Leagues Cup - August 17 - Columbus (Away)

Frustrating, but the guys came into a difficult place and defended well against a strong Crew side.

I do think Martins should have chosen the other side of the stadium for the penalties.

Additionally, it's very disappointing to see a small market team being more aggressive in their signings. We should have more attacking talent.

difference between owners who have only one team to worry about vs ones who don't.

good run by the boys. one more game than i thought we were going to have. not our best performance, but i think we definitely had a good chance to win in 90. best of all, it shows that we can go toe to toe vs the best in MLS, which gives me hope that we can make a solid run in the playoffs and have a chance at our second star.

now we rest and hope our injured guys can make a full recovery.

I’m not sure how much rest they get as their next game is in a week from now, home against Chicago.

I hope this tournament was good for cohesion because NYCFC certainly didn’t get any rest out of it.

Reactions: JayH and moogoo
I’m not sure how much rest they get as their next game is in a week from now, home against Chicago.

I hope this tournament was good for cohesion because NYCFC certainly didn’t get any rest out of it.

True. Wasn't realizing that it's only a week away.

Is there a worse spot to go out? Tired and banged up and nothing to show for it.

The only hope is that the cumulative fatigue and injuries (hopefully TG is ok) are somehow outweighed by some momentum, confidence, tactical lessons (Maxi + Santi works), chemistry, experience for CM, etc. That feels like a lot of rationalizing but we shall see.

I caught the first goal but little else. Stats say just six shots and 0.91 xG. Assuming the goal was at least 0.4-0.6 xG, am I right that we barely attacked after the first 20 seconds?
Maybe this was a very solid Columbus team just giving nothing but I was trying to be optimistic that Nick was moving away from the road defensiveness.
Also I’m in Michigan for the weekend and especially hate losing in Columbus.

Reactions: JayH
Is there a worse spot to go out? Tired and banged up and nothing to show for it.

The only hope is that the cumulative fatigue and injuries (hopefully TG is ok) are somehow outweighed by some momentum, confidence, tactical lessons (Maxi + Santi works), chemistry, experience for CM, etc. That feels like a lot of rationalizing but we shall see.
I’m mildly optimistic it’s a net positive. This squad has limited knockout experience. Good to have 3 PK shootouts as well.
Gray did seem to become a punching bag the last few games though.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
I caught the first goal but little else. Stats say just six shots and 0.91 xG. Assuming the goal was at least 0.4-0.6 xG, am I right that we barely attacked after the first 20 seconds?
Maybe this was a very solid Columbus team just giving nothing but I was trying to be optimistic that Nick was moving away from the road defensiveness.
Also I’m in Michigan for the weekend and especially hate losing in Columbus.

We were consistently able to break through the crew press and attack them.. but poor decisions or bad touches would ruin those attacks before we got any real chance at goal. Aside from the opening goal, we had two other very good chances to score in the first half. Less clear chances in the second, but we put up a pretty good fight and don't think we turtled at all.

Though I'm not sure why parks was subbed off.

We were consistently able to break through the crew press and attack them.. but poor decisions or bad touches would ruin those attacks before we got any real chance at goal. Aside from the opening goal, we had two other very good chances to score in the first half. Less clear chances in the second, but we put up a pretty good fight and don't think we turtled at all.

Though I'm not sure why parks was subbed off.

I agree, it didn't look like we turtled at all but we did get sloppy with the ball in the second half especially once Parks went off. Columbus is also excellent at controlling a game, amazing the impact Nagbe can have on a game even at 34.

I’ll make the opposite argument, they played well, became more cohesive against stronger opponents, shoot out practice, and won’t have any rust from a week off. Those who were bounced in the first round will be rusty

Reactions: JayH and moogoo
I’ll make the opposite argument, they played well, became more cohesive against stronger opponents, shoot out practice, and won’t have any rust from a week off. Those who were bounced in the first round will be rusty

We also got a good look at who Nick trusts in a must-win game. Hopefully, Jovan, Ojeda, and Fernandez use their lack of time in last night's game as motivation to keep working hard to get a spot in the rotation.

I do think the mileage could come back to bite us. We just put 3 full games on short rest on a 37-year-old Maxi. Risa, Gray, and Tana all seem to be carrying knocks. Santi was limping at the end of the game last night. It will be interesting to see how much rotation we see against Chicago next weekend.

I think the below is a much better summary of the game. We got an early goal and then were fortunate to hold on against an opponent who was dictating the game. And I think that says more about their quality than anything we were doing poorly. They held possession for long stretches and created some really good chances. We got some chances off the counter and when we broke their press. Mostly, however, their press really bothered us. We did have some nice spells of possession in their third, but nothing came of them.

1724069983373.png

Last edited:
I think the below is a much better summary of the game. We got an early goal and then were fortunate to hold on against an opponent who was dictating the game. And I think that says more about their quality than anything we were doing poorly. They held possession for long stretches and created some really good chances. We got some chances off the counter and when we broke their press. Mostly, however, their press really bothered us. We did have some nice spells of possession in their third, but nothing came of them.

View attachment 13474
Wow. This xG figure is just 0.47. We really generated nothing after the goal (notwithstanding I understand we had progressions that should have led to shots but did not).
I believe this analysis is prepared with ASA data, and their xG figures are much more reliable IMO than the new MLS system.

Wow. This xG figure is just 0.47. We really generated nothing after the goal (notwithstanding I understand we had progressions that should have led to shots but did not).
I believe this analysis is prepared with ASA data, and their xG figures are much more reliable IMO than the new MLS system.
If Maxi passes the ball to Martinez or McFarlane, I think that would add another 0.4 xG.