MLS - July 13 - Chicago (Away)

Both Opta and ASA credit us with 8 shots (MLS says 7) and according to Opta at least, two of them arose from Ilenic's attempt that hit the post because apparently the ball grazed Martinez. Opta credits Martinez more than half of our xG of the game. I can't tell watching it. If it did deflect off him I think, purely based on the angle, that he probably sent it closer to goal so he's not accidentally responsible for denying our only goal of the game.

Imagine being a side ref and the most notable part of your job is occasionally going "Ackshually there was offside in the build up." That just sucks. Right call though.

All of NYC's ambition for the game died when Perea got hurt. Nick gets a bit of a pass on that but it's a tendency that has not done the team any favors and it is dismal to watch. Anyways, some people around the webz have been complaining we don't earn enough draws, which is absurd ironic humor at its finest, but there you go people.

Both Opta and ASA credit us with 8 shots (MLS says 7) and according to Opta at least, two of them arose from Ilenic's attempt that hit the post because apparently the ball grazed Martinez. Opta credits Martinez more than half of our xG of the game. I can't tell watching it. If it did deflect off him I think, purely based on the angle, that he probably sent it closer to goal so he's not accidentally responsible for denying our only goal of the game.

Imagine being a side ref and the most notable part of your job is occasionally going "Ackshually there was offside in the build up." That just sucks. Right call though.

All of NYC's ambition for the game died when Perea got hurt. Nick gets a bit of a pass on that but it's a tendency that has not done the team any favors and it is dismal to watch. Anyways, some people around the webz have been complaining we don't earn enough draws, which is absurd ironic humor at its finest, but there you go people.
With regards to the Ilenic shot, if you go back and watch the replay from the inside the goal cam, Martinez definitely deflects the ball with his arm tucked in to cause it to hit the post. If he hadn’t touched it, it would have gone wide of the post. Had Martinez been an inch closer to goal it would have been in, but they may very well have pulled it back because the ball came directly off his arm. But his arm was up against his body, sooo it would be up to the discretion of the ref. I think we would have felt hard done if they ruled it a hand ball, and Chicago would have felt hard done if they ruled it a goal.

I understand sticking with the game plan but Haak is not a like-for-like with Perea so the game plan was out the window at that point. Perea is a pure box to box 8, Sands and Haak both play like full-on CDMs. When Perea went down we didn't have a sub that let us stick with the game plan. Nick chose defense over attack and we played for a draw. I can understand wanting to be conservative with a backup CB, RB, and LB already on the field but that Fire team wasn't threatening and it would have been nice to see what our full-power attack could have done.

I understand sticking with the game plan but Haak is not a like-for-like with Perea so the game plan was out the window at that point. Perea is a pure box to box 8, Sands and Haak both play like full-on CDMs. When Perea went down we didn't have a sub that let us stick with the game plan. Nick chose defense over attack and we played for a draw. I can understand wanting to be conservative with a backup CB, RB, and LB already on the field but that Fire team wasn't threatening and it would have been nice to see what our full-power attack could have done.
All of this. Haak played fine, but it should have been Ojeda or Fernandez for Perea, moving Santi back to the midfield. The offense was sluggish and struggled to push through Chicago's high press. Santi would have helped progress the ball more than Haak, and Chicago was never enough of a threat to need Haak and Sands protecting the back line.

Any points during this road trip help, and the injuries are mounting, but it still feels there could have been more last night.

All of this. Haak played fine, but it should have been Ojeda or Fernandez for Perea, moving Santi back to the midfield. The offense was sluggish and struggled to push through Chicago's high press. Santi would have helped progress the ball more than Haak, and Chicago was never enough of a threat to need Haak and Sands protecting the back line.

Any points during this road trip help, and the injuries are mounting, but it still feels there could have been more last night.
This.

Cushing says he wants an attack mindset. But he coaches consistently defensively.

I don't think I would be angry if he had put in Ojeda or Fernandez and we had lost 2-1 or 3-2. It would have been a lot more fun to watch, even taking an L.

Wins are worth 3 points.
Ties are worth 1 point.

The incentive is clear absent extenuating circumstances that make a win much less likely.

For some reason the match is being replayed on the YES Network right now .

Has this been going on all year?

Cushing said post game that the reason Haak was the sub in was to provide McFarlane, on his first MLS start, more defensive cover.

I can understand that, but based on how stagnant the offense was, figured Haak would later be subbed out for a winger, and moving Santi back centrally, but that never happened.

Gotta fill the All Star break with some content.

YES is only showing it if they've been given the rights to by Apple. They can't just willy-nilly decide to record something and reair it. If they've been given permission to re-air NYCFC games, that's an interesting development in the Apple agreement with MLS.

Reactions: LionNYC and 413Blue
Cushing said post game that the reason Haak was the sub in was to provide McFarlane, on his first MLS start, more defensive cover.

I can understand that, but based on how stagnant the offense was, figured Haak would later be subbed out for a winger, and moving Santi back centrally, but that never happened.

Cushing watched too much Southgate ball during the Euros and got inspired to revert to his old defensive ways.