Mini MLS Rant

I think Orlando City is a very good name for a MLS soccer club. The Ruckus can lick my balls, but I have no issues with the name.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Im fine with Orlando's name. Cities in the US are more spread out due to being built up after the advent of car culture. Compared to European cities which are generally denser and existed long before the car became the primary mode of transportation.

I am fine with generic names like *Place name* FC or *Place Name* SC. I really like the American mix with a nickname followed by FC/SC. Like the Timbers, Sounders etc. As long as the nickname has something to do with the local community.

Generic nicknames like Dynamo or Impact are so stupid. Same with corporate names like that team in New Jersey.

But again nothing and I mean nothing is worse than Real Salt Lake. I hope they change it. Makes the whole league look amateur.

Reactions: Vallos and Ulrich
what are the requirements to be properly named a "city". population? physical size? downtown area? :p

https://ballotpedia.org/Largest_cities_in_the_United_States_by_population

For example, if Orlando is ranked 77th in the US and has a population of 255K. is it safe to say anyone ranked below Orlando is NOT considered a city?

So says Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
In the United States, a "City" is any incorporated town that has a mayor and/or a board of alderman or council. This can be of any size.

I'm pretty sure there are cities in the US with 1,000 people or less in them.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
1,000 is deffinetly not a city by any standard. Its one of those things you just know
I think a city is any place that has a mayor and a city council, regardless of size. For example, take Oneonta, NY. If you put your finger in the exact center of a map of New York you'll most likely be right there. 13,901 people as of the 2010 census, somewhat typical of an upstate New York city. The smallest one is Sherrill, NY. 3,147 as of 2011 but still has a mayor and city council.

I'd say that any place that has a mayor, a city council, a police department, and maybe a non-volunteer fire department counts as a city.

Sources:
Oneonta, NY - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneonta,_New_York
Cities in New York State - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_New_York

Note that I picked Oneonta because I spent every summer until I was 16 in a town maybe 15 miles outside the city. Family still has a house up there but I haven't been there in years. Never been to Sherrill though. Alas.

I think a city is any place that has a mayor and a city council, regardless of size. For example, take Oneonta, NY. If you put your finger in the exact center of a map of New York you'll most likely be right there. 13,901 people as of the 2010 census, somewhat typical of an upstate New York city. The smallest one is Sherrill, NY. 3,147 as of 2011 but still has a mayor and city council.

I'd say that any place that has a mayor, a city council, a police department, and maybe a non-volunteer fire department counts as a city.

Sources:
Oneonta, NY - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneonta,_New_York
Cities in New York State - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_New_York

Note that I picked Oneonta because I spent every summer until I was 16 in a town maybe 15 miles outside the city. Family still has a house up there but I haven't been there in years. Never been to Sherrill though. Alas.
Are you sure it's not a town? Or maybe a village? Or a hamlet? Could it be a confederation of likeminded people with built shelters in the same general vicinity?

Are you sure it's not a town? Or maybe a village? Or a hamlet? Could it be a confederation of likeminded people with built shelters in the same general vicinity?
Well now I'm not so sure about you, Ulrich Ulrich. That last one sounds like a buncha dirty hippies.

Well now I'm not so sure about you, Ulrich Ulrich. That last one sounds like a buncha dirty hippies.

Well, now that you mention it I think it did look a bit like a Hamlet.
615x330-hamlet.jpg

Im fine with Orlando's name. Cities in the US are more spread out due to being built up after the advent of car culture. Compared to European cities which are generally denser and existed long before the car became the primary mode of transportation.

I am fine with generic names like *Place name* FC or *Place Name* SC. I really like the American mix with a nickname followed by FC/SC. Like the Timbers, Sounders etc. As long as the nickname has something to do with the local community.

Generic nicknames like Dynamo or Impact are so stupid. Same with corporate names like that team in New Jersey.

To be fair, Dynamo is more a reference to Houston being the "energy capital of the world" and I think a Houston team also used that name in the 80s, so I'd classify that as being along the lines of the Timbers or Sounders.

Cities are merely legal entities created by the community having nothing to do with how "City" is perceived colloquially. When you think of a "City" everyone has a perception of what that should encompass. Yet, Nassau County has two cities. Glen Cove and Long Beach are two cities of the state of NY. When you drive through them, they pretty much look like any other Hamlet, or Village on the Island.

1,000 is deffinetly not a city by any standard. Its one of those things you just know

Haha. I definitely agree with you on that - I didn't want to put my own views on the line as I'm aware that as the outlander of the forum I'm somewhat counter-cultural in many aspects, and over here it takes a whole lot more to be recognised as a city - they can only be created by act of Parliament for a start, and they generally only do so to celebrate major events such as jubilees and the year 2000. There are a number of towns in the UK with 100,000+ populations because Parliament refuses to recognise just anywhere as a city. I can't get my head around places which will give just about anywhere city status.

Haha. I definitely agree with you on that - I didn't want to put my own views on the line as I'm aware that as the outlander of the forum I'm somewhat counter-cultural in many aspects, and over here it takes a whole lot more to be recognised as a city - they can only be created by act of Parliament for a start, and they generally only do so to celebrate major events such as jubilees and the year 2000. There are a number of towns in the UK with 100,000+ populations because Parliament refuses to recognise just anywhere as a city. I can't get my head around places which will give just about anywhere city status.
Exactly. 100% you get it

I can't get my head around places which will give just about anywhere city status.
the same could possibly also be said regarding Royal families in the 21st century :tonguewink: