MLS - April 8 - Atlanta (Home)

Wow. Totally different for me. 129 tends to be pretty subdued but tonight 129 and 130 were on fire. Might have had something to do with a couple of very loud (and TBF amusing) ATL supporters. Was thinking the team should plant guys like this in every section each game just to stoke things up.
P.S. very disappointing not to be seeing Callens getting more minutes at Girona. Their defense is pretty shaky. He may deserve a shot more than Taty right now.

I think it ultimately comes down to just one loss. Maxi. He was just so good at so many things that he is irreplaceable. We're seeing that now.
Agreed. He was in a limited sense our de Bruyne. In a way Parks is at the moment "just" a midfielder, he's maybe not the creative and driving spark that Maxi was. He certainly could be, though. And the same with Magno, I guess.

I think it ultimately comes down to just one loss. Maxi. He was just so good at so many things that he is irreplaceable. We're seeing that now.
Didn't we go thru this at some point last year and mgarbowski mgarbowski did an analysis of our offense with and without Maxi and found it pretty comparable? Am I misremembering this?

Didn't we go thru this at some point last year and mgarbowski mgarbowski did an analysis of our offense with and without Maxi and found it pretty comparable? Am I misremembering this?
I don’t have time to look today but I do remember noticing that we did quite well during at least some stretches without Maxi. But I’m less sure that was true overall. But also we should be more dangerous than this, I think.

Barraza made at least 2 good saves, not just one. One on an earlier corner, and another on a shot by Almada just before the corner where they scored. And I don’t se how to fault him for the goal. There was a corner, and the first ball rebounded back to the same corner and Almada walked it in about 5 yards before serving it in again a few yards from the end line. Luis had to and did defend the near post. Service went to the far end and the shot came from point blank and hit the cross bar before going in. We’ve conceded 8 goals in 7 games, many off set pieces. Our open play defending and goalkeeping are outstanding. I do wonder why we spent a few hundred grand on a bench keeper.

Segel’s little flick on the pass from Talles was very nicely done. That type of shot goes in, or not, as a matter of luck. Shame,

Oh, and it’s always disappointing not to dominate after going up a man, but honestly I think that happens less than half the time. When it does help it’s usually after a long time and eventually the short handed team just gives way. Most of the stoppages came after the red card so it really was about 30 minutes. Not nothing, but not super long either, and Atlanta had new players with fresh legs come on right after the ejection.

With all that, it still was a disappointing performance overall and really so far this season. Something is off. We need a striker yes but not sure that cures what ails us. Everyone needs to pick it up. I agree that G pereira seemed like a man possessed when he came on. more of that please.

Calen Carr made a good point last night. NYCFC is still in preseason mode because of our new (to us this year) signings after the season started.

Defense is pretty solid with Sands in front of Chanot and Martins and Barrazza doing fine at keeper, but the attack isnt happening yet. Guys aren't getting to good spots on the field, guys not recognizing the good spots their teammates will be in. Cufre and Ilenic arent fully integrated into the attack. Weird to see Talles have such a lousy game. With Pellegrini out next game I would like to see a front line of Jasson, Magno and Gabi.

Lot of upside with this team. I keep thinking if we can get through the first 2-3 months in range of the Conference leaders we can have good tournaments and go into playoffs with a top 4 seed, but the attack has to develop more bite.

Cufre and Almada swapped jerseys at halftime. Is swapping jerseys at halftime a thing? I dont remember ever seeing that before.

