NY is Blue

I just figured after 20 years of failure, they wanted someone to show them how to do it correctly.

Bingo. They still miss the part that our team is IN and OF NYC. Hire away the marketing person all you want to. She can't save you from your yourselves.

Reactions: The Toe
Kind of interesting how openly they talk about their dealings. Perhaps it's because of the single entity structure, all teams are employing similar methods and colluding with one another to grow the league.

All the same, I'd love to have this amount of transparency with our club's business model.

MLS and sports marketing requires everything to be cutting edge. Let the Red Bulls place an ad in AM New York while NYCFC makes videos like the jersey reveal that stayed trending on social media for 2-3 days.

Word. I just posted a call to action on facebook. I want to crush their spirit before they even get started. No club help. ALL US. You guys got any ideas for a campaign? We can do a graphic, set a tagline, hashtag, etc. and just let them know, directly from the people, that they have ZERO fuckin' claim here.

MLS and sports marketing requires everything to be cutting edge. Let the Red Bulls place an ad in AM New York while NYCFC makes videos like the jersey reveal that stayed trending on social media for 2-3 days.

yes i was surprised that it got such a good reception, probably one of the few times that we got good reception for anything.

i really felt this had been done before in MLS ( players revealing to fans the new jersey) ...again i didnt follow the league prior to NYCFC

Word. I just posted a call to action on facebook. I want to crush their spirit before they even get started. No club help. ALL US. You guys got any ideas for a campaign? We can do a graphic, set a tagline, hashtag, etc. and just let them know, directly from the people, that they have ZERO fuckin' claim here.

This might sound kind of weird, but do any of you guys follow Casey Neistat? He's a filmmaker who started daily vlogging on YT last year, and his videos get close to a million views daily. He did the NYC snowboarding vid that went totally viral and is pushing 13 million views. He's a quintessential New Yorker on social media, and even created his own app for sharing videos. I watch his stuff every day, and he seems down for just about anything people offer him. His love for the city should mesh well with our identity. Maybe hit him up with an offer to take him to a game - you never know what he can make out of it. Either way it would come from us, like Rox intends.

Here's a link to his youtube page. Warning - this shit is extremely addictive, like your day is considerably worse when he uploads after you leave for work. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtinbF-Q-fVthA0qrFQTgXQ

Last edited:
I can see a chant fitting here:

This City is yours? This City is yours?
10,000 empty seats!
Are you fucking sure?

Or a cleaner version:

The City is Red? The City is Red?
10,000 empty seats!
Did you hit your head?

There's nobody there
There's nobody there
You won two shields, and nobody cared!

21 years! 21 yeaaaaars!
21 years and you've never been here!

Harrison, New Jersey
Red Bull Arena is always empty
With a Knick knack paddy whack give a dog a bone
Why don't Red Bulls go back home?

I got more where that came from.

how bout we beat 'em on the pitch just once and then we can start yapping. YES, we draw more than them, YES New York is clearly BLUE. But fact of the matter is they owned us last year, top to bottom. No need to pander to their shit marketing.

how bout we beat 'em on the pitch just once and then we can start yapping. YES, we draw more than them, YES New York is clearly BLUE. But fact of the matter is they owned us last year, top to bottom. No need to pander to their shit marketing.

Extra motivation for the team to rise and for supporters to unite. Just an idea.

Extra motivation for the team to rise and for supporters to unite. Just an idea.
fair enough.

Team shouldn't need extra motivation, they play in front of 20K+ in the greatest city in the world. They play for us. If they need more than that they can fuck off. As for uniting the supporters, the division is mainly only seen by those within the supporters social media world, which when you're in it seems really big but actually isn't. Probably less ~10% of total fans are active in SG's.

Let the Red Bulls fans snipe on twitter and let their FO make grandiose claims. Rise above as we need to do none of those things. The only thing we need to do this year is beat em on the pitch. We beat em everywhere else already.

I don't disagree, Goodfella Goodfella. However, something is telling me to reiterate the point that the difference is in the people, not the ad dollars spent.

edit: That's also why I wanted it to come from us only. No club involvement whatsoever.

I don't disagree, Goodfella Goodfella. However, something is telling me to reiterate the point that the difference is in the people, not the ad dollars spent.

It's a bit of both, if I look at it honestly. RBNJ has never had a clue when it came to advertising their team. I mean they had Thierry Henry and only put a subway poster with him in his last year. Villa, Lampard, Mix were on full billboards in Times Square the day they signed. NYCFC has made an effort to connect with the people of NYC where RBNJ never did. Our initial advertising investment was significant. RBNJ has always come off as cocky in their approach and it's biting them in the ass. They should have spent the year after NY2 was announced blanketing the city in Red, they didn't. Arrogant fucks. Now they're irrelevant. They won the regular season and it was a blip on the media screen. can you imagine when NYC does that???

So the advertising set the foundation and the people are building the monument.

Rox is just doing his job. I don't think we need a reason/excuse to go above and beyond. Like you said, "NYCFC has made an effort to connect with the people of NYC where RBNJ never did." They have, and I see no reason not to reciprocate that in any way we can come up with. Yes we turn up, buy the merch, etc., but there's something to be said for showing our support in other ways. It doesn't even need to be NYC-RB centric, anything we do on our own connecting our fans to the city is another jab to RB in and of itself. Let the team worry about what happens on the field, we're there to support.

Agree with all your points, especially the non NYC-RB centric one, except the last one. I'm definitely gonna worry about what happens on the field. I want my team to do well. I have no issue with social media campaigns, unity, etc. I just don't like it all focused on RB.

Reactions: joe
Not only is the team an advertisement, which is lame, they are an advertisement for a product associated with Night at the Roxbury douches. They could play games in times square and very few people would be interested in supporting that kind of douchery.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I lean towards not engaging, as it suggests that we believe that a response is warranted. It clearly is not. Floyd Mayweather doesn't need to respond the the taunts of Glass Joe. I have no problem with supporter efforts to take creative steps to show our great bond between city and team. BUT I wouldn't even allude to the Red Bulls or their efforts in any respect.

Last edited: