MLS - August 31 - Columbus (Away)

Agreed. We're not winning anything this year, but we're on a good path for 2025 and beyond.
We may surprise to the upside on the playoff run this year, though. I'm not ruling us out for going deep. We're making the kinds of mistakes all young clubs make, our individual development across the roster is uneven (as is usually the case with young teams as well), but on any given day we're a match for anyone.

A couple huge caveats: that won't be the case if Matty Ice is out for any length of time. Huicho isn't the kind of shot stopper who can backstop a high line and handle it when the opponent counters and crashes the box, and the other keepers are untested. And we'll also struggle should (God forbid) Santi pick up a knock and miss any time.

But if we're healthy and have a full roster -- another caveat: we miss Malachi -- and we play like we have against Columbus the last two tilts, and against Tigres, we have the potential to be big trouble for anyone.

Reactions: Revfugee and Sabo
Good analysis all around. But in my view, I'm glad we didn't just bunker up and absorb pressure and try and escape with the points. Playing through to the final whistle on the front foot -- again -- shows me the training wheels are well and truly off and we're out to contend with the big boys.

We're still young and we're not quite all the way there. I'm not sure what to expect the rest of the way this campaign. But the way it's unfolding, I'm feeling really really good about the path we're on.

Agreed. Working the officials is part of the deal, but you can't let the officiating get up in your head. Focus on your opponent. When you get done dirty, shoot the ref a dirty look and get back to business.

Haak did that a couple times, by the way: shot Unkel a "wtf, dude" look and then locked right back in. He's really coming on now. He was an outright beast again last night.
I didn’t mean to imply that we could or should ever bunker. My issue is that our subs like Julian and Bakrar and Mitja (thank goodness Nick didn’t/couldn’t put HIM in) can’t establish enough control that we can kill a game by keeping the opponent on the defensive. Which we must be able to do, especially if Barrazza is between the sticks and our 18 year old wunderkind (I call him that without irony) gets caught ball watching.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Apple didn't even acknowledge the red card to Julian Fernandez on the score bug until after Columbus scored their 4th goal.

Really a shit-show all around between the commentators not even discussing the poor positioning / pick by Ted Unkel, Ted Unkel himself, and us not being able to close out a match.

Stat quirk - Fernandez got a red card in added time and so was credited with a full 17 minutes, having entered a '73 for Wolf. So the the club total game minutes is 990 even though we had a man sent off with 7 minutes of play remaining.

I don't think Unkel did anything wrong on the interference. He was in the corner of the box with the ball near the end line and about 13 players in front of him. Then the ball was sent towards him, so he moves back away from the ball and the half dozen players now coming towards him. He cannot look back and take his eyes off active play to check if there is someone crossing behind him. If he were further out so Fernandez would have been in front of him, he's taken himself too far from the action. Seems rather textbook to me.

Stat quirk - Fernandez got a red card in added time and so was credited with a full 17 minutes, having entered a '73 for Wolf. So the the club total game minutes is 990 even though we had a man sent off with 7 minutes of play remaining.

I don't think Unkel did anything wrong on the interference. He was in the corner of the box with the ball near the end line and about 13 players in front of him. Then the ball was sent towards him, so he moves back away from the ball and the half dozen players now coming towards him. He cannot look back and take his eyes off active play to check if there is someone crossing behind him. If he were further out so Fernandez would have been in front of him, he's taken himself too far from the action. Seems rather textbook to me.
If he hit a player, he can blow the whistle and stop play. Water under the bridge, but I am not sure it was quite textbook.

If he hit a player, he can blow the whistle and stop play.
Only if the player is injured. There is nothing in the Laws that says officials may stop play for non-injury interference with players.
Water under the bridge, but I am not sure it was quite textbook.

How would you suggest he should have positioned himself?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene and moogoo
There have been many times when players run into refs and nothing is ever called or done. It's not the ref's responsibility to not interfere. Players use the ref's position to their advantage all the time. It's unlucky but that's all it is. Nothing wrong by the laws of the game.

I thought we played pretty well. Bakrar getting a goal was nice to see. His pressing was aggressive and caused problems.

Our defense often kinda just collapses at times. Not sure what that is but I think the change in keeper and losing sands were a big part of that. In addition, some mental and physical fatigue against fresh Columbus attackers.

It sucks to lose in that way. We are one of a few teams that can play the crew on equal footing. The only difference is the crew never stop going and no matter who they put in the field, they all execute the same way. We need more quality depth in all positions. I don't think Nick is the right guy to make us a dominating championship challenging team year after year, but i wouldn't know who else to hire that would be better.

The playoffs will be interesting. I didn't think we would do much in leagues cup but we went a game further than I thought we would against a very good tigres side. This team can beat anybody on the day. It just comes down to whether or not everyone is healthy and mentally focused for the 90 minutes. I am still hopeful we can make a decent run in the playoffs.

