Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Philadelphia Union vs. New York City FC
Wednesday, August 18 7:30 PM ET
Subaru Park
YES Network App

As a reminder for tomorrow this game is available on the YES App (for cable subscribers) and ESPN+ (for those out of the local market)

Reactions: Kjbert
This is becoming quite the trend FFS.

Yes, we as fans we cannot have the front office normalize games only being streamed on the YES App (unless it can be available to everyone without blackout restrictions or a cable subscriptions, which would be a good way to grow the fanbase).

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
This is becoming quite the trend FFS.
Yes, we as fans we cannot have the front office normalize games only being streamed on the YES App (unless it can be available to everyone without blackout restrictions or a cable subscriptions, which would be a good way to grow the fanbase).
Is it really worse this year than it has been every year (used to be Fox Sports app, but same idea)? Especially when you account for both MLB and MLS schedules being more congested because of starting weeks later than usual. That will generate more conflicts, just as it made many fewer dates available for games at YS.

That said, what exactly is the point of YES2?

Games on YES are only available to cable subscribers. If you pay for cable in the NY market, you get YES and their app. If you don't pay for YES, then stop whining about not being able to get an expensive product for free.

Is it really worse this year than it has been every year (used to be Fox Sports app, but same idea)? Especially when you account for both MLB and MLS schedules being more congested because of starting weeks later than usual. That will generate more conflicts, just as it made many fewer dates available for games at YS.

That said, what exactly is the point of YES2?

Considering YES is televising 30 of our games this year, it's amazing how few games are streaming only. The team clearly made a conscious decision to alter start times as much as possible so as not to conflict with Yankees games.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Games on YES are only available to cable subscribers. If you pay for cable in the NY market, you get YES and their app. If you don't pay for YES, then stop whining about not being able to get an expensive product for free.

I seem to remember reading that people were having trouble getting the app to work correct or that the app spoiled the game because it showed the score for replays. that's not cool.

i don't know if the app lets you cast the stream to your TV Or not, but if it doesn't, that would be my biggest problem with it.

From what I hear the main reasons people complain about YES is that:

1. In general, many consumers pretty much think YES sucks.

2. NYCFC fans think yes sucks in how they handle broadcasting NYCFC.

3. Blackouts suck because they don’t do anything to help grow the team or the league.

4. The Head honchos at FUBO, HULU, SLING probably think YES sucks because otherwise YES would be part of at least one of those companies online packages.

5. And the YES App. Sucks according to people.

Seems like there is some merit to the opinion that YES sucks.

Reactions: danger

3. Blackouts suck because they don’t do anything to help grow the team or the league.

4. The Head honchos at FUBO, HULU, SLING probably think YES sucks because otherwise YES would be part of at least one of those companies online packages.

6. Joe Tolleson saying "Thiago Andrade" every time he touches the ball and not just "Thiago"

Does YES get any credit for improving its coverage since last year? Preview shows, postseason preview shows, NYCFC shows during the pandemic. It does seem like they're at least making an effort.

Yankees fans don't think YES sucks, and I don't think Nets fans do either.

Blackouts aren't YES's fault, they're MLS's fault.

And as for the app, if you have a smart TV the app can be downloaded directly onto your TV. So, for example, I have a Roku TV and if I want to watch the YES app games I turn my TV on, go to the YES app, and watch the game on my TV. You forget you're even watching it on a stream.

I'm not saying there isn't reason to be frustrated with YES -- there certainly is. But I do feel like we're a little harder on YES in this arena than is probably reasonable.

Last edited:
6. Joe Tolleson saying "Thiago Andrade" every time he touches the ball and not just "Thiago"
To be fair, it's super fun to say and I don't blame him.
When Héber showed up, it took a few goals before the Yankee Stadium announcer and crowd figured how to handle the call and response when he scored. For everyone else the announcer would say the first name and pause for the crowd to shout the last name. Soon enough everyone worked out that the way to handle it was for the announcer to pause before the name and then everyone yells "HEBER!"

This year, it seems the whole goal name thing is getting less fan participation, for all players, and so far, nobody knows what to do with Thiago [Andrade].

Also I agree with Shwafta Shwafta - I like saying and hearing the name Thiago Andrade, and it would work great in the goal scoring call/response. Héber Araujo dos Santos is a mouthful, and Thiago is entitled to be Thiago if that's his preference, but if Tolleson likes to say the full name, let it rip. I wonder if Tolleson even asked if it was OK. It seems like the kind of thing he would do.

Does YES get any credit for improving its coverage since last year? Preview shows, postseason preview shows, NYCFC shows during the pandemic. It does seem like they're at least making an effort.

Yankees fans don't think YES sucks, and I don't think Nets fans do either.

Blackouts aren't YES's fault, they're MLS's fault.

And as for the app, if you have a smart TV the app can be downloaded directly onto your TV. So, for example, I have a Roku TV and if I want to watch the YES app games I turn my TV on, go to the YES app, and watch the game on my TV. You forget you're even watching it on a stream.

I'm not saying there isn't reason to be frustrated with YES -- there certainly is. But I do feel like we're a little harder on YES in this arena than is probably reasonable.
There is no Yes app for Fire TV or for my Vizio TV (Smartcast). Yes is a very substandard ecosystem especially for being behind a paywall, which should theoretically provide a BETTER experience than a an actual free over the air broadcast, which is how I watched the last game against New England when I was visiting family up there and how I’ll watch tonight’s match from South Jersey.

I pay for Cable because sports. But MSG, for example, is far better (though it still has its own frustrating challenges). Bottom line: Yes does indeed suck.

Time for some roster rotation.

View attachment 11365
I think Maxi could probably use a little rest, would like to see Santi start for him at the 10.

I do agree that we'll see Sands in the double pivot. I think Ronny really likes the 4-2-3-1 lately (especially since 3 ATB doesn't suit well for Thiago or ITS) but going against Philly's 4-4-2 diamond, the flexibility to be able to switch to 3 ATB will be nice to have, so Sands in the midfield and he can drop back later in the game if needed.

Time for some roster rotation.

View attachment 11365
It's funny. That lineup is quite rotated from last game, but every one of those players has started more than half of the games this season. I think if Ronny really wants rotation we see some other changes.

ETA: Probably something like what SoupInNYC SoupInNYC posted while I was composing, plus I'm wondering if Thiago gets the nod over Shradi.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
It's funny. That lineup is quite rotated from last game, but every one of those players has started more than half of the games this season. I think if Ronny really wants rotation we see some other changes.

ETA: Probably something like what SoupInNYC SoupInNYC posted while I was composing, plus I'm wondering if Thiago gets the nod over Shradi.
Yeah, I think I'd go with Thiago at LW, Taty at ST, Medina at RW, Santi at 10, and then everything else the same as Gotham Gator Gotham Gator has it.

I may even consider starting Jasson at LW in this one and subbing him out at the half.