MLS - August 18 - Philadelphia (Away)

Top teams get a draw out of a game like tonight. Case in point - what did the top 3 teams in MLS do tonight:

revs - win at home (ok, nothing special…but are eight unbeaten now)
Seattle - win on the road
sporting KC - tie on the road (coming from behind)

NYCFC has to do better on the road. Turn losses into ties and ties into wins. The team’s last road win? 2-1 vs LAFC in May. It’s mid-August.

We were one defensive lapse away from 0-0… honestly just throw this result away and look forward to away at Red Bull

The lack of any passer/creator in midfield did us in. Sands and Acevedo would be fine if it wasn't Medina at the 10. He's had an improved year, but nearly every attack that went to his Paraguayan feet just died. ITS didn't do much either, don't remember too many runs or shots coming from him.

I was hoping for Malte but he's had two BAD games in a row now. Maybe he just needs some time, or he doesn't like/understand playing in humidity? Looks like Gudi will be our #1 LB for the next few weeks.

Santi looked bright again, as did Sands. Memory like a goldfish, onto the derby.

The lack of any passer/creator in midfield did us in. Sands and Acevedo would be fine if it wasn't Medina at the 10. He's had an improved year, but nearly every attack that went to his Paraguayan feet just died. ITS didn't do much either, don't remember too many runs or shots coming from him.

I was hoping for Malte but he's had two BAD games in a row now. Maybe he just needs some time, or he doesn't like/understand playing in humidity? Looks like Gudi will be our #1 LB for the next few weeks.

Santi looked bright again, as did Sands. Memory like a goldfish, onto the derby.

Agreed Medina really holds us back when he's in the middle. I would have liked to see a swap with Santi moving inside and Medina out on the wing to see if Santi could have unlocked things a bit more.

Malte looked gassed early in the 2nd half. Ronny was subbing him out at the time of the goal. If it happens 30 seconds earlier, I think Gudi is there to stop it.

Philly defended really well - have to give them credit. They were very disruptive. It helped that they were bunkering to a certain extent. We needed to get that extra pass to open them up but easier said than done sometimes.

Top teams get a draw out of a game like tonight. Case in point - what did the top 3 teams in MLS do tonight:

revs - win at home (ok, nothing special…but are eight unbeaten now)
Seattle - win on the road
sporting KC - tie on the road (coming from behind)

NYCFC has to do better on the road. Turn losses into ties and ties into wins. The team’s last road win? 2-1 vs LAFC in May. It’s mid-August.

Your patience will be rewarded in 2 days.

Malte looked gassed early in the 2nd half. Ronny was subbing him out at the time of the goal. If it happens 30 seconds earlier, I think Gudi is there to stop it.

Philly defended really well - have to give them credit. They were very disruptive. It helped that they were bunkering to a certain extent. We needed to get that extra pass to open them up but easier said than done sometimes.
Right, it was a frustrating game, but these things happen on the road to good teams. Philly is a good team and very well coached.

Was hoping Malte would have been subbed off at the half. Was also mentioning around the 60', that perhaps a move to switch to 3 ATB would be better. Philly was torching the NYC defensive left side and sliding Callens further that way could have helped more.

But I'm also not going to roast Ronny for those two items. Philly had limited chances generally.

I do like that Malte owned up to his allowing the goal in the post game press conference.

Agreed Medina really holds us back when he's in the middle. I would have liked to see a swap with Santi moving inside and Medina out on the wing to see if Santi could have unlocked things a bit more.

This. And...

I'm not sure resting Maxi and Parks in the same game was effective.

This.

Even the greatest critic would admit Medina has improved this year. However, he needs to be in the proper position. When he is the sole attacking midfielder in the middle - as he was last night with Sands and Acevedo - he is too slow to react to defenders coming from multiple angles, and still not quite strong enough to handle a physical challenge. Alternatively, as a wing, he doesn't have the speed (Thiago) or moves (Isi) to thrive. Medina has a role, but he is best when he can be the second creative midfielder (paired with Maxi or Parks).

I'll stand corrected if someone analytical posts a heat map showing otherwise, but I believe that if Santi and Medina had switched positions (gbservis), the result could have been different.

Overall, an even game against a top 10 squad. It is never fun to lose, but I can live with a loss that comes down to one mistake rather than a team wide failure.

Even the greatest critic would admit Medina has improved this year. However, he needs to be in the proper position. When he is the sole attacking midfielder in the middle - as he was last night with Sands and Acevedo - he is too slow to react to defenders coming from multiple angles, and still not quite strong enough to handle a physical challenge. Alternatively, as a wing, he doesn't have the speed (Thiago) or moves (Isi) to thrive. Medina has a role, but he is best when he can be the second creative midfielder (paired with Maxi or Parks).

I'll stand corrected if someone analytical posts a heat map showing otherwise, but I believe that if Santi and Medina had switched positions (gbservis), the result could have been different.

Overall, an even game against a top 10 squad. It is never fun to lose, but I can live with a loss that comes down to one mistake rather than a team wide failure.
This is a very good point. I initially wanted Medina at RW, Santi in the middle, and Thiago at LW to start the game.

Ronny in the post-game mentioned Santi wasn't starting at the 10 because he doesn't quite have familiarity there for what he needs to do defensively.

But then Ronny also mentioned that Philly has been incredibly right-sided this season and they knew that going in. We know that one of Medina's strengths is his defensive pressure, so I'm curious as to if the better move would have been to have Medina at LW (which is usually a position he isn't the best at offensively) to help out with the anticipated pressure Philly would provide on that side.

Bit off topic, what’s the deal with DOOP? And what does it have to do with Philly Union?

Only somewhat related but I went to the game in person last night and one noticeable thing was how similar their chants are to ours. They had come on you boys in blue, their version of hey baby, and a few others I can't remember now. I know there is often overlap in chants across the soccer world but it seems oddly high, was an early supporters group leader an ex-philly fan or something?

Reactions: Schwallacus
Only somewhat related but I went to the game in person last night and one noticeable thing was how similar their chants are to ours. They had come on you boys in blue, their version of hey baby, and a few others I can't remember now. I know there is often overlap in chants across the soccer world but it seems oddly high, was an early supporters group leader an ex-philly fan or something?
I've heard the "come on you boys in [insert color]" and several of the spanish chants several other places.

The website on a regular computer browser made my eyes want to bleed. Woof that was ugly. And tbh doop seems pretty dumb after all that.

The website on a regular computer browser made my eyes want to bleed. Woof that was ugly. And tbh doop seems pretty dumb after all that.
Agree about the site, that was bad. Disagree about the doop, I find it catchy and love that it came from a Europop/techno song. That's the kind of shit we need. Similar to "Allez allez allez" that Napoli/Liverpool/all of Europe has.

Reactions: JCMore