There have been many times when players run into refs and nothing is ever called or done. It's not the ref's responsibility to not interfere. Players use the ref's position to their advantage all the time. It's unlucky but that's all it is. Nothing wrong by the laws of the game.

I thought we played pretty well. Bakrar getting a goal was nice to see. His pressing was aggressive and caused problems.

Our defense often kinda just collapses at times. Not sure what that is but I think the change in keeper and losing sands were a big part of that. In addition, some mental and physical fatigue against fresh Columbus attackers.

It sucks to lose in that way. We are one of a few teams that can play the crew on equal footing. The only difference is the crew never stop going and no matter who they put in the field, they all execute the same way. We need more quality depth in all positions. I don't think Nick is the right guy to make us a dominating championship challenging team year after year, but i wouldn't know who else to hire that would be better.

The playoffs will be interesting. I didn't think we would do much in leagues cup but we went a game further than I thought we would against a very good tigres side. This team can beat anybody on the day. It just comes down to whether or not everyone is healthy and mentally focused for the 90 minutes. I am still hopeful we can make a decent run in the playoffs.
You're channeling Paul Harvey and I think you're both right. He adds the point (which maybe you implied) that a difference between the Crew and NYCFC is the number of players making runs to support dangerous moments.

We may surprise to the upside on the playoff run this year, though. I'm not ruling us out for going deep. We're making the kinds of mistakes all young clubs make, our individual development across the roster is uneven (as is usually the case with young teams as well), but on any given day we're a match for anyone.

A couple huge caveats: that won't be the case if Matty Ice is out for any length of time. Huicho isn't the kind of shot stopper who can backstop a high line and handle it when the opponent counters and crashes the box, and the other keepers are untested. And we'll also struggle should (God forbid) Santi pick up a knock and miss any time.

But if we're healthy and have a full roster -- another caveat: we miss Malachi -- and we play like we have against Columbus the last two tilts, and against Tigres, we have the potential to be big trouble for anyone.

I agree with this. My hope is for the team to win the first round series. After that, we'll probably play Columbus, Miami, or Cincy away in the conference semifinals, and that's likely where the party ends. No shame in losing to those 3 teams. If we face anyone else in the conference semifinals, I want to see us win. I firmly believe we are the 4th best team in the East this season, and if we finish 4th or 5th, I believe we will face a team worse than us in the first round.

Is there a chance we go on a run in November? Yes -- it happens in every sport. But for me a successful season is getting out of that first round.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I agree with this. My hope is for the team to win the first round series. After that, we'll probably play Columbus, Miami, or Cincy away in the conference semifinals, and that's likely where the party ends. No shame in losing to those 3 teams. If we face anyone else in the conference semifinals, I want to see us win. I firmly believe we are the 4th best team in the East this season, and if we finish 4th or 5th, I believe we will face a team worse than us in the first round.

Is there a chance we go on a run in November? Yes -- it happens in every sport. But for me a successful season is getting out of that first round.
There’s quite a reasonable chance that 4/5 ends up being RBNJ vs NYCFC.

There’s quite a reasonable chance that 4/5 ends up being RBNJ vs NYCFC.
Well, the 4 seed gets two possible home matches. Our record at RBA hasn’t been good. A tie takes it to PKs. There hasn’t been a Hudson River Derby playoff match. And I’m sure MLS would love it to be a series than a one off knockoff for the added ticket sales.

We should, with one gigantic if -- if Matt Freese is okay, we'll be okay. If he's out, the road gets much, much rougher.

Yeah, I would go even further and say we slight favorites if and only if all of our normal starters are healthy. Freese is the most immediate concern but in a must-win big-time game Santi, Parks, Sands, Martins, Wolf, Martinez, and Maxi are all about as irreplaceable as Freese given the current state of our roster.

If we host a 4-5 playoff match against the Red Bulls, where would we host?

This is our 10th season. In the 9 seasons before that, we haven't faced them in the playoffs despite there having been 7 seasons when we were both in the playoffs. I don't know what the odds are that we are 0-for-7, but it can't be that high.

Reactions: mgarbowski

This is our 10th season. In the 9 seasons before that, we haven't faced them in the playoffs despite there having been 7 seasons when we were both in the playoffs. I don't know what the odds are that we are 0-for-7, but it can't be that high.
If Yankee Stadium and Citi Field isn’t available, I suppose all the games would be in Red Bull Stadium…

It'll be at Citi Field since Mets aren't making playoffs. Could be Yankee Stadium if Yankees aren't in ALCS.

• Wow
Reactions: Shwafta
It'll be at Citi Field since Mets aren't making playoffs. Could be Yankee Stadium if Yankees aren't in ALCS.
Can't rule the Mets out yet. They're in a virtual tie for the third wild card spot and playing well lately. Still a few weeks left in the season and they're in contention.