MLS - July 15 - Philadelphia (Away)

just another game that demonstrated our toothless attack without gabby.

here's hoping a leagues cup break and signing an actual striker better than segal will improve things for us. Parks and Sands both need a break.

and anybody know why cushing left out talles?

I do not like Andre Blake and how talented he is.

Poor defending gave up both of those goals, and we don't have enough attacking prowess to be able to make up for it.

Chanot was a god out there tonight.

Reactions: moogoo
That goal was Barraza’s fault
Not if Tayvon clears the ball when he had a chance before Barazza even came out. If that’s Chanot or Martins that’s cleared for a corner.

Gray can’t be an outside back (his crossing is brutal) and now he’s making basic CB mistakes. Sometimes you get hung out to dry as a CB and have to do 1-1 defending or sell out to clear the ball. I’m struggling to find what Gray does well.

That goal was Barraza’s fault
Respecfully disagree. In stoppage time the Philly defender launched the ball out for a corner after Blake's save. Gray should've orbited the ball once he felt contact.

Barraza perhaps could have done better - but he never had the chance.

Gray can be a decent backup CB for this team. It's his true position. That said, with your backup CB, you get one poor game per year. Tonight was his.

Respecfully disagree. In stoppage time the Philly defender launched the ball out for a corner after Blake's save. Gray should've orbited the ball once he felt contact.

Barraza perhaps could have done better - but he never should have had the chance.

Gray can be a decent backup CB for this team. It's his true position. That said, with your backup CB, you get one poor game per year. Tonight was his.

Bingo. I was thinking “Philly’s defenders wouldn’t have hesitated and would have cleared.” Gray is ahead of the attacker facing his own end line and feels contact like he might get beaten to the ball and lose possession right in front of his goal. Launch it into row Z.

Barraza perhaps could have done better - but he never had the chance.

Gray had his back to the field at that point Barraza is in charge to call the shots. Barraza should have called for him to clear it. Gray should have been stronger but the moment Barraza comes off his line like that it's his job to get that ball.

I would put both goals at least partially on Barraza. His positioning was horrible on the first goal. It was a high-lofted cross that provided plenty of time for Barraza to transition across the goal. There was no excuse for him to leave 3 feet of space between himself and the post like that. Barraza came across super casually with the cross and was still floating into position at the time of the shot.

Reactions: Revfugee and Gene
Watched the highlights, looked over the stats…
Good and Messy is what it seems like with this team.

I suppose Nick has his reasons for not answering but I’m beyond benefit of the doubt.
I’m mostly referencing the Pereira part. He’s been our only reliable player on offense we had a a week off and facing a month of pointless bullshit. If he’s not hurt he has to play.

FWIW, GP and Talles didn’t get on the team bus after the game but rather went to their own vehicles to go wherever they were going…

Maybe they missed the bus to the stadium?

• Wow
Reactions: moogoo
Not if Tayvon clears the ball when he had a chance before Barazza even came out. If that’s Chanot or Martins that’s cleared for a corner.

Gray can’t be an outside back (his crossing is brutal) and now he’s making basic CB mistakes. Sometimes you get hung out to dry as a CB and have to do 1-1 defending or sell out to clear the ball. I’m struggling to find what Gray does well.

Gray is normally a fairly decent to good 1v1 defender. he could have/should have been stronger in this situation. The confusion with barraza coming out didn't help, but his task to shield the ball shouldn't have changed. that's why i put more of the blame on him. though barraza is not without blame.

the whole gabby and talles situation with nick is really baffling. and his excuse in that tweet is just not good enough.