2023 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs

I guess Columbus is entitled to a consolation win tonight.
IMG_2815.jpeg

Bet.

Philly gets bounced on a 94' minute goal that looked like it should've been flagged for offside.

The internet is going to be so sweet from salty Union fan tears the next few days.

Where to go first? reddit/mls? Twitter? Big Soccer?

Philly gets bounced on a 94' minute goal that looked like it should've been flagged for offside.

The internet is going to be so sweet from salty Union fan tears the next few days.

Where to go first? reddit/mls? Twitter? Big Soccer?
Honestly, I hate Philadelphia, but I'm not smiling tonight about their exit. They got fucked. I hate poor refereeing more than I hate Philadelphia.

2021 was their own fault.
2022 they got outplayed.
2023 they got screwed.

Reactions: Joe_Cos and Shwafta
Honestly, I hate Philadelphia, but I'm not smiling tonight about their exit. They got fucked. I hate poor refereeing more than I hate Philadelphia.

2021 was their own fault.
2022 they got outplayed.
2023 they got screwed.
Still doesn't change the fact that

Hahahahahha philly get fucked

(Also can I point out: I said the reverse would happen (Orlando/philly final), so does that mean I Shwafta'd us to our preferred outcomes?!)

Imagine telling a Houston fan in the past 10 years that they'd be in the conference finals. They'd probably laugh at you! Good on Houston 🫡

I'm cheering for Houston or Cincinnati as I'd love to see a fresh face on that trophy.

Because of offsides on the goal? If so the announcers said they were told VAR had a definitive camera angle that showed he was onsides. Unfortunately we never saw it.
They released the angle later. It wasn't definitive - it was down the end of the 18-yard box when the offside was about halfway up. It shows the play to be very close. Offside Modeling ran its analysis and estimated 3" offsides. Close, but not enough to overturn.

The other contentious issue is last night's goal line save by a Houston defender against a KC attacker. Ball appears to hit the defender's arm in the goal mouth, but his arm looked to be close to his side. The angles available during the match were not the right ones to evaluate exactly how close the arm is to the defender's body. Later, our friends tweeted a behind the goal view that shows it better.

Ref called it no penalty. VAR checked and didn't call for a review.

It's very close. Not sure that gets overturned either way.

Reactions: FootyLovin
They released the angle later. It wasn't definitive - it was down the end of the 18-yard box when the offside was about halfway up. It shows the play to be very close. Offside Modeling ran its analysis and estimated 3" offsides. Close, but not enough to overturn.

I wonder how much push there is within MLS to get stadiums to mount more (enough) cameras to have more definitive technological resolutions to these calls.

Time to step into the 21st century.

Reactions: moogoo and gbservis
The other contentious issue is last night's goal line save by a Houston defender against a KC attacker. Ball appears to hit the defender's arm in the goal mouth, but his arm looked to be close to his side. The angles available during the match were not the right ones to evaluate exactly how close the arm is to the defender's body. Later, our friends tweeted a behind the goal view that shows it better.

Ref called it no penalty. VAR checked and didn't call for a review.

It's very close. Not sure that gets overturned either way.

That is a really weird call. Clearly his arm blocked the ball. Clearly there was space between his body and his arm. How does the rule book define too much space? For me it's a handball simply because there is no doubt that his arm stopped a goal. But I would find a red card (or even yellow) pretty harsh given how close his arm was to his body.

I wonder how much push there is within MLS to get stadiums to mount more (enough) cameras to have more definitive technological resolutions to these calls.

Time to step into the 21st century.

It's not a stadium issue, it's a TV broadcaster issue. MLS only required 8 cameras on their broadcasts when they were using regional networks. They mandate where the cameras have to be (center line, each 18, etc). They added cameras under Apple, but it's still not enough to have best angles of all these plays.

Adding cameras would mean added production costs for MLS, which eats into their Apple profits.

That is a really weird call. Clearly his arm blocked the ball. Clearly there was space between his body and his arm. How does the rule book define too much space? For me it's a handball simply because there is no doubt that his arm stopped a goal. But I would find a red card (or even yellow) pretty harsh given how close his arm was to his body.
Right, this is 2002 USA vs Germany all over again.

The arm prevented the goal and is away from the body but nothing about it seemed intentional. This should be a penalty and no card issued IMO.

The arm prevented the goal and is away from the body but nothing about it seemed intentional. This should be a penalty and no card issued IMO.
It's denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity though (intentional or otherwise). Penalty and red card.

That would be an appropriate outcome but it is not (and I am sure you know this) how the rules work.

One thing that's needed in the VAR age is a reworking of the rules here and there. Some of that has already happened.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

Well, that settles it. Looks like Philly is the 2023 Hypothetical MLS Cup Champ - a three-peat!!

hot damn this game is AMAZING. This is the definition of a rivalry game. I love it!!!!

One-off playoff is the way to go. They gotta get rid of the three-game nonsense next year. lol