MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

Aside from the risk of losing Ian and Joe, this is great news. It looks like you won't even have to subscribe to AppleTV+ to get it. And the wrap around shows, etc should really help promote the league.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

I really don't want to lose Ian and Joe though, they're such awesome commentators, I love them so much. They do research on both teams before every game, they do a really really good job.

Aside from the risk of losing Ian and Joe, this is great news. It looks like you won't even have to subscribe to AppleTV+ to get it. And the wrap around shows, etc should really help promote the league.
The post on nycfc.com says “all” with an Apple TV+ subscription and “some” for free. Also includes a selection of MLS Next Pro matches as well. I do hope they keep the local broadcasters though. Well, at least ours, that is.

Reactions: Kjbert
it says its included for those that are full season ticket holders. everyone else, no clue.

yea i'm in that everyone else group starting next year. i would hope it's no more than ESPN+. I am going to guess it's $4/month? but it'll probably be $6

Reactions: Kjbert
Assembling individual broadcast teams would be a big pain for Apple, so I’d bet the teams will be involved in picking home broadcast teams. But we definitely won’t have a consistent team on the road.

Given that our broadcasts are a pain in the ass to find when they conflict with Yankee games, having a specific place where they will always be broadcast is fantastic news for us. This is pretty great, esp since STHs get this package for free.

This deal makes a ton of sense. Also gonna make it easier to cut the cord. It’s a combination of Apple wanting to prove a point and MLS lacking leverage for a solution, that works for both and should move the global football user experience forward in ways that other deals can’t. Hopefully it will help drag other competitions into the future.
I DO hope they keep Ian and Joe around though. I love those guys. They have a great rapport and they are honest.

This deal makes a ton of sense. Also gonna make it easier to cut the cord. It’s a combination of Apple wanting to prove a point and MLS lacking leverage for a solution, that works for both and should move the global football user experience forward in ways that other deals can’t. Hopefully it will help drag other competitions into the future.
I DO hope they keep Ian and Joe around though. I love those guys. They have a great rapport and they are honest.
P.S. this is likely the closest thing we will ever get to having every match on free TV.

not all matches. "a broad selection..."
Agreed. Not sure why people read the text to say AppleTV+ gets all the games:

From early 2023 through 2032, fans can get every live MLS match by subscribing to a new MLS streaming service, . . . . A broad selection of MLS and Leagues Cup matches, including some of the biggest matchups, will also be available at no additional cost to Apple TV+ subscribers, with a limited number of matches available for free.​

I expect the subscription will be annual only, otherwise too many people will drop during the off-season and maybe not pick it back up until May or so. My completely uninformed wild guess is $59.99. It has no real analogue. You're obviously getting less than say ESPN+, except when it comes to your local MLS games, where you get more. The other "all-inclusive" league subscriptions -- NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, Premier League, exclude something so the league can leverage their IP monopoly and force you to hold multiple subscriptions to get every game.

Last edited: