MLS - April 8 - Atlanta (Home)

re: gabby not starting

cushing seems to explain it as gabby is not ready for 90 mins yet because he came into preseason too late.

but he was good enough to start a few games ago? weird how that works.

What was their take?
To amplify what JCMore JCMore said, the field complaints were unending. It wasn’t just a few top level comments with sub comments and upvotes. It was dozens of repetitive complaints and baseball jokes. Dozens of complaints about the red card with claims we used oil money to pay the officials. Multiple “fuck right off” comments when they scored, because they were sticking it to the man and righting an injustice. And any contrary opinions were downvoted severely. They left no room for interplay between the fanbases or even for neutrals. They have their own subreddit for that crap.

Reactions: adam
I forgot to add that I saw Sunil Gulati, former head of the USSF, walk up to the Suite entrance of YS before the game. He was by himself and looked very unassuming.
He’s currently footballing job is dealing with FFP at UEFA. And he’s still a professor at Columbia. What time did you see him?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
A note on Ledezma / Cushing.

For the first 60 minutes of the match Segal and Santi pretty consistently pressed together. It was coordinated and the wingers followed their press. For the last 30 minutes of the match, after Ledezma came in for Segal, the press fell apart. Ledezma mostly dropped back while Santi pressed alone and ineffectively. He occupied none of the same space that Segal did. While Atlanta went down to 10 men Ledezma took down the pressure.

Maybe a natural striker would have done better. But Cushing has to know ahead of the game who he might sub for Segal. He has to have them prepared for this role.

When we talk about why we didn't take better advantage of the red card, for me, this is it. And yes, I agree that red cards aren't automatic open doors to goal. But if you are a team that presses and you stop doing so after the red, something is wrong. This seemed like a coaching fail to me.

Reactions: 413Blue
re: gabby not starting

cushing seems to explain it as gabby is not ready for 90 mins yet because he came into preseason too late.

but he was good enough to start a few games ago? weird how that works.
Maybe Cushing thought that several games ago and realized he was wrong

Reactions: Revfugee
Oof… I know it’s a coincidence but it’s tough to watch our team cause long term injuries to our opponents. First Peligrini to the Inter Miami captain and now Segal on Guzan… that’s tough

Oof… I know it’s a coincidence but it’s tough to watch our team cause long term injuries to our opponents. First Peligrini to the Inter Miami captain and now Segal on Guzan… that’s tough
Atlanta's coach and fans are very upset that Segal did not even get a foul and they think he should have gotten a yellow. I don't see it. It was a very bang bang play and arguably the Atlanta defender helped launch Segal into Guzan. But honestly we'd be calling for a card on that play if it were our keeper, so fair enough.
OTOH they're deluded (the fans, not Pineda) in claiming the Sands play should have been dual reds or yellows.

Atlanta's coach and fans are very upset that Segal did not even get a foul and they think he should have gotten a yellow. I don't see it. It was a very bang bang play and arguably the Atlanta defender helped launch Segal into Guzan. But honestly we'd be calling for a card on that play if it were our keeper, so fair enough.
OTOH they're deluded (the fans, not Pineda) in claiming the Sands play should have been dual reds or yellows.
I agree with all of this. Segal didn’t know where guzan was. I think it was 2 players going for the ball in a 50/50 challenge. Maybe because it’s the goal keeper Guzan should have special rules to protect him from the challenge. But to me it seemed similar to a QB leaving the pocket and electing to run the ball. All fair game.

In regards to Sand, I think if he hadn’t gotten that accidental toe poke there could be some what of an arguement. But he had studs into his leg. That’s should be and was rightly rewarded a red card. I really liked being able to see the VAR check at home and see what was going to happen with the reversal and the red while everyone in the stadium had no idea what was going on. It was awesome hearing the crowds collective confusion and then the shock of the send off and the cheering.

Last thought on sands, I thought it was a bit immature of him to stay on the field and have the team burn two sub windows in a row. I feel like he should have know that he wasnt able to continue and sub himself off when the other subs were being put on. But I do appreciate him trying to play through it. Just kinda immature to not look at the bigger picture. Especially as the teams captain

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Did anyone catch what song they played immediately after the final whistle?

Glenn Crook's radio partner Matt Lawrence was livid over the Sands play, and repeatedly called it a "cowardly" challenge by Ibarra. He explained that when you are in a play like that and see it develop you tend to want to raise your foot so you don't get stepped on, or kicked, or raked, but in doing so you make it very likely you will rake or stomp on your opponent. So giving in to that impulse is, in his opinion, cowardly. He got more angry with every replay and barely started to calm down when the VAR review took place and the red card was issued.

