Major League Soccer Trolls The World With New Logo

MLSLogoEdit1.jpg

This has to be a joke right? A prank or something?

Reactions: Kjbert
I was being sarcastic obviously. This is really horrible. It reminds me of the stuff you find on ClipArt in Microsoft Word.

The league tried to be sophisticated and modern, but this is just low quality. Oh, the slash across the middle signifies a first half and second half? Wow, so deep dude.

And customizable league logo for each team? Moronic.

Really disappointed.

“It means each club will get a version of the league crest, which better reflects their clubs identity and local market,” the MLS press release states. “This is not a replacement for the club brand; instead the new league brand compliments and allows the club to be the real hero. We want to reinforce the ethos of the new brand, which encourages clubs to “own” and adapt the crest to match the colors they and their fans associate with and support.”
MLS_crest_club_colors-600x600.png

MLS unveils new logo

Reactions: Kinkladze and Vito
"More than half the logo is empty white space. The other part crams in a boring font and three stars that are oddly placed and have a meaning no one will remember tomorrow. The crest itself is off a generic shape, with a slash extending through it as if someone were crossing this choice out as an option. Overall, its boring and odd such that it would be improved if they did put a soccer ball in the empty space."

"The crest itself is off a generic shape, with a slash extending through it as if someone were crossing this choice out as an option."

Yeah, I don't get the slash either (regardless of MLS' explanation):
SLASH: The slash refers to soccer’s speed and energy. The slash begins outside the perimeter and drives upward at a 45-degree angle to illustrate both the nonstop nature of our game and the rising trajectory of our league. It bisects the crest to create a “first half” and “second half.”

They (MLS) says it the slash drives UPWARD, but when the trailing edge falls below the bottom of the logo, that looks like the way I'd draw a slash DOWNWARD (like the "trajectory" of the game is DOWN).

Not the greatest and not an upgrade. But now that the league is done with rebranding perhaps they can focus energy on CBA and stadiums.

I definitely like the new logo and the fact that each teach has a specific one for them. Just can't tell which go with which team. So many similar color schemes

At first I was shocked by it but I like it. Sure some of the marketing copy is corny, but when is it not?

The picture on the Galaxy sleeve in this article looks really nice imo. I like the way it can be animated and grow out of lines with a lot of movement for transitions and such in-game (as in the video on the official site).

The SI article also says some positive things about the future of the league.
“We’re sending a very strong message that he club marks are the most important. The clubs are really the primary connecting point for our fans. They wear their colors. They declare their loyalty and we want to be able to amplify that and build on that with the way that we frame the league mark,” Handler said.​
The best thing for the league right now is to take a step back and make the clubs top priority so that the supporters culture can grow. Look at the other big leagues, no one supports the EPL or Bundesliga, you support your club. This looks like a step in the right direction.

Oh, and it says NYCFC jersey release in November, so that's cool too.

Reactions: Kinkladze and Vito