Mls Backing Mn United Fc For Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The emphasis appears to be in relation to the competing Minnesota Vikings bid and not relative to San Antonio / Sacramento / Miami. I have to believe Sacramento will get one MLS franchise for sure. I wonder when / if the heat will be turned up on Beckham re Miami?

The issue is

1- existing NASL team, backed by billionaire owner and owners of MN MLB & NBA teams trying to build a open-air grass soccer stadium

Vs

2- NFL vikings owners who already have a closed dome FieldTurf 70k+ stadium under construction who want MLS team as secondary tennant.

Reactions: Kubah
Really not surprising. They've been saying since day one that MLS is their end goal. And their owner is loaded.

Indy Eleven will probably be the next team after them.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Really not surprising. They've been saying since day one that MLS is their end goal. And their owner is loaded.

Indy Eleven will probably be the next team after them.
If they expand to 28 I think it would be a good idea to do 1 more American team and 3 more Canadian teams. And then stop expanding for a long time and keep it there.

If they expand to 28 I think it would be a good idea to do 1 more American team and 3 more Canadian teams. And then stop expanding for a long time and keep it there.
I think 30 is probably the end goal. But I do wish they'd stop for awhile and instead focus on improving the teams that are already here. I think having so many new teams in such a short period of time runs the risk of diluting the league a bit.

I think MLS realizes there is a formula for success in taking in existing clubs.

Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Orlando....I think the fans really get a charge off the feeling that they helped the club climb up and I think MLS is more than happy to reward that.

Minnesota United is another excellent club like those clubs, well run, rooted in the community, glad they are going in this direction.

Reactions: Kjbert
Their uniforms are very Oregon-esque
20130730-221913.jpg

No way they do 3 more Canadian teams. Only non-Canadian team I've heard of is in Edmonton. Canada can support hockey teams in its smaller cities, but I think MLS has maxed out the big markets and should focus South of the border for the time being.

Reactions: Gene
No way they do 3 more Canadian teams. Only non-Canadian team I've heard of is in Edmonton. Canada can support hockey teams in its smaller cities, but I think MLS has maxed out the big markets and should focus South of the border for the time being.
I think you do to get the Canadian money.

I think you do to get the Canadian money.

Worth noting that at 3 MLS is already the highest number of Canadian teams in North America (outside of the NHL of course):

NFL-0
MLB-1 (Montreal team moved; some talk of a return)
NBA-1 (Vancouver team moved)

So I'm not sure the experience of the other leagues suggests we need to continue Canadian expansion.

Worth noting that at 3 MLS is already the highest number of Canadian teams in North America (outside of the NHL of course):

NFL-0
MLB-1 (Montreal team moved; some talk of a return)
NBA-1 (Vancouver team moved)

So I'm not sure the experience of the other leagues suggests we need to continue Canadian expansion.
Yeah I'm just thinking MLS is suppose to service the us and Canada, looking at the money TSN and rogers give the NHL, why not pick up 3 more cities that can support it.

There's only 1 more Canadian city I think that has a shot at MLS : Calgary
Calgary-Makeup-School.jpg

I think its the 4th largest Canadian city. The Canadian Soccer Association is pretty pissed off at MLS, so it might be no more Canadian cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.