Glenn Crook's radio partner Matt Lawrence was livid over the Sands play, and repeatedly called it a "cowardly" challenge by Ibarra. He explained that when you are in a play like that and see it develop you tend to want to raise your foot so you don't get stepped on, or kicked, or raked, but in doing so you make it very likely you will rake or stomp on your opponent. So giving in to that impulse is, in his opinion, cowardly. He got more angry with every replay and barely started to calm down when the VAR review took place and the red card was issued.

i enjoy matty's calls. he calls it exactly how it is and his insights are spot on. a great complement to crooks who calls the wrong name more than joe did w/o the funny ay caramba commentary :D

Reactions: Joe_Cos
A note on Ledezma / Cushing.

For the first 60 minutes of the match Segal and Santi pretty consistently pressed together. It was coordinated and the wingers followed their press. For the last 30 minutes of the match, after Ledezma came in for Segal, the press fell apart. Ledezma mostly dropped back while Santi pressed alone and ineffectively. He occupied none of the same space that Segal did. While Atlanta went down to 10 men Ledezma took down the pressure.

Maybe a natural striker would have done better. But Cushing has to know ahead of the game who he might sub for Segal. He has to have them prepared for this role.

When we talk about why we didn't take better advantage of the red card, for me, this is it. And yes, I agree that red cards aren't automatic open doors to goal. But if you are a team that presses and you stop doing so after the red, something is wrong. This seemed like a coaching fail to me.

The other player who slacks off in the press and makes it less effective is Magno. We go for long stretches where we only press high effectively when the ball is on the right side of our formation. The only time Magno gives full effort in the press is if he makes a mistake and turns the ball over.

I sometimes think we would be better off with Magno on the bench and some combination of Santi, Peligrini, Segal, Pereira, and Jasson playing up top and just going all out on the high press. At least until we get a true #9 to help open up the space Magno needs to operate we might score more goals just going full press and trying to grab a few easy goals off turnovers.

I really liked being able to see the VAR check at home and see what was going to happen with the reversal and the red while everyone in the stadium had no idea what was going on. It was awesome hearing the crowds collective confusion and then the shock of the send off and the cheering.
Add to that the further in stadium confusion when he showed the red twice due to mistaken identity.

I agree with all of this. Segal didn’t know where guzan was. I think it was 2 players going for the ball in a 50/50 challenge. Maybe because it’s the goal keeper Guzan should have special rules to protect him from the challenge. But to me it seemed similar to a QB leaving the pocket and electing to run the ball. All fair game.

In regards to Sand, I think if he hadn’t gotten that accidental toe poke there could be some what of an arguement. But he had studs into his leg. That’s should be and was rightly rewarded a red card. I really liked being able to see the VAR check at home and see what was going to happen with the reversal and the red while everyone in the stadium had no idea what was going on. It was awesome hearing the crowds collective confusion and then the shock of the send off and the cheering.

Last thought on sands, I thought it was a bit immature of him to stay on the field and have the team burn two sub windows in a row. I feel like he should have know that he wasnt able to continue and sub himself off when the other subs were being put on. But I do appreciate him trying to play through it. Just kinda immature to not look at the bigger picture. Especially as the teams captain
It was a foul - and I had thought Fischer actually called a foul at the time. Either way, it was Atlanta's ball on the restart.

It wasn't anything more than a foul for the reasons you mention - Segal playing for the ball and being pushed from behind. It's just terrible luck, and I feel bad for Guzan.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
It was a foul - and I had thought Fischer actually called a foul at the time. Either way, it was Atlanta's ball on the restart.

It wasn't anything more than a foul for the reasons you mention - Segal playing for the ball and being pushed from behind. It's just terrible luck, and I feel bad for Guzan.
I’ve been wondering about this phenomenon that being pushed from behind is a completely innocuous act. I haven’t analyzed/watched the Segal /Guzman play since I saw it live sitting behind the goal where it happened. I wondered at that time “did Segal get pushed into Guzan? Guzan should maybe be paused at his own teammate.”
It seems like there is just some acceptance that getting pushed from behind is part of the game. I find it kind of weird. I think that it’s actually illegal in American football.
But again as far as the Segal Guzman play, not sure how much the Atlanta defender propelled Segal into Guzan.