Mls Backing Mn United Fc For Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sacramento hopefully gets it next they deserve it, hoping MLS doesn't go overboard and add way too many teams. Looks like 30 is the target number of clubs, I perfer they stop at 24 or 26 but that's not gonna happen.

If the leagues actually goes through with Minnesota United I will be very surprised. The league has shown that it likes partnering with NFL ownerships and stadiums.
The league has also shown that it prefers to partner with groups who have a proven history and a stadium plan. The exceptions: NYCFC- I believe the league was confident that they had a viable plan in place for a stadium, but they were so committed to getting into NYC that they were willing to partner with a very powerful and well-funded group. Atlanta- Arthur Blank has a very good track record, plus Atlanta is a very desirable market. The stadium situation does not look horrible, as it has worked in Vancouver. Seattle- The Sounders had a pretty good track record and they built a pretty powerful group of mostly independent owners. Prior to that point, it was MLS 1.0 so that should all be forgotten lol!
In Minnesota, I think the league was not nearly as eager to work with the Wilf's, who are not nearly as well respected as Blank. Having a viable alternative (which does not appear to have been present in other markets) made it easy for the league to pass up on that opportunity.

1- the league said they want to be at 24 by 2020
2- if they are at 25 at 2019, the still means they hit 24 before 2020
3- Garber has been on the record that they will expand past 24
4- USA & Canada is a big place with a lot of people, certainly more than any Euro league (yes even Russia)
5- MLS loves Expansion Checks

Therefore, logic dictates if there are more great markets, with great owners and great big fat checks ready to go, MLS will keep growing until it makes sense not to.

The league has doubled in the last 10 years and the on-field game play has only improved. There is little chance of dilution. Not with a global market and some simple roster rules that can help it if it becomes a problem.

Reactions: S1ARK5 and Kjbert
Minnesota United? Oh my.......

A couple of years ago I was posting on a forum called usldiscussions.com It was a pretty good site that covered the lower divisions. Unfortunately the guy who ran the boards recently closed it down. With our affiliation with Wilmington it would have been an excellent place to follow USL, but I digress.......

The site was mostly frequented by United fans and from time to time I would go toe to toe with a couple of them. You know the types; the grassroots, organic, authentic guys that would never want their team to be part of the evil, ass sucking, single entity MLS.

Wonder where these guys are now? I'd love to say hello.

Reactions: SayWhat44
The open roof stadium is interesting in Minnesota. Freezing cold into the end of April.

And in the summer there are millions of gnats.

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
MLS will end up with 30-32 teams like all other major leagues.. It´s simply dictated by TV-markets many says.

Reactions: Kjbert
1- the league said they want to be at 24 by 2020
2- if they are at 25 at 2019, the still means they hit 24 before 2020
3- Garber has been on the record that they will expand past 24
4- USA & Canada is a big place with a lot of people, certainly more than any Euro league (yes even Russia)
5- MLS loves Expansion Checks

Therefore, logic dictates if there are more great markets, with great owners and great big fat checks ready to go, MLS will keep growing until it makes sense not to.

The league has doubled in the last 10 years and the on-field game play has only improved. There is little chance of dilution. Not with a global market and some simple roster rules that can help it if it becomes a problem.
Very well said.

MLS will end up with 30-32 teams like all other major leagues.. It´s simply dictated by TV-markets many says.

Pretty much thats how it will be.

Here is a list of the top 50 media markets in the usa

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Market_Profiles_Nielsen_Household_DMA_Ranks2.pdf

The bold cities are the ones with MLS markets as of today.

Bold italics are the ones most likely in contention for teams 23 & 24.

