Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
New York City FC vs. Atlas FC
Sunday, July 23 7:30 PM ET
Citi Field
Apple TV (Free), FS1, UniMas

General consensus seems to be that we will tank this tournament. But is that based on any thing real or is it just fan fiction?

General consensus seems to be that we will tank this tournament. But is that based on any thing real or is it just fan fiction?
I’m not uncertain the coaching staff has a similar viewpoint

Reactions: Kenny
What if we beat both Atlas and Toronto (not farfetched)? Then what?

What if we beat both Atlas and Toronto (not farfetched)? Then what?

i'd be surprised if we did.

we don't even know what cushing is doing with the squad right now. talles is on the outs for some reason.. gabby as well? just doesn't feel like we have a united squad ready to really go after a trophy. both physically and mentally.

i'd be surprised if we did.

we don't even know what cushing is doing with the squad right now. talles is on the outs for some reason.. gabby as well? just doesn't feel like we have a united squad ready to really go after a trophy. both physically and mentally.

Let's be honest. This team isn't winning a trophy. Let's hope we can get 4 points in the group stage, get a good draw for the Round of 32, and maybe make it to the Round of 16. That would be a success in this tournament. Then we get a couple weeks to train before making this 10-game playoff chase.

Hopefully the Bakrar, Riso, and whatever other signings we make help. This team was left to flounder by the front office for the first 24 games. Hopefully they do right by the players and coach and make the squad representative for the final push.

I've seen a lot of blaming Nick Cushing for the mess we find ourselves in. He simply hasn't had the roster to succeed so far this season. This is not his fault.

Reactions: Vallos
Let's be honest. This team isn't winning a trophy. Let's hope we can get 4 points in the group stage, get a good draw for the Round of 32, and maybe make it to the Round of 16. That would be a success in this tournament. Then we get a couple weeks to train before making this 10-game playoff chase.

Hopefully the Bakrar, Riso, and whatever other signings we make help. This team was left to flounder by the front office for the first 24 games. Hopefully they do right by the players and coach and make the squad representative for the final push.

I've seen a lot of blaming Nick Cushing for the mess we find ourselves in. He simply hasn't had the roster to succeed so far this season. This is not his fault.

Not putting the best players on the pitch is his fault. Gabby is a difference maker. Unless he's injured or super tired.. he needs to start.

Not putting the best players on the pitch is his fault. Gabby is a difference maker. Unless he's injured or super tired.. he needs to start.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that with the fixture congestion he was trying to give Gaby the day off. We've played a lot of games in the last few weeks. Even though we didn't play midweek, Gabi has a lot of miles in his legs lately.

1. Tanking implies a plan. I'm not confident the team that let Taty, Heber and Thiago go without a replacement for 24 games is capable of planning.
  2. OTOH, they did acquire a young striker of middling-at-best talent whose only purpose would be to fill in as necessary and then they did not use him while there was a gaping hole in the roster and it's a near certainty he will be used less in the future. So maybe they are capable of dumb plans.
  3. Tanking is dumb IMO. Everything is dependent on new players coming in and having immediate effect over the final 10 games. You need to learn to play together against competition. League Cup games can help accomplish that.
  4. So, they're probably tanking.
  5. On the gripping hand, how would we know?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that with the fixture congestion he was trying to give Gaby the day off. We've played a lot of games in the last few weeks. Even though we didn't play midweek, Gabi has a lot of miles in his legs lately.

gabby came into the team late. he has not started every game. i'm pretty sure he would have easily played last night. something else is going on but if you want to believe nick is just rotating then ok. it's plausible that's all it is... but if rotation is so important, why didn't parks get any of that love yet?

gabby came into the team late. he has not started every game. i'm pretty sure he would have easily played last night. something else is going on but if you want to believe nick is just rotating then ok. it's plausible that's all it is... but if rotation is so important, why didn't parks get any of that love yet?

Because there was no one else of quality to take that spot. Sands was out and Haak was playing CB.

Anyone going to this game? It's on my birthday and I'm thinking about it... maybe a stop-off along the 7 train for a yummy late lunch/snack... but wondering what kind of crowd to expect and where to sit...

Reactions: moogoo and Gene
Anyone going to this game? It's on my birthday and I'm thinking about it... maybe a stop-off along the 7 train for a yummy late lunch/snack... but wondering what kind of crowd to expect and where to sit...
I think with the Mexican support, it will be a big, fun crowd. Believe I saw somewhere that they had opened up the upper deck. Leaving aside the merits of the tournament, I am just looking forward to watching some live soccer before the crazy break.

Should be a good crowd as with any of the Liga mx involved games. Most likely won't feel like a home game atmosphere wise.

Makes me wonder how things will be in our own stadium?

Believe I saw somewhere that they had opened up the upper deck.
I was about to say the same, but I first went over to Ticketmaster to do a doublecheck.

Well I don't know what's going on, but they do have 3 sections opened up in the 400 level. The face value for these tickets is $10,201.05 each (face, not resale). Do these seats come with a hooker and a six pack?

I'm going and did a ticket exchange to get an extra for my daughter, not because I care at all about this game or tournament but because it's pretty much the only game she can make while home for the summer. I can add that there were extremely few tickets available on the exchange, and when I looked at regular Ticketmaster just for curiosity there was additional availability, but the regular sections seemed mostly full-ish and a small number of upper deck sections seem to be open.
I agree with Jay that the Atlas fans will add to the atmosphere. I very much enjoyed the Campeones Cup crowd last year, which was also when the club started doing announcements in 2 languages.

Happy Birthday!

ETA: I did not look as closely as Gene did to see the pricing on those upper deck seats!

Last edited:
Should be a good crowd as with any of the Liga mx involved games. Most likely won't feel like a home game atmosphere wise.

Makes me wonder how things will be in our own stadium?
If the consensus expectation is correct and STHs make up a much higher percentage of available seats, that effect should be limited. The LigaMX fans can buy all the empties, and maybe bid up resale to a point where the STHs will sell, but that also depends I guess on how much NYCFC fans take to the Leagues Cup. My read of various sites - here Twitter, reddit, chant - is that there are certainly some excited fans, but a good portion are dubious or disinterested. To be fair, part of that is likely a side-effect of the team being terrible. If folks thought we had a non-longshot chance to win, I expect others would get excited.
Just not me. In case I forgot to mention it recently I HATE LEAGUES CUP.

Reactions: moogoo
If the consensus expectation is correct and STHs make up a much higher percentage of available seats, that effect should be limited. The LigaMX fans can buy all the empties, and maybe bid up resale to a point where the STHs will sell, but that also depends I guess on how much NYCFC fans take to the Leagues Cup. My read of various sites - here Twitter, reddit, chant - is that there are certainly some excited fans, but a good portion are dubious or disinterested. To be fair, part of that is likely a side-effect of the team being terrible. If folks thought we had a non-longshot chance to win, I expect others would get excited.
Just not me. In case I forgot to mention it recently I HATE LEAGUES CUP.
Yeah, if we were a better team I’d be more excited for the competition and a chance for a trophy. Mostly excited for a different and fun atmosphere like the Campeones Cup last year. Plus as a STH didn’t have to pay for this match. A bit disappointed we will be playing the same Liga MX side, but will be a fun night out regardless!

Looking past our team, no stadium and playing at RBA, I’m excited for a World Cup style tournament between these two leagues. The MLS is back tournament was a lot of fun and this will only have a better atmosphere and competition. Will always be a cop out that all games are played in the US, but Liga MX fans will surely be heard in every stadium.

Side note: this competition is really coming at a great time for this team. Get the new acquisitions acclimated. Its essentially a glorified preseason.