MLS - April 29 - Toronto (Away)

I agree with what Moogoo said about Pellegrini, but I kept seeing Ledezma half assing it to second balls as well. WTF was that?

The club is playing exactly as it should be playing with this roster, missing pieces, and lack of depth. It doesn’t mean they won’t sort it out, but it does mean that you get flawed and inconsistent results, even more so when you get the expected ordinary course injuries. It’s so annoying.

Heber looking good for Seattle again tonight. When we let him go I was like, "meh ok it's probably the right time" but goddamn we sure could have used him this year.
I get giving him away if we were planning on getting someone. but.... this is just unacceptable.

Reactions: JayH and moogoo
That game was fated to be 1-0 or 0-0. Toronto was better - but hardly impressive.

O’Toole was lost on the goal. Perhaps Cufre keeps it 0-0, but a draw was hardly deserved.

It was interesting that the team that had an actual #9 scored.

Hoping for 6 points out of this road trip. 4 would be fine. Anything less an issue.

On to the next one (and forgetting this one).

Reactions: Kenny
If so I agree. Not a big deal. Just didn't know who it was for..

Chanot pushed forward with the ball and lost it by dribbling right into the Toronto backline. Talles was next to him and I think complained that Chanot didn't pass the ball to him. In response, Chanot barked something back at him. Based on the reaction I'd bet Chanot called Magno out of his lack of production or just told him to f-off.

magno and chanot were arguing. not sure if that is what you meant.

talles was much better taking people on 1v1 last year. i think the difference this year is there is no #9 to take defenders away and he's getting double teamed more often than not. 1v1 he's still doing pretty decent but it looks much worse cause he gets double teamed more without someone in the middle as a threat. a dangerous #9 will change that.

yea - we need attacking depth for sure.

no one had a great game imo.. chanot and martins played well.

we just move the ball too slowly. instead of pinging diagonal switches from side to side or from the back line (chanot did this but only after TFC had settled into their block), we pass it slowly around the back. movement is too predictable and just no real presence in the midfield to direct the play.

both parks and ledesma were pretty blah tonight.

pellegrini wasn't even his hardworking self (i really think he's injured).

Team has time to get it together, but mentality is just not there. the style and demand from the players is not there.
Pretty much this. We still have the quality to play poorly and not completely look like crap. But def lacking an incisive edge.

And it’s always f-in Laryea.

Chanot pushed forward with the ball and lost it by dribbling right into the Toronto backline. Talles was next to him and I think complained that Chanot didn't pass the ball to him. In response, Chanot barked something back at him. Based on the reaction I'd bet Chanot called Magno out of his lack of production or just told him to f-off.
I think Chanot wanted Talles to make a run.

Glad I watched the Rangers in real time instead of this.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yea. It was a weird sequence. Chanot had no business trying to dribble into the attack. But he as definitely frustrated cause he had pushed into the attack the last 5 minutes. Not sure if Nick told him to or not.. announcers sure seemed to think it was a tactical change.

Either way, the argument on the field is no big deal. Don't think either of them should get punished for it. Guaranteed they made up in the locker room after the game.

Adding to the complication of our offensive woes, I think Insigne was a big part of it. Pellegrini didn’t get any of the same support from Ilenic that Gabby has gotten last few games. I think he was instructed to stay at home more to protect against the threat of Insigne. Then on the other side Magno and O’Toole had no chemistry, no good overlaps there. So we can complain about the #9 (and sure, please do), but I think we were just as troubled last night by no FB play in the offensive third.

I get very agitated when I see people post “this player is shit” etc. What I’m seeing this year is a very good first 11 and a group of backups who would probably start comfortably in the lower half of the table, but in our context constitute a big dropoff. The entire roster is very disciplined and makes other teams work hard for their goals.

And we need a striker to hold things up, open up space, and poach.

But what really seems to kill us on the road is the cult of possession at all costs.
Our marginal players and backups (Pel, O’Toole, both starting FBs, Fredo, Segal) all seem to think that a safe pass back is better than a forward thrust if there is even an iota of a chance that thrust will be parried.

I don’t think it’s about talent or the ability to make decisions/see the game (since Mata we haven’t had a serial bonehead —ok maybe Andrade, I’m exempting Talles for now). I think CFG just hammers that possession thing into them and stifles their creativity, while ironically it’s the risk takers (Taty, Gaby, Maxi, Callens) who make the difference.

I’m not suggesting that we throw caution to the winds, but when the O’Tooles and Ilenics and Cufres and Fredos and even Tayvons of the world go forward and it ends up as a GK or a throw in, that’s fine. And as fans we need to calm down when not every cross connects.

Everybody is like “shit this” and “garbage that.” We don’t really have any hot garbage. There are no more Sheltons. No Jason Hernandezes. There aren’t even any JLews. It’s a competent roster that is very disciplined. and outside of Santi Gaby Keaton and Talles I’d say we are too disciplined. Which translates to predictable. See Spain lately for reference.

And we need a striker.

So I’m not panicking. We’ve been here before.

I get very agitated when I see people post “this player is shit” etc. What I’m seeing this year is a very good first 11 and a group of backups who would probably start comfortably in the lower half of the table, but in our context constitute a big dropoff. The entire roster is very disciplined and makes other teams work hard for their goals.

And we need a striker to hold things up, open up space, and poach.

But what really seems to kill us on the road is the cult of possession at all costs.
Our marginal players and backups (Pel, O’Toole, both starting FBs, Fredo, Segal) all seem to think that a safe pass back is better than a forward thrust if there is even an iota of a chance that thrust will be parried.

I don’t think it’s about talent or the ability to make decisions/see the game (since Mata we haven’t had a serial bonehead —ok maybe Andrade, I’m exempting Talles for now). I think CFG just hammers that possession thing into them and stifles their creativity, while ironically it’s the risk takers (Taty, Gaby, Maxi, Callens) who make the difference.

I’m not suggesting that we throw caution to the winds, but when the O’Tooles and Ilenics and Cufres and Fredos and even Tayvons of the world go forward and it ends up as a GK or a throw in, that’s fine. And as fans we need to calm down when not every cross connects.

Everybody is like “shit this” and “garbage that.” We don’t really have any hot garbage. There are no more Sheltons. No Jason Hernandezes. There aren’t even any JLews. It’s a competent roster that is very disciplined. and outside of Santi Gaby Keaton and Talles I’d say we are too disciplined. Which translates to predictable. See Spain lately for reference.

And we need a striker.

So I’m not panicking. We’ve been here before.
This, all day long.