Leagues Cup - July 23 - Atlas (Home)

Side note: this competition is really coming at a great time for this team. Get the new acquisitions acclimated. Its essentially a glorified preseason.
It's cool that you like the tournament idea but I need to quibblle with this part. Our new guys aren't even here yet. It's almost certain they don't play Sunday and iffy for next Wednesday, especially as more than late game subs. We have zero tournament games guaranteed after that and 1 win in the last 16 games including USOC. And our hoped-for better striker will arrive even later. It's not impossible this tournament gives the team a chance to acclimate new guys in real competition, but I'm not counting on it.
And without the tournament, the early season would have been less cluttered, we probably would have played 4-6 fewer games when the summer window opened (consistent with all prior non-Covid schedules), and then would have had normal guaranteed weekly games to gel.

What's this? A STH thing?
Yes. You can return any game ticket for credit up to a max of 4?, maybe 6? I forget. You also can exchange tickets for the same game which does not count against that 4-6 game cap. Early in the season I traded in 2 games and had credit in my account. I then exchanged my ticket for Sunday and got 2 tickets together in a more expensive section, while paying a net of $2. Credits expire each year.

I am leaning against going on Sunday. I am not enthusiastic about the team or event, but it is at Citi Field, and I like games there. I am also driving 11 hours round trip to pick up Gotham, Jr. from camp the day before, so I need to factor in some fatigue.

Yes. You can return any game ticket for credit up to a max of 4?, maybe 6? I forget. You also can exchange tickets for the same game which does not count against that 4-6 game cap. Early in the season I traded in 2 games and had credit in my account. I then exchanged my ticket for Sunday and got 2 tickets together in a more expensive section, while paying a net of $2. Credits expire each year.
Gotcha, thanks. Yes I remember the rep explaining this to me. Thinking about getting STs for next season.... IF the club can get its shit together. And if
I can't finagle them through work, haha

Reactions: mgarbowski
It's cool that you like the tournament idea but I need to quibblle with this part. Our new guys aren't even here yet. It's almost certain they don't play Sunday and iffy for next Wednesday, especially as more than late game subs. We have zero tournament games guaranteed after that and 1 win in the last 16 games including USOC. And our hoped-for better striker will arrive even later. It's not impossible this tournament gives the team a chance to acclimate new guys in real competition, but I'm not counting on it.
And without the tournament, the early season would have been less cluttered, we probably would have played 4-6 fewer games when the summer window opened (consistent with all prior non-Covid schedules), and then would have had normal guaranteed weekly games to gel.
Fair enough. I do believe we scrape through to the knockout stage. Our group isn’t exactly the best and we will be local for all our matches which is an added benefit. Even if we don’t advance or lose in the first round of the knockout stages that still gives the team 2-3 weeks to let the new acquisitions train and build some form of chemistry in practice. If we get knocked out in the group stage I’m sure they’d have some sort of scrimmage at some point due to the long layoff.

If we had those extra 4-6 games how much would the new players have truly helped being they are not acclimated? Realistically how many minutes would they get? After the Leagues Cup they will have to be going a full 90, no? Also, if we had signed them at this point during a regular mls season with no leagues cup, we’d still be waiting for their work visas. That’s another week or two at minimum we are waiting. So it’s not really an extra 4-6 games, it’s more like 2-4 games in a typical mls season.

Personally I feel this break will be a good time for the team to get their heads straight, acclimate new players to a new country all the while while building chemistry. It’s not like this team has any momentum at the moment.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
I've been pretty much on the fence about going to this one. I have two tickets in 336 row 10 though if anyone wants them. Will not be charging $10,000, either.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene and mgarbowski
I'll be there. As always, can't wait. Because, you know, masochism, lack of taste or discrimination.
Yeah, at this point I don't know what else to do with my time. And I've already paid for the tickets and there's no way in hell I'm getting my money back in the resale market.

Reactions: FootyLovin

Fans in Mexico are none too happy about zero home games for 5 weeks.
This is partly a make-up for that and partly being a good host to LMX fans here in the US attending games.
We pretty much did this for Campeones Cup last year and it was fine.
OTOH I see a difference between a one off and fake forced atmosphere rules for 5 weeks.
How TF do you enforce "general enthusiasm will support both squads?" In some games I bet the LMX fans will be louder, others the reverse. What happens happens in that regard.

Reactions: Shwafta
Game Day Weather and Transit Report™

Weather for this not-really-a-home-game will be mostly clear skies with temps in the mid- to low-80s, with feels-likes in the upper- to mid-80s. Atmosphere might be a little cold though due to “even-handed” stadium rules today.

7 trains running normally outbound, running express to 74th Street inbound.