MLS - July 23 - Miami (Home)

There was totally a yellow card given to a Miami player for a foul on Thiago in the second half that never made it to the match report.

I think the Taty goal was onside but once the offside call was made I don't know that the error was clear enough in VAR to overturn. I'm not too mad about it because I think the first goal, Maxi's goal, could easily have been disallowed for that arm tug in the lead-up (was it Santi?) and/or possibly for Maxi being offside.

He looks level with the ball to me.
If attackers are ahead of the final defender (minus the goalkeeper), as Malte and Taty are here, and a pass is made, the player receiving the pass must be level with or behind the ball when the pass is played to be in an onside position.
You're arguing that Taty is ahead of the ball?

To me, Taty's chest looks ahead of the ball - which is behind Malte's foot - when considering the angle. I would not quibble with anyone that thought otherwise as it is close, but if this were MInnesota and Colorado, I'd think the same. As close as it is, VAR appropriately did not overturn the call on the field.

It is disappointing that we could not see one more goal from Taty, but as someone else noted on this thread, how great it is that his last goal buried New Jersey.

Well I’m clear on what went down now. I never saw the flag at the stadium (nor did the people next to me) or in the video and that’s why I was confused. So thanks folks!
If you want to see some (IMHO) questionable VAR, watch the Orlando v. Philly highlights.

The Boss is happy tonight.

I unfortunately had non sports fan friends over tonight so could not watch the game. (Not 100 percent sure if ESPN plus would have been blacked out or not anyway ?) So I can't comment on the quality of play but I do think it's very important we got a third straight clean sheet. Heber or someone else filling Taty's shoes is important but for going far in the playoffs or even (hopefully) repeating it's vital we stopped being a sieve in the back like we were in the first handful of games under Cushing.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
How was the send off for Taty? Was on a flight. Hope it was a loud standing ovation!
Glad we won!

decent. I didn’t stick around for the postgame. But the fans all knew. Worst kept secret.

Reactions: twsj91
How was the send off for Taty? Was on a flight. Hope it was a loud standing ovation!
Glad we won!
I was watching online so the crowd noise doesn't come through all that well, but it was a very enthusiastic standing O (he was subbed off at 60'). The Yankees post-game coverage is over so YES is replaying the game right now.

Reactions: twsj91
Glad we won!

Great ovation for him right before he left the stadium as well. He came out to sign a few autographs and take pictures at the City Send Off and the place blew up.

Great ovation for him right before he left the stadium as well. He came out to sign a few autographs and take pictures at the City Send Off and the place blew up.
Small cavil, but up until Villa left the team would almost always come over and salute the SS after a victory. I guess it’s maybe too much to ask for every match but given the moment tonight one would think they might have done it. The SS would have gone bonkers. Not sure what happened to that practice but Would been great tonight.

Chapman and Elfath. Both fucked us against Red Bull and fucked us again here tonight. Why don’t they like us to have nice things?
View attachment 12182
This looks to me clearly offside to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure Maxi was off on the first goal but I won't complain, lol.

From my perspective, we gained and lost a goal to offside today, so I don't really care. Either way the better team won!

Reactions: mgarbowski
Really nice night tonight. Great crowd -- listed at over 23,000. Largest -- by far -- of the season.

The scene after the game was wild. Taty came out to sign outside where the players exit, there were a ton of fans out there, and he signed for a really long time. Really felt the love. I don't ever remember seeing that many fans waiting to greet the players, and it was truly a wild scene.

I thought Taty was behind the ball on his goal. If you look at the mow pattern, it sure looked like the ball was ahead of Taty.

Small cavil, but up until Villa left the team would almost always come over and salute the SS after a victory. I guess it’s maybe too much to ask for every match but given the moment tonight one would think they might have done it. The SS would have gone bonkers. Not sure what happened to that practice but Would been great tonight.
Maybe this was Villa and maybe it was the club. During the Villa years players were given balls at the end of every match to send into the stands. Many of the players threw/kicked those to the supporters. So there was that reason to come down to the SS. Either way it was a nice tradition.

I've been watching the replay this morning. The broadcast had a couple of issues.

First, I see why people who were watching on TV thought maybe VAR overturned Taty's goal. They did a poor job of communicating what happened. At the game, the ball went in the net, Taty started celebrating, but after a short delay, of maybe 8-10 seconds max, everyone realized the offside flag was up and no goal was awarded. The score on the board never showed 2-0. Then there was a lengthy review by the VAR but not the ref and it stood. Ian never seemed to notice and went on and on about Taty and class and what a great goal and all that during the review without ever telling anyone the offside flag was up and that the review would have to reverse the call for it to be a goal. And the score on the broadcast did show 2-0 even though the goal was not given. I think Joe knew but Ian was on a roll and Joe kept quiet until play started and he finally and very low key said the call on the field was offside and VAR did not overturn. I love Ian but he lost sight of what happened on the field for a while there.
Second, they eventually got it right, but they missed Heber doing the Taty goal celebration mask when it happened, and took almost 10 minutes to go back and show it. There's no shame in missing it live because who knew it was coming? But they showed replay after replay in the next 3-4 minutes, including parts of the celebration multiple times, and kept missing it before they finally went back.

On the upside, they had a very nice interview with Heber after the game and the best part was when Joe asked him a question and Air Bear said, yeah, OK fine, we'll get to that, but first my question to you is did you call me "savage" again? :) :cool::)

Last edited: