MLS - July 23 - Miami (Home)

So, sounds like another dust up between our own supporters last night.

I'm starting to think our supporters are basically Scots (as per Willie).

• Haha
Reactions: mgarbowski
Coincidentally enough, in GMS's first game with us there were two Scots sitting next to me who were Aberdeen fans and just happened to be in town. Easily some of the nicest folks I've randomly met because of this team.
I was in Scotland years ago and was treated with incredible openness and a what felt like instant friendship.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think NYCFC was unfortunate to have the Taty goal ruled offsides. He looked on to me, but also not clear and obvious to overturn it IMO. I thought VAR was well used there.

I think NYCFC was fortunate to not have the Maxi goal ruled offsides. He looked slightly offsides to me, but also not clear and obvious to overturn it IMO. I thought the VAR was well used there.

I think NYCFC was even more fortunate to not have the Maxi goal disallowed due to a foul from Santi. Thought that would be overturned via VAR and should have been.

This shit evens out and we often only remember the ones that don’t go our way

I think NYCFC was unfortunate to have the Taty goal ruled offsides. He looked on to me, but also not clear and obvious to overturn it IMO. I thought VAR was well used there.

I think NYCFC was fortunate to not have the Maxi goal ruled offsides. He looked slightly offsides to me, but also not clear and obvious to overturn it IMO. I thought the VAR was well used there.

I think NYCFC was even more fortunate to not have the Maxi goal disallowed due to a foul from Santi. Thought that would be overturned via VAR and should have been.

This shit evens out and we often only remember the ones that don’t go our way

I was curious, so I looked at the Maxi goal. For reference, here's the Maxi point of contact from Youtube:

I think the defenders right leg is nearly perfectly aligned with Maxi, Maxi's right knee and wrist may be an inch or two offside.

I'd agree. I think they "screwed up" two extremely close calls with a net-zero impact for us.

Two other things from last night knocking around in my skull…

1) I thought it was great that Higuain was on for the full 90 and came away thinking he was more of an impediment for Miami than anything. It could have been an off night or I might just be silly.

2)Hebers 6th goal comes from just 478 minutes on the pitch.

I thought it was great that Higuain was on for the full 90 and came away thinking he was more of an impediment for Miami than anything. It could have been an off night or I might just be silly.
From what I've read, Neville switched him from starter to sub (with a spell of DNPs in between I believe) to much success. I don't think he can manage a full game at a humid 84º.

Two other things from last night knocking around in my skull…

1) I thought it was great that Higuain was on for the full 90 and came away thinking he was more of an impediment for Miami than anything. It could have been an off night or I might just be silly.

2)Hebers 6th goal comes from just 478 minutes on the pitch.

their usual starter, campana must have been injured since he wasn't in the squad at all. not sure if even traveled. he would have been more dangerous for sure, but higuain, despite being generally ineffective had some flashes of class. when it was close and we were absorbing some pressure, I was worried that flash of class with a sprinkle of pozuelo would have equalized. luckily, we held strong.

I've been watching the replay this morning. The broadcast had a couple of issues.

First, I see why people who were watching on TV thought maybe VAR overturned Taty's goal. They did a poor job of communicating what happened. At the game, the ball went in the net, Taty started celebrating, but after a short delay, of maybe 8-10 seconds max, everyone realized the offside flag was up and no goal was awarded. The score on the board never showed 2-0. Then there was a lengthy review by the VAR but not the ref and it stood. Ian never seemed to notice and went on and on about Taty and class and what a great goal and all that during the review without ever telling anyone the offside flag was up and that the review would have to reverse the call for it to be a goal. And the score on the broadcast did show 2-0 even though the goal was not given. I think Joe knew but Ian was on a roll and Joe kept quiet until play started and he finally and very low key said the call on the field was offside and VAR did not overturn. I love Ian but he lost sight of what happened on the field for a while there.
Second, they eventually got it right, but they missed Heber doing the Taty goal celebration mask when it happened, and took almost 10 minutes to go back and show it. There's no shame in missing it live because who knew it was coming? But they showed replay after replay in the next 3-4 minutes, including parts of the celebration multiple times, and kept missing it before they finally went back.

On the upside, they had a very nice interview with Heber after the game and the best part was when Joe asked him a question and Air Bear said, yeah, OK fine, we'll get to that, but first my question to you is did you call me "savage" again? :) :cool::)
where can i find this interview?! Espn+ doesn't have it :/

So, sounds like another dust up between our own supporters last night.

I'm starting to think our supporters are basically Scots (as per Willie).

Nice analogy since we had dueling Scots colormen for this game (Ian Joy vs. Ray Hudson).

Sadly have not been able to find Hudson's commentary for this one.

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
their usual starter, campana must have been injured since he wasn't in the squad at all. not sure if even traveled. he would have been more dangerous for sure, but higuain, despite being generally ineffective had some flashes of class. when it was close and we were absorbing some pressure, I was worried that flash of class with a sprinkle of pozuelo would have equalized. luckily, we held strong.

Yes, Campana was out with a knock.

Reactions: moogoo
Matt Doyle said:
But anyway, for as similar as the Pigeons look to the team that was so good under Deila, that inability/unwillingness to get pressure to the ball makes them very different. Maybe in the end it’s nothing, but I’m seeing a giant red flag.

Doyle wrote this in his column this weekend about the team. Based on what I’ve seen, it does seem that the pressed has slowed down/is less consistent, specifically in the Miami game. I don’t know if it’s a red flag or a tactical move during the hot summer months to keep from burn out. What does someone else see?

Reactions: FootyLovin
Doyle wrote this in his column this weekend about the team. Based on what I’ve seen, it does seem that the pressed has slowed down/is less consistent, specifically in the Miami game. I don’t know if it’s a red flag or a tactical move during the hot summer months to keep from burn out. What does someone else see?

Cushing said he made a lot of subs in this game because of the heat; not only in the game, but also the heat they've experienced in training. So I could absolutely see a scenario in which your hypothesis is true.

FBref defensive actions are down to be sure. Though Cushing's time started with a bad defensive stretch followed by shutouts, and he indicated he was going to reemphasize defense, the defensive actions have stayed down. I'm not sure what's going on, and whether he has a different defensive approach, or maybe we're focusing on other things and the pressing has kind of been overlooked, or if it's a summer heat adjustment as others suggested.

FBref defensive actions are down to be sure. Though Cushing's time started with a bad defensive stretch followed by shutouts, and he indicated he was going to reemphasize defense, the defensive actions have stayed down. I'm not sure what's going on, and whether he has a different defensive approach, or maybe we're focusing on other things and the pressing has kind of been overlooked, or if it's a summer heat adjustment as others suggested.

Could have also been an adjustment to prepare for Tatys departure. If Heber ends up as the starter there is no way we can run the same level of press we did with taty.

maybe reason why taty came off so early? he's got ice on his left ham

Last edited: