Liverpool Could Be The Next Super Power

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I say this because of what they're currently holding onto.
You have a great starting 11, with the only question marks in the defense.
However, you have Suarez who has been the top scorer in the BPL this year despite missing games. Also finished second last year. It's been obvious to see that Liverpool is getting better under Rodgers. Whose behind Suarez? His companion Sturridge.
I think if Liverpool sell Suarez accompanied with Top finish $$ they can buy some solid players to accompany the talent they currently have at their disposal.
They would clearly have to do a better job buying then Tottenham have. However, their owners have already shown they're not shy to spend money.
What do you guys think?

Reactions: Coop
Liverpool does not have the depth to be a super power. They are good enough to win the league in a year they are not playing in Europe and bowed out early of both cups. With the focus on Champions League that is bound to come next year, they will struggle to fight the war on both fronts. Maybe one day, but one good season does not a superpower make. If any EPL team is poised to become a superpower, it is Chelsea.

Reactions: grandsolo
Liverpool does not have the depth to be a super power. They are good enough to win the league in a year they are not playing in Europe and bowed out early of both cups. With the focus on Champions League that is bound to come next year, they will struggle to fight the war on both fronts. Maybe one day, but one good season does not a superpower make. If any EPL team is poised to become a superpower, it is Chelsea.
I agree, that's not what I wrote at all.
IF they sell Suarez they could use proceeds to fill their gaps and get depth. That's what I was referring to. Not their current team but the possibilities of what could become of them by selling Suarez.

Liverpool are going to really struggle with CL football next season - they're only likely to be in Pot 3, too, so expect a Group Of Death the same as City have had to deal with for the last 3 seasons. Let's not forget that Liverpool were a very strong PL team for years, and came very close to winning the title under Rafa, playing good football. Did they build on it? No, they stagnated for a number of years and then had one bad season which turned into 3 or 4 years outside of the CL, which is exactly what Arsenal and United may now face. Liverpool have a good chance of getting back into the CL again. Maybe even win the league again. But I'm not sure I can see them turning into a Barca/Real-style superpower who sweep the league every season.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I agree, that's not what I wrote at all.
IF they sell Suarez they could use proceeds to fill their gaps and get depth. That's what I was referring to. Not their current team but the possibilities of what could become of them by selling Suarez.
Selling Suarez to build depth would no help them become a superpower at all. They are a good side but without him, they are not this high up the table. Replacing him with a bunch of quality players does not change that. Superpowers need elite players and depth, not just one or the other.

If any EPL team is poised to become a superpower, it is Man City...
I think for Man City (being a big fan) they are in need of something else. They've been missing a spark all year. Even with Aguero playing they seem to be too timid about shooting the ball. They want to almost dribble the ball in the net. Very nerve wracking watching at times. I hope the talks of them buying Suarez are true. Would be an incredible signing. We will probably sell Negredo and Aguero to help finance and there's talks of Dzeko leaving too and with the depth at the forward position we'd still be fine. Plus our attacking midfielders are superb and provide goal support consistently.

Reactions: Kinkladze
Selling Suarez to build depth would no help them become a superpower at all. They are a good side but without him, they are not this high up the table. Replacing him with a bunch of quality players does not change that. Superpowers need elite players and depth, not just one or the other.
With their style of attacking play I think a great striker could easily step in Suarezes shoes and put up solid numbers alongside sturridge. If you use the money from the sale to then sure up the defense the team wouldn't have to score 2-4 goals a game to win anymore.
I created this more as a discussion topic to get people talking.
I think Liverpool has great potential and even their own fans, as much as they love Suarez, want him sold because they know what needs to be done for them to succeed long term. Selling Suarez and getting a large amount of funds to then re-invest in the real issues the club is having (lack of defense) will help them tremendously.
With their current team there is no way they can have success in the UCL so I see them making a move this offseason.

The torrent of injuries that Man City have suffered show just how difficult it is to balance a full schedule in England. Man City's League Cup and UCL adventures (along with a not quite deep run in the FA Cup) have come at the cost of a bunch of injuries. Selling Suarez isn't going to be enough, not in the least because then they'd have to replace Suarez as well as address their defensive misfortunes.

It's why City is doing this whole NYCFC thing in the first place. You need to be able to generate your own talent to take on these schedules.

Don't think city are making a club in NY for depth. These clubs need to sustain themselves. By taking best players from them to play in city after injuries will turn off the fan base and the club won't make money and it will be a big expenditure.
City have one of the best youth development systems in the world and are building an even larger complex to accommodate. Their u-14's won NPL crown 2 years running. U-18's in first place of PAL table. U-19 made it to quarterfinals in the Uefa Youth League Cup and lost to benfica 1-2.

