MLS Cup Playoffs - October 30 - Philadelphia (Away)

I just want to take a moment to say that the Union put on an awesome show. I had some great moments of banter with their fans and was able to show my dad how special soccer could be.

Their fans -- and even the official account -- have been complete jerks on social media. Screw them. Win with class. I hope they got smoked by LAFC on Saturday.

smile power just wasn't enough this time...

aj8rypiwyz1pcm5nrssa.jpg

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Had to sleep on this one. Happy with the team, annoyed with how we lost. Complete breakdown over the course of 5 minutes. Hurts more that it was their changes which turned the course of the whole game.
Agree with others about Nick. Give him the job, I think he earned it.
I do think the team put up a fight and that eases the pain a bit. Blake had a hell of a game. It could have easily been 3-2 the other way.
Will be an interesting offseason. In the meantime looking forward to cheering on some of our own in the World Cup.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I just want to take a moment to say that the Union put on an awesome show. I had some great moments of banter with their fans and was able to show my dad how special soccer could be.
Glad to hear this was your experience. Meanwhile, in the away supporters section, we had to dodge bottles and other objects thrown at us after their goals while security stood there with their hands in their pockets.

Glad to hear this was your experience. Meanwhile, in the away supporters section, we had to dodge bottles and other objects thrown at us after their goals while security stood there with their hands in their pockets.
I'll never understand why people have to do stuff like this. It's a damn game, for crying out loud. Lighten up. Someone can get hurt if bottles start flying.

I remember years ago, in a Patriots game at the old Sullivan Stadium (which was a zoo), someone threw a pint bottle of booze from the stands and clocked a ref in the head. Hurt him bad. That's not funny, and if it's someone's idea of fun they seriously need to get a hold of themselves and examine their life a little bit. Maybe learn how to trash talk properly so they can get their ya-yas out that way.

And security just ignoring it is ridiculous. It's literally their job to put a stop to that kind of thing.

Something tells me Michael Lewis (not the good one, this frickin' guy) doesn't like us very much.

lmao, that headline is awful

Blowing a one goal lead with half an hour to play is a farcry from a "collapse". Let alone "one for the ages".

lmao, that headline is awful

Blowing a one goal lead with half an hour to play is a farcry from a "collapse". Let alone "one for the ages".
Ridiculous, isn't it? I checked his Twitter account and the post got three likes -- one was Big Apple Soccer (which is him) and of the other two, one of the guys is from Philadelphia. It got two retweets: Big Apple Soccer again and Lewis himself. LOL

So, clickbait fail. For the ages.

TIL that Jack McGlynn is from my neighborhood. His brother Conor, who plays for Hartford, posted in a FB neighborhood group promoting their soccer training company and services. They both went through BW Gottschee Academy. Jack only makes $77.5k/$91.4k so I can see how he'd want to supplement with a side hustle. I can only imagine how little Conor makes. They do their training in the park that's 70 yards from my house.

Wondering how McGlynn ended up in the Union academy system. Wikipedia says he moved to Philadelphia and joined the Union academy in 2019 when he was 16. I don't think it was a family move. Somehow they poached him. Maybe we didn't rate him.

Conor mentioned in the post that his brother is playing in MLS Cup on Saturday and we should all watch.
People responded with congratulations.
I told them all to FRO.
Not really, but I wanted to.

TIL that Jack McGlynn is from my neighborhood. His brother Conor, who plays for Hartford, posted in a FB neighborhood group promoting their soccer training company and services. They both went through BW Gottschee Academy. Jack only makes $77.5k/$91.4k so I can see how he'd want to supplement with a side hustle. I can only imagine how little Conor makes. They do their training in the park that's 70 yards from my house.

Wondering how McGlynn ended up in the Union academy system. Wikipedia says he moved to Philadelphia and joined the Union academy in 2019 when he was 16. I don't think it was a family move. Somehow they poached him. Maybe we didn't rate him.

Conor mentioned in the post that his brother is playing in MLS Cup on Saturday and we should all watch.
People responded with congratulations.
I told them all to FRO.
Not really, but I wanted to.
My son played with Jack McGlynn in Spain in 2014. My son's club at the time (Manhattan Kickers FC) went to Barcelona to train with some local clubs, play some friendlies (including Barca) and then play in a tournament in Tarragona. MKFC had a relationship with BWG at the time and they invited Jack and one other kid whose name escapes me as reinforcements.

My family went with as a vacation and had a blast. One memorable moment: driving down with some of the other dads in a rented van to Valencia to catch the Copa del Rey final, then back up to Barca, getting back to hotel at like 3am... what a wild wild night.