Las Vegas Out Of The Race To Be The 24th Mls Team

Can't say I'm particularly surprised its hardly a city that fits Garber's family entertainment (vomit) philosophies. Would have been a hell of a lot more interesting than other locations especially had it lived up to Vegas expectations for craziness. Seriously a club based in Vegas should strive to be as controversial as possible its the perfect place for that kind of edgier marketing. Feel its a wasted opportunity by MLS to finally establish a major sporting organisation in Sin City. Between LV and the other boring candidates I wouldn't have had any hesitation.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Considering their massive population, I don't see why not. If you were to overlay California over the northeast, you could probably squeeze about six teams within the same footprint. It's kind of unfair for supporter's of an expansion club in this region to question California.

It's not matter of population having to support a team but the west coast getting yet another team while the Mid-west is a touch undeserved at the present. Sacramento has done a stand up job so far and the fact that it doesn't have baseball team or (American) football team to compete with makes the city very attractive, I just think other places deserve a shot to get a team first.

Can't say I'm particularly surprised its hardly a city that fits Garber's family entertainment (vomit) philosophies. Would have been a hell of a lot more interesting than other locations especially had it lived up to Vegas expectations for craziness. Seriously a club based in Vegas should strive to be as controversial as possible its the perfect place for that kind of edgier marketing. Feel its a wasted opportunity by MLS to finally establish a major sporting organization in Sin City. Between LV and the other boring candidates I wouldn't have had any hesitation.

There is a reason why Leagues have been hesitant to give a franchise to Vegas, and that's because it's still an open question to whether it can actually support a franchise versus one off sporting events. As for a team being as controversial possible have you been paying attention to how leagues are run these days? They want as little controversy as possible, the family friendly philosophy has descended on most sports leagues these days.

There is a reason why Leagues have been hesitant to give a franchise to Vegas, and that's because it's still an open question to whether it can actually support a franchise versus one off sporting events. As for a team being as controversial possible have you been paying attention to how leagues are run these days? They want as little controversy as possible, the family friendly philosophy has descended on most sports leagues these days.

Exactly that's why I said "not particularly surprised" that Garber (if cancer couldn't dampen his apparent joy at being a corporate puppet nothing will) and the other suits have turned Vegas down. If Vegas couldn't be Vegas the other weaknesses in location become more relevant. I'm not the only one to see an alternative market to families (primarily young males) which is the short sighted, same old approach by MLS. I don't watch the "other football" but XFL had the concept and failed more due to quality of gameplay than anything else. MLS of course is still behind other leagues in that respect but improved gameplay and "edgier marketing" could be exactly what it needs.

Its really up to the fans to make that happen and it probably won't.

Orlando matches a lot of the same stats that Vegas has. I'm sure Green Bay would never match any criteria ever for the NFL.

I'm sad that Vegas won't get a team, but there is always the future. Maybe this will make future expansion bids go through the NASL or USL first.

Reactions: franchise646
Exactly that's why I said "not particularly surprised" that Garber (if cancer couldn't dampen his apparent joy at being a corporate puppet nothing will) and the other suits have turned Vegas down. If Vegas couldn't be Vegas the other weaknesses in location become more relevant. I'm not the only one to see an alternative market to families (primarily young males) which is the short sighted, same old approach by MLS. I don't watch the "other football" but XFL had the concept and failed more due to quality of gameplay than anything else. MLS of course is still behind other leagues in that respect but improved gameplay and "edgier marketing" could be exactly what it needs.

You kind of lost me with corporate puppet and other suits turning down Vegas.

Why isn't San Fran or Oakland being considered?
Was there a group in either SF or Oakland that put in a bid for an MLS franchise?

The 49ers went in with the Sacramento Republic bid so who knows if they'd want a SF team in their neck of the woods?

Last edited:
Can't say I'm particularly surprised its hardly a city that fits Garber's family entertainment (vomit) philosophies. Would have been a hell of a lot more interesting than other locations especially had it lived up to Vegas expectations for craziness. Seriously a club based in Vegas should strive to be as controversial as possible its the perfect place for that kind of edgier marketing. Feel its a wasted opportunity by MLS to finally establish a major sporting organisation in Sin City. Between LV and the other boring candidates I wouldn't have had any hesitation.

Garber doesn't have a family entertainment philosophy. Far from it. And it's not his call who the next team is.

The LV stadium proposal was going to a vote they were going to lose badly. The league gave the Findlay/Cordish a face-saving way out that also won't poison the territory for when Jason Ader makes his push for a Las Vegas team after 2016.

Speaking on a strictly planning viewpoint, Las Vegas will be a ghost city in 30 years if the water issues they are experiencing in that part of the country don't remedy themselves.

Lake Mead is losing water at an alarming rate. 80% of the cold weather vegetable crop comes from California and the whole region is dying of drought currently. They need water and they aren't getting it.

They built Las Vegas in the middle of nowhere. Without water, the city is going to die off sooner or later. The dynamics of the world around us are changing drastically, and although it may not seem like the case right now, Las Vegas is in a position where the future of the city on a whole doesn't look good at all.

But that has nothing to do with fans or football, which I believe the city lacks both in spades.

Besides, who has been to Las Vegas for more than 48 hours and hasn't at least one suicidal thought as a reasonable alternative to the Alaskan buffet menu they serve at the Wynn. Disgusting.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...ast-tracking-st-louis-rams-backed-nfl-stadium

It sounds like Los Angeles (or at least the area) is making a major push to snatch up the Rams.

If the Rams do move, that leaves St. Louis with only a MLB and NHL team. 21st TV market. Might be smart of MLS to start really pushing for investors there, although the Cardinals would make for stiff competition during the MLS season.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/...ast-tracking-st-louis-rams-backed-nfl-stadium

It sounds like Los Angeles (or at least the area) is making a major push to snatch up the Rams.

If the Rams do move, that leaves St. Louis with only a MLB and NHL team. 21st TV market. Might be smart of MLS to start really pushing for investors there, although the Cardinals would make for stiff competition during the MLS season.

The group trying to get MLS to go to St.Louis is part of the group try to be the Ram there. If they leave (and I think they are) so goes the group trying to fund the stadium there

The group trying to get MLS to go to St.Louis is part of the group try to be the Ram there. If they leave (and I think they are) so goes the group trying to fund the stadium there
I think its the city and state (StL MO) that are pushing for the stadium. Maybe they will build the stadium regardless if the Rams stay or go and hope that if the Rams leave they could entice the Chargers or Raiders to relocate.

I think its the city and state (StL MO) that are pushing for the stadium. Maybe they will build the stadium regardless if the Rams stay or go and hope that if the Rams leave they could entice the Chargers or Raiders to relocate.
Thing is the city and state aren't going to pass anything that need tax money. That is part of the reason the Rams want out. So STL isn't getting a new NFL team Unless it's 100% tax payer money which isn't happen.

Thing is the city and state aren't going to pass anything that need tax money. That is part of the reason the Rams want out. So STL isn't getting a new NFL team Unless it's 100% tax payer money which isn't happen.
The current plan on the table for the StL NFL stadium calls for tons of public money and have publicly asked MLS to get involved.

BTW What does this have to do with MLS in Vegas?

The current plan on the table for the StL NFL stadium calls for tons of public money and have publicly asked MLS to get involved.

BTW What does this have to do with MLS in Vegas?
It was an Off hand comment, so not really anything STL isn't really in play