDM. Plus I'm sure a chunk of the NY Liverpool fans could be "converted"

Tim Cahill going to Melbourne City could solve a lot of problems all in one go. Won't happen though, especially since they just signed an Aussie DP.