Game notes.
  • Chanot half (60%?) field shot. Love the ambition.
  • Segal with 1 great opportunity in each of first two games. Neither sitters. But if striking is about getting into great spots, he's gotten there a bit already. Hopeful he can learn and grow better (and build more chemistry with the others).
  • On the red card the announcers repeatedly said it was wild play on both sides. I don't get this. If you are first to the ball you are allowed to kick it hard. Yes, you need to be cautious of going high boot on your follow thru. But Sands's foot never got past a few inches off the ground before Ibara stomped him. I don't understand how that is wild on both sides.
  • xG. 1.2 for the game. 2 shots for a combined .1 (including Gaby's .06 banger) in the first 30+ minutes following the red card. 5 shots for a combined .65 in the final 3 minutes. Paints a disappointing picture.
  • Atl goal. Play the whistle. The goal happened because Almada was given time and space. Fredo was closest and therefore must culpable but the whole team seemed to assume the ball was going out and focused on the next corner instead of charging the ball.
Pre-game notes
  • I'm making a point to pre-game on Arthur Ave this season.
  • Dinner at Full Moon. Garlic knots are exactly what this delicacy should be. Perfect chewy consistency. Slices - buffalo chicken, sausage and peppers, pepperoni, spinach and mushroom. Full Moon produces one of the best thin crispy crusts you will find. Remarkably consistent throughout large sized slices. The meat slices were the winners because of flavor. The veggie needed some parm or salt to save it from blandness.
  • Dessert at Gino's. Cannolis and dannolis (warm donuts filled with cannoli cream). OMG, dannolis, where have you been all my life?? Fan-freakin-tastic!!!

Weird vibe last night. 234 was missing almost all of the usual cast of characters, so it was fairly quiet. No Bieber song for the first time in a while.

It was interesting to watch another team dominate possession at times on us at home. I thought the game had several periods where we had the advantage and others where AUFC had it. We should have done more with being a man up.

Please, James Sands, don't be badly injured.

I hope that our new stadium will have more of a vibe like Citi Field, because Yankee Stadium just feels soulless.

Reactions: JCMore
it was a weird crowd for 20K. People were doing the wave around the 80th min and continue until near the end. I understand the game wasn’t a nail bitter but there was no need for the wave.

Reactions: GratefulDawg
I don’t have time to look today but I do remember noticing that we did quite well during at least some stretches without Maxi. But I’m less sure that was true overall. But also we should be more dangerous than this, I think.

Barraza made at least 2 good saves, not just one. One on an earlier corner, and another on a shot by Almada just before the corner where they scored. And I don’t se how to fault him for the goal. There was a corner, and the first ball rebounded back to the same corner and Almada walked it in about 5 yards before serving it in again a few yards from the end line. Luis had to and did defend the near post. Service went to the far end and the shot came from point blank and hit the cross bar before going in. We’ve conceded 8 goals in 7 games, many off set pieces. Our open play defending and goalkeeping are outstanding. I do wonder why we spent a few hundred grand on a bench keeper.

Segel’s little flick on the pass from Talles was very nicely done. That type of shot goes in, or not, as a matter of luck. Shame,
I reviewed the goal when I got home and you’re right: tough to fault Barraza on that, though his footwork on both that and the other corner save was awkward at best. I think he made the corner save look more spectacular than it should have. As for his stop on Almada it was a good save but Almada placed it poorly (as did Segal on his attempt — both probably should have been goals). Barraza is no liability IMHO but he was definitely outplayed by Guzan.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I reviewed the goal when I got home and you’re right: tough to fault Barraza on that, though his footwork on both that and the other corner save was awkward at best. I think he made the corner save look more spectacular than it should have. As for his stop on Almada it was a good save but Almada placed it poorly (as did Segal on his attempt — both probably should have been goals). Barraza is no liability IMHO but he was definitely outplayed by Guzan.

i thought the goal we conceded was purely because we were asleep on the play. the ball did not go out and all our guys assumed it did or was going to. almada picked it up and started dribbling toward goal 10 yards before anybody realized what was going on and by then it was too late.

Based on the match thread on Reddit, Atlanta fans are vying for most obnoxious MLS fans again. A few years of mediocrity tempered them, but that seems to be over.
LionNYC LionNYC i upvoted your grass comment for all the good it did.

Reactions: LionNYC
Based on the match thread on Reddit, Atlanta fans are vying for most obnoxious MLS fans again. A few years of mediocrity tempered them, but that seems to be over.
LionNYC LionNYC i upvoted your grass comment for all the good it did.
I only recently got into the habit of checking the match thread on r/mls. My thought after literally 2 minutes was shut the F up.

I only recently got into the habit of checking the match thread on r/mls. My thought after literally 2 minutes was shut the F up.
The match threads are usually rather good natured. There’s smack talk but it’s friendly .But the Atlanta fans were obnoxious and mass downvoted any dissenting comments.

Reactions: JCMore
yup.. 2 smiles = bad. we need our single parks smile among death stares back.

FtSNUwXWwAEAZpx