With their style of attacking play I think a great striker could easily step in Suarezes shoes and put up solid numbers alongside sturridge. If you use the money from the sale to then sure up the defense the team wouldn't have to score 2-4 goals a game to win anymore.
I created this more as a discussion topic to get people talking.
I think Liverpool has great potential and even their own fans, as much as they love Suarez, want him sold because they know what needs to be done for them to succeed long term. Selling Suarez and getting a large amount of funds to then re-invest in the real issues the club is having (lack of defense) will help them tremendously.
With their current team there is no way they can have success in the UCL so I see them making a move this offseason.
Selling Suarez and using that money to buy a different striker who can put up similar performances (in your words, a great striker) will leave very little money left to shore up the defense and to acquire depth to compete in Europe. Using that money to shore up the defense and need fewer goals may leave them needing fewer attacking options, but they will essentially be the same team, just winning 1-0 and 2-1 instead of 4-3 and 5-4. Still no help in becoming a superpower. If you use the proceeeds on improving depth, you may be better able to compete in multiple competitions but your starting XI is severely weakened so you wont be a superpower either. The only way this club becomes a super power in the next few years is if they KEEP Suarez AND spend to improve the defense AND acquire depth. If they sell him and just break even on new players, or maybe a bit into the deficit, they will still be a solid club, probably top 4. But not a superpower.

One does not simply just become a superpower by selling one striker.

Don't think city are making a club in NY for depth. These clubs need to sustain themselves. By taking best players from them to play in city after injuries will turn off the fan base and the club won't make money and it will be a big expenditure. City have one of the best youth development systems in the world and are building an even larger complex to accommodate. Their u-14's won NPL crown 2 years running. U-18's in first place of PAL table. U-19 made it to quarterfinals in the Uefa Youth League Cup and lost to benfica 1-2.

I don't think City is planning to use NYCFC as a farm club like say an MLB treats its AAA affiliate where everytime there's an injury there's a "callup" from the lower club. But MCFC clearly thinks MLS is a great place for some of its younger talent to develop and Kreis has made it clear that that's the thinking. Most of the players that MCFC sends over will be players that leave after a little while in order to go play for MCFC or other clubs in Europe. That's ok, because that's not going to be the majority of NYCFC's players and all clubs experience turnover.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not talking about barca or real here. I'm talking BPL. They have a great chance of being a consistent top finishing BPL team. They will sell Suarez this off season. I'm 99% sure of that.
Also the money acquired from top finished and UCL is great too.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not talking about barca or real here. I'm talking BPL. They have a great chance of being a consistent top finishing BPL team. They will sell Suarez this off season. I'm 99% sure of that.
Fair enough. I still think at this point there are too many good teams in the BPL for any one team to dominate season after season, especially because they will have to focus on UCL as well. I like Liverpool and their future, but are they going to consistently be better than Man City and Chelsea for the next few years? Win trophies in 4 of the next 5 seasons? I doubt it. I think in that regard they are flattering to deceive, as cirucumstances are perfect for them this season and that will not always be the case. consistent top 4 yes. consistent champion? No.

For sure. I doubt they'll dominate but I see them consistently making UCL and joining city and Chelsea there and not having to resort to Europa anymore.

I guess the question then is how do we define a superpower? To me it would be threatening for a League title while being able to go on deep runs in Europe and the domestic clubs. Liverpool's success in the League title is impressive but LFC haven't done much else. With their defense, I think they're a ways away from competing in every competition they enter.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
Hear me out lol
I'm saying if they sell Suarez and buy to sure up defense they could. Not in their present state of course.

There's some people who may say Liverpool have "overachieved." Its a tough call to make because its hard to say a club has overachieved after 38 games. Of course they haven't played 38 but is clear if they aren't top they will be extremely close in points. Still if a midtable side challenged for top six completely unexpected many people would say that's a surprise. As for suggesting Aguero could be sold to make way for Suarez its already been stated by Pellegrini he would rather have Aguero. Anything that could be done with Suarez can be done with Aguero at MCFC. Its about time Aguero gets the rating he deserves from some people. If you take Aguero's lack of controversial behaviour into account as well that's another plus for Aguero.

Lets see now if they collapse as they have in the past. On a side note Ferguson is looking like a moron considering he didn't even name Liverpool out of six clubs this past January as potential title challengers. Shame they didn't do it in past years when he was there.

Reactions: Kinkladze