Mls Backing Mn United Fc For Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm just thinking MLS is suppose to service the us and Canada, looking at the money TSN and rogers give the NHL, why not pick up 3 more cities that can support it.[/QU
There's only 1 more Canadian city I think that has a shot at MLS : Calgary
Calgary-Makeup-School.jpg

I think its the 4th largest Canadian city. The Canadian Soccer Association is pretty pissed off at MLS, so it might be no more Canadian cities.

Why is CSA pissed off at MLS? I would love Calgary or Edmonton, Quebec City and Halifax to get MLS teams. (I know I am dreaming...)

Why is CSA pissed off at MLS? I would love Calgary or Edmonton, Quebec City and Halifax to get MLS teams. (I know I am dreaming...)

MLS has rules that Canadians on US teams count as international players, while Americans on Canadian teams are domestic players.

There's only so many international player slots and your're mandated to carry X number of domestic players.

Essentially American players are guaranteed spots on every team -- even Canadian ones. But Canadians are only assured of spots on the Canadian teams and must compete with players all over the world for valuable spots on US teams...

I'm really hoping Miami gets pushed out for now. Sacramento really deserves their bid, and I think it's good for soccer to have more professional teams in the largest talent hotbed in the country, by far.

They should let Beckham take a step back and start from square one. Maybe he can reconsider Miami and target San Diego instead. I'd love to see him use his star power down there to take some focus off the Xolos.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
I'm really hoping Miami gets pushed out for now. Sacramento really deserves their bid, and I think it's good for soccer to have more professional teams in the largest talent hotbed in the country, by far.

They should let Beckham take a step back and start from square one. Maybe he can reconsider Miami and target San Diego instead. I'd love to see him use his star power down there to take some focus off the Xolos.
Oooh that's a good thought.

Part of the reason I'm not high on Sacramento is I want San Diego and San Francisco. San Jose vs. San Francisco would be a bigger rivalry than San Jose and Sacramento, I'd imagine.

But I'm totally on board with you about San Diego, between Xolos and the 2 LA clubs, there'd be no shortage or rivalries for a San Diego club. Plus, big name players probably wouldn't mind playing in a city like this:
hero-image-San-Diego-skyline-dusk.jpg

San Diego is like the Miami of the West. It's the only viable second option I can come up with for Beckham - he won't want to set up in the Midwest.

San Francisco is a long shot to get a team. It's likely too much of an encroachment into San Jose's territory - they aren't particularly happy even with Sacramento's bid. If the city wants a major league team, they'll have to go the NASL route, prove their worth in a crowded market, and then petition for promotion.

That's an added bonus to San Diego for the league - they won't necessarily be competing with the LA MLS teams for fans, rather Liga MX's Xolo's. That would be an incredible preseason derby cup too. Inter San Diego v Xolos de Tijuana!

Reactions: Kjbert
From what I remember, Beckham is bound to Miami at this point...or at least that is what the assumption is. Remember when he initially signed his big deal with the Galaxy, the league gave him an option to purchase an expansion club at a discount. The assumption that I have is that he needed to pick a city by a certain time in order to maintain that option. So when he and the league made the weird announcement that he chose Miami, but did not yet officially have an expansion franchise, he most likely exercised his option and tied himself to Miami, so he can't jump to San Diego or any other city at this point without vacating his option and paying full price.
It would not surprise me if MLS is quietly hoping that he can't meet the requirements (we don't know the details obviously, in fact i'm not sure if MLS has ever acknowledged that he had the option in his contract) so that time expires and he no longer gets a discount.

Speaking of expansion, i see mls getting to 30-32 teams of 2 conferences of 15/16 teams each

I think the clubs in the future might come out of these cities

miami
minnesota
sacramento
st louis
san antonio
san diego
carolina's
indianapolis
las vegas
phoenix
nashville
san francisco

Last edited:
I read a comment written by an angry San Antonio fan a few days ago. It went something along the lines of this, "Why can't Texas have 3 teams when all signs are pointing to California getting a 4th team? Why does everybody assume Texas can't support a 3rd team?"

What do y'all think?

I read a comment written by an angry San Antonio fan a few days ago. It went something along the lines of this, "Why can't Texas have 3 teams when all signs are pointing to California getting a 4th team? Why does everybody assume Texas can't support a 3rd team?"

What do y'all think?
I think there are already teams that are non-competitive in the current model, and MLS is drunk on expansion fees.

I'm glad to hear Minnesota is close and going with United. I just hope that stadium is financed privately and not waiting for public funds. If so they will get pushed back. Sacramento much like Orlando has an appetite for public finds unlike say miami or Minneapolis.

is 30 teams really the target for expansion? havent followed MLS but i feel that is waaaaaay too many teams. especially and the player pool will suffer greatly.

is 30 teams really the target for expansion? havent followed MLS but i feel that is waaaaaay too many teams. especially and the player pool will suffer greatly.
Some of us are just guessing, I think 28 is perfect for MLS.

What do y'all think?
Because 4 qualified expansion proposals have not come out of Texas, while 4 qualified candidates have come from Texas. MLS is not going to pick teams simply to balance states or perfectly match the population. They are going to pick the proposals that come to them.
If Texas wants more franchises, they need another ownership group to step in with a viable stadium plan and willing to pay the expansion fee.

To my knowledge, MLS has only committed to 24 teams by 2020, but as recently as 2008/09, the target was 18 MLS teams by 2011. It's true that the quality may fall if the league expands too rapidly, but to a certain extent, the labor force is somewhat fungible as MLS can decrease or expand on the international labor force to fill needs not met by American and Canadian players as the case warrants. That said, it is important that US and Canadian soccer development academies continue to improve on their abilities to identify and retain athletes and provide youth training so that the domestic soccer player pool increases as well.

The three ingredients to an MLS franchise are: 1. committed ownership; 2. ability to pay the (ever increasing) expansion fee; and 3. secure a soccer specific stadium in an urban area. In most cases, this trifecta is the golden ticket to expand more, and some cities are eager to join this bandwagon (i.e., exceeding the current MLS target). As long as more golden tickets are produced, I think more MLS franchises will continue to be granted (as long as Garber is leading the show). This is because the league is growing steadily and the benefits outweigh the risks for continued expansion at this point.

If Minnesota and Sacramento get granted the 23rd and 24th spots, that leaves Beckham out there who has the option to establish a MLS franchise (which would put MLS over the 2020 target by itself).

Last edited:
If the leagues actually goes through with Minnesota United I will be very surprised. The league has shown that it likes partnering with NFL ownerships and stadiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.