Leagues Cup - July 28 - Querétaro (Home - YS)

what i found interesting was the VAR for leagues cup was able to draw lines for the offsides call decision, but i've never seen them draw for MLS VAR. not sure why?

I understand that drawing the lines by the ref is also a bit subjective, but i thought it at least gave a visual indicator of what the ref is basing the decision on instead of everyone just wondering and arguing that the ref is wrong.

i really like the semi-automated offsides being used in europe and i really hope MLS can get there sooner rather than later.

I actually really don't like automated offsides. I think it calls too many plays offside, even when they're extremely marginal. I don't want an offside call because a kneecap is adjudged to be over the line.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I actually really don't like automated offsides. I think it calls too many plays offside, even when they're extremely marginal. I don't want an offside call because a kneecap is adjudged to be over the line.

as you said before, you're either offsides or not. i agree taking back a goal for a toe nail sucks, but there's really no way to enforce this rule without some kind of hard line. it is what it is. attackers just need to time their runs better or they'll have to go back to making it completely human adjudged by the linesmen. personally, i prefer the lack of controversy much like goal line technology where some goals were not given because there was still 2mm of the ball not over the line. people have accepted that, so why not the same with automated offsides?

The penalty was impressive and the bicycle kick attempt was bold but aside from that Jovan was terrible. He played 31 min and didn't have a single shot on goal. In fact, according to MLSsoccer.com Jovan has played 443 min across last night, two open cup games, and his regular season appearances and he has yet to record a shot on goal (I'm not 100% sure the Open cup stats are accurate but still). He's taken 7 shots total all of which have missed. We have pages of complaints about Bakrars lack of finishing, Jovan is a ST that doesn't even get into shooting positions.

Jovan came on and added nothing offensively and was his usual lazy self in the press. At one point around the 90th min 37-year-old Maxi who had played the entire game ran from 20 yards behind Jovan to help Ojeda with the press while Jovan walked around as usual and did nothing. His presence last night displaced Martinez from the striker position and was a total waste. I have no idea why the majority of the fan base gives this guy a pass but he's done nothing to justify being on the field. They need to send him to NYCFC II because he's nowhere near ready to make a meaningful contribution for the first team.

I will say, after having the refs announce VAR calls in MLS, it's been so weird going back yesterday to the ref just holding the hand up for offside. Would have been nice to hear "After review, a player was deemed to be offside earlier in the play, no penalty" or something similar.

as you said before, you're either offsides or not. i agree taking back a goal for a toe nail sucks, but there's really no way to enforce this rule without some kind of hard line. it is what it is. attackers just need to time their runs better or they'll have to go back to making it completely human adjudged by the linesmen. personally, i prefer the lack of controversy much like goal line technology where some goals were not given because there was still 2mm of the ball not over the line. people have accepted that, so why not the same with automated offsides?

I think we take too many goals off the board for marginal offside calls. Either you're offside or you're not, but if you can't tell with the naked eye without drawing lines or using automated offside rulings, then I think he should be onside. I'm perfectly OK with guys being "level" allowing goals to stand. I think when guys are level with the defender, automated offside almost always rule them off. I'm OK with those moments sticking as goals.

Reactions: Gene and gbservis
I think we take too many goals off the board for marginal offside calls. Either you're offside or you're not, but if you can't tell with the naked eye without drawing lines or using automated offside rulings, then I think he should be onside. I'm perfectly OK with guys being "level" allowing goals to stand. I think when guys are level with the defender, automated offside almost always rule them off. I'm OK with those moments sticking as goals.

You can't have it both ways. Either you want human judgement or you don't. I'm ok with either but when it's automated, no one really complains about the call being wrong.. just that it's unlucky.

In any case, we won't have automated in MLS for awhile.

Reactions: FootyLovin
You can't have it both ways. Either you want human judgement or you don't. I'm ok with either but when it's automated, no one really complains about the call being wrong.. just that it's unlucky.

In any case, we won't have automated in MLS for awhile.

Sure -- and I'm OK with that. If you can't tell with the naked eye, then the call should be onside. I really think offside VAR calls are reaching a poor place with this automated offside technology. It's not the spirit of the game to have a guy called offside because the tip of his arm was in front of his body.

And if we're going to call something that way, I think the rule should be changed that it's adjudged by where your feet are. Leaning forward shouldn't cause an offside. But I realize I'm in the minority on that opinion LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: moogoo
In my opinion it’s not really a subjective call if the proper technology is used. I personally think we were hard done by the Bakrar call. The AR didn’t call it during the game, it took quite a few minutes to get an answer, and if you look at the replay, the angle that was used was horrible and in no way could help make a reasonable call. Let alone show a clear and obvious error. I don’t think it’s against the spirit of the game to get the calls right. If you are riding the offsides line then the offensive players have to adjust to make sure they are onside. I don’t think it’s much different from the get off the field in a timely manner substitutions. Players just have to adjust

Reactions: moogoo
To me, the two upsides of automated offsides are that it's fast and it takes away responsibility from the refs so they can focus on the other subjective calls that only they can make. As much as we complain about calls it's not an easy job. Automate offsides, out-of-bounds and goal line calls, then let the officiating crews focus more attention on figuring out what's a foul and whats a flop and all the other challenging subjective calls they have to make.

Sure -- and I'm OK with that. If you can't tell with the naked eye, then the call should be onside. I really think offside VAR calls are reaching a poor place with this automated offside technology. It's not the spirit of the game to have a guy called offside because the tip of his arm was in front of his body.

And if we're going to call something that way, I think the rule should be changed that it's adjudged by where your feet are. Leaning forward shouldn't cause an offside. But I realize I'm in the minority on that opinion LOL.
It actually sounds like you aren't saying you don't like automation. Rather, you don't like the rule of where the line is drawn. But even then you seem to be saying wherever the line gets drawn, you hope the refs don't actually call it that way but rather give a few extra inches to the offensive player. Personally, I hate that kind of rule creep.

I don't care where they decide to draw the lines. I know they are considering rule changes to say that any part of an offensive player that is behind the defensive player means onside. Fine with me. But whatever the rule is, I want them to call it according to that rule. And if technology can make it precise and decisive, count me in.

It actually sounds like you aren't saying you don't like automation. Rather, you don't like the rule of where the line is drawn. But even then you seem to be saying wherever the line gets drawn, you hope the refs don't actually call it that way but rather give a few extra inches to the offensive player. Personally, I hate that kind of rule creep.

I don't care where they decide to draw the lines. I know they are considering rule changes to say that any part of an offensive player that is behind the defensive player means onside. Fine with me. But whatever the rule is, I want them to call it according to that rule. And if technology can make it precise and decisive, count me in.
I want the rule to be “a clear and obvious offside” rather than a clear and obvious error that you need scientific instrumentation to determine. If the linesman judges you offside the flag goes up, end of discussion, no VAR review. I’d rather have a few wrong calls than to have to wait for a three minute review only to find out a shoelace was in front of someone else’s toenail.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and Gene
I want the rule to be “a clear and obvious offside” rather than a clear and obvious error that you need scientific instrumentation to determine. If the linesman judges you offside the flag goes up, end of discussion, no VAR review. I’d rather have a few wrong calls than to have to wait for a three minute review only to find out a shoelace was in front of someone else’s toenail.
One thing about offsides technology is that I would imagine it will continue to improve over time and an offside decision is one that can be made accurately, via technology, almost instantaneously.