Leagues Cup - July 28 - Querétaro (Home - YS)

Is anyone skipping this one? Either out of principle or lack of interest?
I traded in my tickets months ago. I've been against Leagues Cup since the current format was announced. Last year I went to the first game because I figured I should go at least once, plus it was in Queens. But mostly it's lack of interest.

I don't much care about inter-league competitions.
I hate the distortion to the MLS league schedule.
I don't care at all about this trophy.
I don't care about any of the Mexican teams, except CA fans always seem to be assholes so eff 'em. And I really don't need extra games against Toronto, RB and Cincy that don't even count.*
I have zero interest in Liga MX, especially not enough to have 3 competitions every year between the 2 leagues. I get it. Garber and the owners want to get money and eyes from Mexican American fans, apparently more than any other ethic group in the country, including seemingly all other Latin American fans combined. Whatever. I'm bored.

* I just said I don't care about this trophy. Don't explain to me these games actually count. Maybe to you. Not to me.

Is anyone skipping this one? Either out of principle or lack of interest?

I am going. I put the Leagues Cup pretty far down the list of competitions I’d like to see us win. Still, I want us to do well and advance. I like it when my team does well.

This is an important game. I think we need a win in penalties at minimum. Next game is at Cincinnati, which is a tough assignment.

I don't particularly care about this tournament, but I think it's fun to face a new team and I'll go and enjoy being at a game. If I didn't attend this game, I'd go over two months between games.

I’ll be there. I love inter-league and international club competitions. I’ve enjoyed learning more about the Mexican clubs, and I’ve gotten more into watching Liga MX (among other things it’s a nice late night option). I understand the cynicism (money grab, calendar congestion etc) and to some extent I agree but at the same time we are still a young league and in a confederation always trying to find itself. In the end it’s New York City in a competitive tournament with a trophy at stake. The games have been fun. I always enjoy going to our games. I’ll be there.

(I opted out, due to all the unknowns, but if we advance I’ll probably keep attending)

ETA: I also agree with 4 413Blue that my one major complaint is that the Mexican clubs don’t get home games, (although the big clubs kinda do, from what I’ve seen) and also the format is weird, three team groups etc.

Gameday Weather and Transit Report, brought to you by Some Random Competition™

Weather: Nice!
Cloudy with feels-like temps in the upper to mid 70s. Very slight chance of showers. Sunset at 8:16pm.

Transit: Nice!
Service mostly normal, only (minor) exception is the D train running local in both directions between 59th Street and 145th Street.

According to Glenn Crooks, Joe Tolleson will be doing the radio broadcast for the NYCFC game tonight. Not sure if the Apple TV broadcast will give us the option for the home town audio.

• Love
Reactions: Shwafta
According to Glenn Crooks, Joe Tolleson will be doing the radio broadcast for the NYCFC game tonight. Not sure if the Apple TV broadcast will give us the option for the home town audio.
It's not an MLS match, so no Apple TV. It's on FS1, right after pickleball.

Felt like one of those games from early in the season when we just couldn't finish. Frustrating game -- we should have smashed that team.

One thing I didn't understand was why the opposing team's supporters' section was in sections 110 and 109. Why aren't they in the 200s where they usually are? It definitely created some issues down there late in the game, though the security staff in the area were very much prepared for it and did a great job getting ahead of any potential issues. But very annoying to have them sitting in the row behind me.

At least we got the 2nd point -- as long as FC Cincinnati beat Queretaro in regulation, which they should, we advance no matter what happens to us in Cincinnati. That's important to me because I don't want the team to have 3 weeks off before resuming MLS play. Get at least into the Round of 32 so we don't have to deal with the massive break.

Small crowd (smallest of the season, I think), but still a fun atmosphere and a fun night.

watched on replay. was surprised to see the heavily rotated starting xi, which was completely opposite what some folks (including myself) thought cushing should/would do. guess he's thinking a rotated squad should be sufficient to beat a weak queretaro side and i think he was correct. we were unlucky not to get at least a goal during regulation with as much as we dominated the game, but we simply didn't finish the few decent chances we created despite the dominance.

queretaro were tough to break down in the low block. maxi was visibly frustrated with lack of movement and kept playing to magno, who was the only person who seemed to "get it" in the attack. Haak was decent but lost the ball cheaply too often for my liking and didn't make the best decisions.

martinez was a breath of fresh air and it was nice to see jovan absolutely DRILL his penalty where, as they say, my grandma hangs her clothes.

Very happy to see Maxi get a full 90 and didn't see him slow down one bit. Sands held that defensive midfield together tonight.

McFarlane could have been better but he played well considering age and experience.

Here's hoping we go to cinci and get a win.

Can I also ask one more question?

Why the hell was Birk Risa taking free kicks when Maxi was also standing over them? Were we trying to surprise them? Maxi needs to be taking those attacking free kicks.

It was a Costa Rican refereeing crew. They let a lot on fouls uncalled and let them just play. But it was a weird flow to the game at times.

Yeah I mean Queretaro reminded me of the Red Bulls the way they foul at will. It's hard for the best refereeing crew to call everything when a team fouls with such reckless abandon. I thought for the most part the refereeing was fine, if maybe a little inconsistent at times. Certainly not the reason we were held scoreless through the 90.