Jersey postmatch

Does this mean we can end the Brillant hatred circle jerk now?

I discount the Brillant hate because the loudest source seems to be TR members/FB page etc. They long ago invalidated their player appraisal intelligence by sticking with Saunders because he clapped for them and TMac because he's the nice local guy way longer than any of the on field play warranted.

You lucky bastards didn't have to listen to Lalas go on and on about VAR and talk badly about how NYC was kicking long balls and not playing out of the back

I was going to say in my recap "Eff Lalas", but then I thought "well, that is tongue in cheek because I haven't even watched the game and maybe he would be different and not crap on NYCFC", but looks like some zebras don't change their stripes.

So Lalas, "is that the real NYCFC" that just came back with two goals from the best player in MLS? Effin Lalas.

First: signing, captain, home goal, MLS MVP, hat trick....
Ideally: Captain for first MLS cup and supporters shield
Must be: First NYCFC player to get a statue in NYC

Sorry, not first NYCFC hat trick. That would be "peeping" Lapmard against Colorado in that rainstorm. This was Villas first hat trick in MLS though so if that's what you meant, then yes, on point.

Sorry, not first NYCFC hat trick. That would be "peeping" Lapmard against Colorado in that rainstorm. This was Villas first hat trick in MLS though so if that's what you meant, then yes, on point.

opps, can we forget that one? That guy never cared about NYCFC anyway.

So happy just to see you smile, underneath this sky of blue.

, @ Red Bull jersey. Gotta song for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionNYC
OMG!!!! What a match and our captain!!!!! The joint was rocking tonight!!!
Bullbusters.jpg

Someone else pointed it out, and I admit to slacking on this myself, because he's such a rock we just ignore it now.

There is no way in hell we win that game without Sean Johnson in goal.

No one in the media will say it, but I'll call it right now that as of this season, he's outplaying any American keeper in the world. It's a welcome travesty that he hasnt claimed at least the 2nd spot.

There is no keeper in the world that would have outperformed him, resultswise. And that's all you can even pray for from a goalkeeper.

What. A. Player.

Best game I've been to. High drama. I thought we didn't press enough and let them dictate most of the tempo. We played counterattacking football with our backs to the wall. That's not us. Glad we snapped out of it.

Too big of a game for Lewis. Every time I said something positive about Sweat, he made a bonehead play. Even though Ring aims for the sky every time, he's the glue to this team. Herrera isn't much more than Mikey Lopez with talent. I like his distruptor style, but he's not the second coming you all make him out to be...yet. Glad to see Khiry not lose his one-touch skills lol.

Fun fact: We'd be at the bottom of the table without Villa.

Anyone else see the bike cop hit and flip over the cop car under the tracks? Crazy shit.

I have no voice.

Fuck the Red Bulls

Best game I've been to. High drama. I thought we didn't press enough and let them dictate most of the tempo. We played counterattacking football with our backs to the wall. That's not us. Glad we snapped out of it.

Too big of a game for Lewis. Every time I said something positive about Sweat, he made a bonehead play. Even though Ring aims for the sky every time, he's the glue to this team. Herrera isn't much more than Mikey Lopez with talent. I like his distruptor style, but he's not the second coming you all make him out to be...yet. Glad to see Khiry not lose his one-touch skills lol.

Fun fact: We'd be at the bottom of the table without Villa.

Anyone else see the bike cop hit and flip over the cop car under the tracks? Crazy shit.

I have no voice.

Fuck the Red Bulls
Disagree about Lewis. You underrated the importance of his pace and the corresponding threat.

And when you consider our other options, no, it is not possible to overstate how important Yangel is for us. Do you really think we even come close to winning that game with any of our options other than those two?

we wouldn't.

Big kudos to Okoli. Next to Villa's magic, he absolutely was the catalyst that changed the game. RB didn't know how to mark him because one moment he's posting up in the middle and the next he was on the wing. Should have had a sweet assist on villa's shot that Robles somehow saved. He finally played up to his physique and bullied them each attack. And just checked... he flicked the ball that Villa earned the PK on but they didn't give an assist for it.

Second shout out to Maxi. They repeatedly abused him with very little punishment. He's learned from Villa how to post up on a defender - it was hilarious to watch him hold them back to receive the pass. And for being 5'3" he sure can be a target on outlet passes - it's like his foot has a magnet to take the ball out of the air.

Assists tonight went to Ring and Brillant. How bout them apples!

And if Villa doesn't win goal of the year for the second, the voters can all Fck off

Btw, the ass-end of the match performances, based on what I saw live, was Ben Sweat.

Lately, he's showing why he was sent to the USL wall.

Reactions: gbservis
Big kudos to Okoli. Next to Villa's magic, he absolutely was the catalyst that changed the game. RB didn't know how to mark him because one moment he's posting up in the middle and the next he was on the wing. Should have had a sweet assist on villa's shot that Robles somehow saved. He finally played up to his physique and bullied them each attack.

Second shout out to Maxi. They repeatedly abused him with very little punishment. He's learned from Villa how to post up on a defender - it was hilarious to watch him hold them back to receive the pass. And for being 5'3" he sure can be a target on outlet passes - it's like his foot has a magnet to take the ball out of the air.

Assists tonight went to Ring and Brillant. How bout them apples!

And if Villa doesn't win goal of the year for the second, the voters can all Fck off
That second goal was the equivalent of prime Jordan picking up the ball at the top of the key and refusing the idea he would be denied. One of the best I've ever seen, simply because it was pure desire and embodied a refusal to be beaten. Probably the best of his storied career, or at least way up there.

Disagree about Lewis. You underrated the importance of his pace and the corresponding threat.

And when you consider our other options, no, it is not possible to overstate how important Yangel is for us. Do you really think we even come close to winning that game with any of our options other than those two?

we wouldn't.

Yes I do. I don't think Herrera was a difference maker in the game. He's behind Villa, Johnson, Brillant, Callens, Ring, Maxi in that regard today.

Maybe I did underestimate Lewis cause Sweat didn't do him any favors. There's no fullback to winger play on that side anymore. No good passes or overlaps.

Four highlights:
All 3 goals from Villa
And that miserable horse's ass Jesse Marsch running into one of the goal support poles walking back (late) for the second half

I did NOT see this, but I would gladly buy that support pole a beer.

Need to see more Lewis. Biggest critique is he goes periods of the match where he is very quiet, and he should have gone down for the PK.

Going down in the box didn't help Jacky at all. Anyone think that should have been a penalty?
Didn't think we got outplayed, but we certainly didn't dominate the way we did in the first game at RBA.

Felt like Villa willed us to victory tonight. Started that second goal at the half line and just refused to be taken off the ball. So happy he finally got his hat-trick, and what a well deserved hat-trick it was. Add to that that he also blocked a probable goal, and I am just fucking amazed by this guy.

The reaction at the end of the game where Villa just full on lept into Vieira's arms...all the feels

Also worth noting, this felt like a game that the team was going to wilt. After BWP scored that second goal, it felt like the team deflated. Villa changed that.

Agree with all this. Villa willed us to this win, and that amazing, spectacular, jaw dropping, unfuckingbelievable run for the second goal was the best example of his will and determination carrying the team, turning the narrative around and crushing the enemy.