• 1 New York, NY x 2 teams
  • 2 Los Angeles, CA x 2 teams
  • 3 Chicago, IL
  • 4 Philadelphia, PA
  • 5 Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
  • 6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose, CA
  • 7 Boston (Manchester), MA
  • 8 Washington, DC
  • 9 Atlanta, GA
  • 10 Houston, TX
  • 11 Detroit, MI
  • 12 Seattle-Tacoma, WA
  • 13 Phoenix (Prescott), AZ
  • 14 Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota), FL
  • 15 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
  • 16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  • 17 Denver, CO
  • 18 Cleveland Akron (Canton), OH
  • 19 Orlando-Daytona Bch-Melbrn, FL
  • 20 Sacramnto-Stkton-Modesto, CA
  • 21 St. Louis, MO
  • 22 Portland, OR
  • 23 Pittsburgh, PA
  • 24 Raleigh-Durham (Fayetvlle), NC
  • 25 Charlotte , NC
  • 26 Indianapolis, IN
  • 27 Baltimore, MD
  • 28 San Diego, CA
  • 29 Nashville, TN
  • 30 Hartford & New Haven, CT
  • 31 Kansas City, KS
  • 32 Columbus, OH
  • 33 Salt Lake City
  • 34 Milwaukee, WI
  • 35 Cincinnati, OH
  • 36 San Antonio, TX
  • 37 Greenvll-Spart-Ashevll-And, NC
  • 38 West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, FL
  • 39 Grand Rapids-Kalmzoo-B.Crk, MI
  • 40 Las Vegas, NV
  • 41 Oklahoma City
  • 42 Birmingham (Ann and Tusc)
  • 43 Harrisburg-Lncstr-Leb-York, PA
  • 44 Norfolk-Portsmth-Newpt Nws, VA
  • 45 Austin, TX
  • 46 Greensboro-H.Point-W.Salem, NC
  • 47 Albuquerque-Santa Fe, NM
  • 48 Louisville, KY
  • 49 Memphis, TN
  • 50 Jacksonville, FL

Expect teams 25-32 to come from this list, most likely from the top 40 of the list.

I think teams 23-28 will be :

23/Sacramento
24/Minneapolis
25/Miami
26/St Louis
27/Indianapolis
28/San Antonio

Also The Carolinas is one spot on the USA map that im sure MLS would like to have a team.

Reactions: Kjbert
There will be a team in the Carolinas. They have reviewed that before. And they want more expansion in the SE.

St. Louis is a fantastic sports town and has great soccer history from what I understand.

And Indy Eleven is getting a beautiful new stadium. Seems like a slam dunk.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...-united-will-evalute-expansion-past-24-teams/

A "expert's" list:
St. Louis, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Indianapolis and a city in North Carolina, bringing the total to 30 teams.

Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte would seem to be the front runners for NC.

Do you think they will divide the country in two - East and West - to have two divisions of 15 - with teams playing 28 within the division and then 4 to 8 intra-division games in order to cut down on travel and build more rivalries .... with the two division playoff champions meeting in MLS cup?

Yeah has to be Raleigh or Charlotte. But I've been hearing 3 divisions most recently. Who knows. MLS seems to like 2 big conferences. They had 3 for a short while but they haven't been too keen on recreating it.

Pretty much thats how it will be.

I think teams 23-28 will be :

23/Sacramento
24/Minneapolis
25/Miami
26/St Louis
27/Indianapolis
28/San Antonio

Also The Carolinas is one spot on the USA map that im sure MLS would like to have a team.

It's looking like the Rams are moving back to there true home in LA, which would take St.Louis out the picture for an MLS team cause there stadium plan depends on the Rams Staying which isn't likely.

It's looking like the Rams are moving back to there true home in LA, which would take St.Louis out the picture for an MLS team cause there stadium plan depends on the Rams Staying which isn't likely.
Recent news out of St Louis suggest they already have give up on keeping the Rams but are still going to build a stadium so they can steal the Chargers or Raiders who also are unhappy with stadium situation. Part of that plan includes convincing MLS to move in as well.

Recent news out of St Louis suggest they already have give up on keeping the Rams but are still going to build a stadium so they can steal the Chargers or Raiders who also are unhappy with stadium situation. Part of that plan includes convincing MLS to move in as well.
Yeah I read that, the raiders are holding talks with san Antonio, and la will get to teams. If STL want a MLS team they need to have and MLS stadium not factoring NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.