Mini MLS Rant

I've heard Orlando City fans say that "City" in their name helps emphasize the difference between the touristy Disney areas and the local Orlando "city" and population. Under that logic, Las Vegas could do the same to emphasize they represent the local "city" and population of Las Vegas, not the touristy Las Vegas strip. (But I don't think Las Vegas will get an MLS team.)

Despite the above tenuous rationalization, I really wish we were the only "City" team, as it's the legitimate nickname of the city. Same for a place like Kansas City, but they went with "Sporting" instead.

Anyways, I've made peace with all of this stuff. After a few years, you get used to the name, and settle on a rationalization that helps with acceptance. Real Salt Lake, for example, I think of as just a more unique way to call yourself the "Royals" like the baseball team. Still a dumb name, but at least I sleep at night.

I also remind myself that this league is still not mature. In the next 10-20 years, I could see at least a handful of existing teams re-brand again. The league notices what brands work and what brands do not, and any egregious ones may eventually fall off. Real Salt Lake and their fanbase already push the acronym "RSL" as the nickname. The Revolution will rebrand eventually, etc.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
I am a little tired of the MLS teams importing overseas soccer nicknames. All the Uniteds and Citys are getting repetitive. Some of the best MLS names go the other way. NE Revolution, LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers. Those are great names that have something to do with the local culture. They are memorable and unique. I'd rather have something like one of those than the 3rd iteration of United or City.

And, Orlando is a City. It has a downtown, complete with tall buildings and a nightlife. Not sure why you think it doesn't. It also has neighborhoods with histories going back 100 years and local shopping districts, etc. It's not compact like a northeastern city, but it's less spread out than others. It's also the 24th largest MSA in the country, so if Orlando isn't big enough, neither are Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis...

I am a little tired of the MLS teams importing overseas soccer nicknames. All the Uniteds and Citys are getting repetitive. Some of the best MLS names go the other way. NE Revolution, LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers. Those are great names that have something to do with the local culture. They are memorable and unique. I'd rather have something like one of those than the 3rd iteration of United or City.

And, Orlando is a City. It has a downtown, complete with tall buildings and a nightlife. Not sure why you think it doesn't. It also has neighborhoods with histories going back 100 years and local shopping districts, etc. It's not compact like a northeastern city, but it's less spread out than others. It's also the 24th largest MSA in the country, so if Orlando isn't big enough, neither are Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis...
I hear you on the importing overseas soccer nicknames, but the only "City" in MLS that I would say is imported is for Orlando (and I definitely agree with you that Orlando is very much a city).

SKC and NYC are the only other two and both have "City" in their names. I would also argue that nobody refers to SKC as a "City" (nickname-wise) team. Meanwhile ours, while it does have ties to CFG obviously, was also important to distinguish ourselves from that team that plays in New Jersey.

But I do generally agree with you on the Uniteds, Real, Sporting, etc. being imported from overseas. I also don't want nicknames similar to what is in use in MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

I do enjoy the other nicknames the league has (Union, Fire, Sounders, Timbers, Galaxy, etc.)

An unrelated MLS mini rant......

When announcing our matches, why do the vast majority of announcers insist on calling us "NYCFC" for the entire match? It's a freakin mouthful man. Alexi Lalas does it incessantly.

I get it for like maybe the first 10-15 minutes. But after that? C'mon. We get it.

"NYC" or "New York City" or "City" will do just fine.

I know it probably bothers me more than the average fan but pay attention to it next time you watch a game. My ears get exhausted.

When announcing our matches, why do the vast majority of announcers insist on calling us "NYCFC" for the entire match? It's a freakin mouthful man. Alexi Lalas does it incessantly.

I get it for like maybe the first 10-15 minutes. But after that? C'mon. We get it.

I know it probably bothers me more than the average fan but pay attention to it next time you watch a game. My ears get exhausted.
So that nobody will confuse us with that other "New York" team..... as if that would ever happen.....

No idea really, and agree that it sounds labored.

It's also weird because no other team is referred to by their acronym. Announcers don't say "L.A.G." or "D.C.U." Ours is one of the worst vocalized acronyms in the league yet the only one that's vocalized.

"New York City" is obviously better, and though some people dislike it, "City" is absolutely fine by me.

It's also weird because no other team is referred to by their acronym. Announcers don't say "L.A.G." or "D.C.U." Ours is one of the worst vocalized acronyms in the league yet the only one that's vocalized.

"New York City" is obviously better, and though some people dislike it, "City" is absolutely fine by me.
I'm not for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if Salt Lake is referred to be their acronym RSL during broadcasts. But your general point I definitely agree with.

Reactions: sbrylski
But I do generally agree with you on the Uniteds, Real, Sporting, etc. being imported from overseas. I also don't want nicknames similar to what is in use in MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

Well, that's the tricky part. Coming up with a good nickname that doesn't seem like a bad version of an NFL team but is still original. As you mention, Sounders, Galaxy, Revolution, Union, Fire - those are all great. But, there is a reason we no longer have the Wizards, Burn and Metrostars, not to mention the Mutiny and the Fusion.

NYCFC is too polysyllabic, five in all. Problem is that nobody has settled on a shorter nickname. It will happen.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Reactions: Goodfella
Not yet I believe. Last I heard they were actually playing ALL of their games away this season. I just brought them up because it's a hilariously stupid name!
yeah I looked into after posting, work is scheduled to resume on the stadium shortly with the expectation they'll be abl;e to play there in 2017. What a mess!

Lakewood BlueClaws . . . we're SIMPLY CLAWSOME.

Capture.PNG