2023 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs

That was a really fun game. Sorry Cinci, but I don't understand how you can keep Acosta on for that long after he's CLEARLY injured and not able to continue -- and that basically led to Columbus' last goal.

Reactions: ALBNYfan
Because Cushing didn't rate him. Which was weird because he was pretty good when he played. It's definitely one of the reasons I wonder about Cushing's abilities as coach.

Amundsen lost his spot under Ronny too. First, he lost his spot to Gudi and then he lost it to O'toole, both players that I think most would consider less talented than Amundsen. Then again as I said last time this came up O'toole took Cufre's spot too so maybe we are all just underrating O'Toole.

He has a very good roster. He did not have as good a roster in Montreal and they were pretty awful. If we had a better roster, I think we'd think differently of Cushing.
Huh? He had a pretty bad roster in Montreal... and they were most certainly NOT awful. They were, in fact, really good.

In 2022, Nancy led Montreal to a club-best, regular-season record of 20-9-5. With 65 total points, Montreal finished second in the Eastern Conference and third overall in MLS, just two points shy of the Supporters’ Shield winners. Montreal’s 20 wins were second overall in the league, and his team finished in the top five for goals scored (63). Montreal went unbeaten in eight matches from mid-March to mid-May, and again from mid-July to late August. They dropped just one game in the final 15 matches of the regular season, going 11-1-3. Nancy finished second in voting for the 2022 MLS Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year award, just one-tenth of a percentage point behind Philadelphia Union’s Jim Curtain.

Huh? He had a pretty bad roster in Montreal... and they were most certainly NOT awful. They were, in fact, really good.

In 2022, Nancy led Montreal to a club-best, regular-season record of 20-9-5. With 65 total points, Montreal finished second in the Eastern Conference and third overall in MLS, just two points shy of the Supporters’ Shield winners. Montreal’s 20 wins were second overall in the league, and his team finished in the top five for goals scored (63). Montreal went unbeaten in eight matches from mid-March to mid-May, and again from mid-July to late August. They dropped just one game in the final 15 matches of the regular season, going 11-1-3. Nancy finished second in voting for the 2022 MLS Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year award, just one-tenth of a percentage point behind Philadelphia Union’s Jim Curtain.
Yup, he deserved Coach of the Year last year IMO. I'd love him here, he'd fit perfectly into the City DNA.

My mistake. For some reason I forgot he was still there last year, I thought he was already in Columbus.

Reactions: Shwafta
My mistake. For some reason I forgot he was still there last year, I thought he was already in Columbus.
ah. I also just noticed I misread your sentence - you wrote "Not as good a roster as Montreal" - misread that!! Sorry!

Either way we're just cleared two points hah

Yup, he deserved Coach of the Year last year IMO. I'd love him here, he'd fit perfectly into the City DNA.
But then of course was ousted in the playoffs -- quite decisively — by…

Nick Cushing.

Still not particularly inspired by Nick but he’s not the dumpster fire he’s often portrayed as.

ETA: in their four meetings, they have drawn 3 times and Nick won once. So of a possible 12 points Nick has earned 6 and Nancy 3.

Also worth noting: we drew both our matches against the Eastern Conference champs this season, even before our summer window reinforcements arrived.

Which of course means, by Philly Union logic, that we’re entitled to at least a share of the 2023 Eastern Conference Chanpionship. 😎

Last edited:
This Twitter thread with the jerseys from past championship games is fun on a number of levels.

One thing I noticed is that of the 9 seasons we’ve been in the league, only once has the MLS Cup not featured at least one of Portland, Seattle and Columbus - and that was last season.

I also noticed that the Portland and Columbus kits should be swapped in 2015, because left is home and right is away. That's the only one I believe is wrong.

Watching this game has me more skeptical of Cushing than ever:

1) Nancy's transformation of the Crew into a soon to be champion one year after dragging a weak Montreal squad to the playoffs shows how much a good - and adaptable - manager can affect a team in MLS.

2) Amundsen is clearly an upper level left back in MLS yet he (and Cufre....and Ilenic...) couldn't get run with NYCFC.

We can see what happens with squad additions at the start of the season, but if the team (and fullbacks) start slow, I hope there is a succession plan in place.

Totally agree with the above post. Both points.

Regarding a manager impact, I’m a spurs fan and big Ange has turn that club around 180 degrees in one preseason. The only issue is finding an Ange or Nancy. They don’t grow on trees.

Regarding Malte, I was shocked when they traded him. Great attitude, talented, hardworking, young, and loved the club. Made no sense, especially with our other glaring holes.

And as I write this, Malte with a goal saving tackle on Vela…